Steampunk FlisKits ACME Spitfire Build: A Work in Progress

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBoy

Random Part-time Hobbyist
Reaction score
About 4 years ago I built a steampunked ACME Spitfire pictured below on the left, and I wrote up the following build thread for it:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Spitfire-Steampunk-style&highlight=steampunk

I have started building a second steampunk ACME Spitfire shown in the second and third pictures below. Structuraly, it is per the FlisKits instructions, except that I added some balsa stringers under the paper shroud in the rear to help support the fins. I did the same thing in the last build, except this time I ran them the full length of the paper shroud.

The second picture below shows the body all put together. I wrapped a layer of zebra wood veneer around the top section of the rocket. I also laminated the veneer on each side of a thin piece of balsa to make Fin #1. I coated the zebra wood veneer with Minwax Polycrylic. I soaked the paper shroud in CA and mounted the fins with epoxy. They are rock solid.

I started adding some of the details (shown in the third picture). These details were all cut out of manila file folders using my Silhouette Cameo cutting machine. To get the thin wraps around the ends of each body tube section and the decorative scallops at the top of section 3 to follow the curved edge of the body tubes, I used Adobe Illustrator to draw them out to match the wrap templates supplied with the kit. Cutting with the Cameo saved me hours of X-Acto knife work. I added some splines to the leading edge of fin #4, and some "shingles" to fin#3.

The next step is to add the launch lug, then more details, and then hundreds of rivets.....

IMG_3684 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3567 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

Your first one was awesome, I don't doubt that this new one will be as well. I like the zebrawood "veneer" on the top section and the one fin.

Thanks, Blades! These kind of builds are fun because there aren't any rules to follow.

Today I added some louvers....

IMG_20140323_183355_184.jpg

Looks like a "Doll House" rocket. thats not a bad thing... :lol:
Very Nice work.:clap: You like them "marshmellons" too?.

Thanks!!

I forgot to mention that if this turns out well my plan is to donate it and a matching display stand to the Cannon Auction at NARAM 56.

I got the length of launch lug installed. It passes through the shroud and through the bottom centering ring. The circles on the body are part of the launch lug supports that will make more sense later.

IMG_20140324_222850_713-1.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see another outstanding creation from Jeff and a post from Blades!

I can bring it to the June MASA launch (to show - not to fly), but it will be in Colorado during the July launch.

I am disguising the launch lug to look like a drain tube running down the side of the rocket. In this picture you can see the "tube" come down, turn to run parallel to the tapered shroud, then angle out away from the rocket. The actual launch lug goes straight through the shroud and out through the bottom of the aft ring.

IMG_20140330_163834_810-1.jpg

I am disguising the launch lug to look like a drain tube running down the side of the rocket. In this picture you can see the "tube" come down, turn to run parallel to the tapered shroud, then angle out away from the rocket. The actual launch lug goes straight through the shroud and out through the bottom of the aft ring.
Nice drain tube! Are gutters next? ;)

Gutters.... hmmmm.....

I added the next step to the launch lug tonight - one of three pipes that will join the main pipe.....

IMG_20140401_214057_886-1.jpg

Very, very clever!
I also like the double layered joints.

Thanks, guys!

I got the second of three pipes that will attach to the launch lug installed tonight....

IMG_20140403_221744_393-1.jpg

Very, very clever!
I also like the double layered joints.

Chris.... Not to highjack my own thread, but how did your tech session at NARCON go? I had wanted to see it but they had so many good sessions at the same time and made it hard to chose.

Here is the launch lug with all three pipes feeding into it. The launch lug and pipes are all made from 3/16" launch lug material, and the y-branches are made from 1/4" launch lug material. It still looks a little rough but it will all get smoothed out and cleaned up before primer.....

DSCF7007 - Copy.jpg

Chris.... Not to highjack my own thread, but how did your tech session at NARCON go? I had wanted to see it but they had so many good sessions at the same time and made it hard to chose.
Hi Jeff,
It went very well. I was probably talking too fast to get all the material in!
I agree - NARCON had too many good sessions.
It was one of the best NAR events I've ever attended.

Wow, those are 2 of the coolest rockets I've seen in my life, very good job sir!!!!! I'd love to own something like that, I think I'll have to one day buy that kit.

You really should get a Spitfire, CRC. It is a fun kit to build.

This picture is a vent screen that I added to the shroud made up of sandwiching a piece of aluminum mesh between layers of manila folder material.....

IMG_20140413_103836_668-1.jpg

Very cool stuff. Your steam punk rocket that was built earlier looks great. This one looks more like Victorian Architect meets laudanum in high doses.

I'm liking it alot. Love the "stand" pipes, and all the neat details. Carry on. I can see some pastels and ginger-bread work happening. Is there going to be any ivy involved?

Last edited:
Thanks!

The next step is to add rivets - lots of them. I use little round stickers like the ones shown below to make rivets of different shapes and sizes. I get these at craft and scrapbook stores. They are self-adhesive, but I glue them on with Aleene's Tacky Glue for a more secure bond....

DSCF7012.jpg

That looks like it's a lot of fun!

Keep up the Good Work!

Hopefully we'll get to see several successful launch videos of it.

Pointy side Uh... um... Up? :wink:
Jim

Thanks!

Here is a discharge tube on the aft shroud between two of the fins, and a view of some of the rivets....

IMG_20140428_214848_725-1.jpg

You're an artist as good as any other, just that your medium is rockets. I can't decide if you should send these pictures to "Sport Rocketry" or "Architectural Digest". Your first Spitfire was awesome. Ryan and I admired it a lot when we first saw it last summer. I bet this will be just as good/better.

Thanks!

The next step is to add rivets - lots of them. I use little round stickers like the ones shown below to make rivets of different shapes and sizes. I get these at craft and scrapbook stores. They are self-adhesive, but I glue them on with Aleene's Tacky Glue for a more secure bond....

Thanks for sharing those! I like doing Rivet Details. I'm going to get some of these and give them a try.

Thanks for the nice words, everyone.

TopRamen... if you try them let me know how they work out for you. I have always had good luck with them. Here is another rocket I did where I used stickers for rivets....

asset.jpg

Back