Steampunk FlisKits ACME Spitfire Build: A Work in Progress

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh my..... you are one awesome rocket builder!!! I want to see a bigger pic of that rocket, i too just went & bought some gem stickers to use as rivets, I can only hope they turn out half as good as yours.

Oh man.....I need to finish mine. I was doing one that was a complete ripoff / homage to FatBoy's steampunk. It's been half painted for well over a year now.

IMG_3705.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice words, everyone.

TopRamen... if you try them let me know how they work out for you. I have always had good luck with them. Here is another rocket I did where I used stickers for rivets....

I did rivets on the "Vin de Vinci" as well. But somehow, it didn't look quite that good.

Hey, Dave.... How ya been? Haven't chatted with you for a while.

Here is the latest progress from all four sides. Not a lot done lately, but I have just over 300 rivets on it so far....

DSCF7014.jpg

DSCF7015.jpg

DSCF7016.jpg

DSCF7017.jpg

.... i too just went & bought some gem stickers to use as rivets, I can only hope they turn out half as good as yours.

Were you able to get the rounded stickers or did you get the facetted stickers? Either one will work fine, but the rounded ones are getting harder and harder to find.

Hey, Dave.... How ya been? Haven't chatted with you for a while.

Here is the latest progress from all four sides. Not a lot done lately, but I have just over 300 rivets on it so far....

Yeah, I was away from the forum for most of the winter / non-flying season.

This thing is looking great!

it looks fun with the multi colored rivets could come up with another theme for a spitfire, call it the party crasher maybe.

fantastic work. also some one was using HO and O scale train rivit decals elsewhere on the forum but I forget where I saw that at, probably in scratch built, but those were much smaller diameter.

The multi-color rivets are only because it isn't primed or painted yet. They definitely won't stay that way! Below is a picture with a first light coat of primer. Also, the rivet decals you mention are from Micro-Mark. I have several sheets of them and plan to use some on this rocket too as tiny details.

DSCF7018.jpg

I simply LOVE how creative youse guys is! :)

I really love the creativity in hiding the launch lug. Looking forward to seeing this one completed and flown!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I know they were going to get primed over, just a thought the colors gave me, as this rocket is possibly the most oddly shaped blank canvas ever created.

...as this rocket is possibly the most oddly shaped blank canvas ever created.
Isn't that the truth. Proof of that is to just look through the ACME Spitfire gallery on the forum and see the creative pieces of work that people are doing with it.

Fatboy, I'm about to steampunk my first....anything thanks to you & your insperational rockets. Though I want a spitfire, for now my first steampunk will be a Madcow Scooter, I think I'll go easy on it, but I'll just have to see how it evolves. It should arrive next week.

Fatboy, I'm about to steampunk my first....anything thanks to you & your insperational rockets. Though I want a spitfire, for now my first steampunk will be a Madcow Scooter, I think I'll go easy on it, but I'll just have to see how it evolves. It should arrive next week.

CRC... Thanks! Start a build thread on your project so I can see your progress! It's always great to see what other people do. I think we can all draw a lot of inspiration from each other.... it only makes the hobby stronger, right?

...I really love the creativity in hiding the launch lug...

Thanks, Jim! You provided a kit that is incredibly fun to build, and offers so much potential for customizing.

i just got one in the mail today. I hope you don't mind if i completely rip off yours.

Well, I guess I called it pretty well at the beginning of the thread. You, sir, are a mad genius, who would do Agatha Heterodyne proud. Can't wait to see it finished.

It's been a while since I have worked on this. This picture shows the gauges. Each circle will be a gauge face. It will make a lot more sense after paint, so please be patient.

IMG_20140524_223037_947-1.jpg

I finally got back to working on this. Today I sprayed some primer on the body and worked on the nose cone.

acme0020.jpg

acme0021.jpg

acme0022.jpg

acme0023.jpg

Looks Great!!! of course. got a colour in mind? copper? silver?

I will use a few different metallic colors: gold, brass, copper, bronze, etc.

I have been working in the nosecone and am getting closer to painting. It has over 500 rivets so far.

i was just about to ask about the lack of nose cone... cant wait to see a pic of that! Keep up the good work!

I think this Acme is better than your first. You were a very big inspiration with my Mega mosquito build. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, Bill. I am liking the way this is turning out compared to my first one (which I crashed yesterday). I like the way your Mega Mosquito turned out. Nice work.

It broke a fin in half on a hard landing. The nice thing about repairing a steampunk rocket is you just glue it back together, add a panel and some rivets over the repair job and then add paint and dirt. Done.

It broke a fin in half on a hard landing. The nice thing about repairing a steampunk rocket is you just glue it back together, add a panel and some rivets over the repair job and then add paint and dirt. Done.
That's the beauty of steampunk, know one will ever know it was repaired!

Latest posts

Back