Steampunk FlisKits ACME Spitfire Build: A Work in Progress

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahhhh... there she is, the crowning jewel, the missing link, the Coup de grâce, the consummate clincher the errr... nose cone. looks great! a very well conceptualized and executed design!

Beautiful work!
I like how the copper paint is just a bit darker than the body color.

Jeff. Do you hand paint the copper and all subsequent color additions?

Chris... Thanks. That means a lot coming from you. I was originally hoping there would be more contrast with the copper, but this works.

Sean.... Yes, so far the details have been hand brushed. I had hoped to airbrush them but the masking would be a monumental task.

I just need to add the gages, but here are some final views.....

IMG_20140723_245030_464-1.jpg

IMG_20140723_245041_014-1.jpg

IMG_20140723_245103_473-1.jpg

IMG_20140723_245017_340-1.jpg

Very nice. So good, in fact, that I am afraid to try to steampunk one myself. It will never, ever, ever be that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

WF.... Thanks. You never know until you try it! Experiment and have fun. There are no rules.

Dick... Thanks, but it is flyable and ready to do so. My intention is to not fly it myself but rather donate it to the Cannon Auction at NARAM on Monday.

You really should post a thread just on your weathering techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thanks everybody for all of your kind words throughout this build! I added the gauges and now this one is finished and ready to donate to the auction.

Final 1.jpg

Final 2.jpg

Final 3.jpg

Final 4.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Just completely, amazingly ridiculous. I am in awe. I expect your rocket should grab top dollar. It is truly a flying work of art.

I am getting close to the primer step on mine. It won't be this good, but hopefully it is half as good.

I had a slight change of plans with this rocket while out here at NARAM. I originally built this with the intention of donating it to the Cannon Auction, but I decided to take a shot and enter it in the Museum of Flight contest. It ended up getting chosen to be part of the group that will be on display at the museum, alongside some other pretty amazing rockets.

I had a slight change of plans with this rocket while out here at NARAM. I originally built this with the intention of donating it to the Cannon Auction, but I decided to take a shot and enter it in the Museum of Flight contest. It ended up getting chosen to be part of the group that will be on display at the museum, alongside some other pretty amazing rockets.

That is awesome and well deserved!

And having only read about it on this thread before - seeing it in person during the voting and subsequent packing for the trip to Seattle - was just amazing. I think the whimsy of this model will really strike a chord with folks seeing it alongside such models as the NARAM Classic Model winning Farside-X (from two years ago), and a wide array of other models will do what that exhibit is supposed to do - give folks an idea of the breadth of the hobby far beyond what one can pick up in a mass market retailer.

Amazing work Jeff, congrats on getting it chosen! How did you do the weathering? I plan be at the Museum 8/15, I don't suppose it'll be on display yet?

Thanks, Paul. I don't think the display is supposed to be up and running until later this year - for some reason Thanksgiving time sounds right. Sounds like you will need to plan a return trip out there!

Here is what I did for weathering: If you are going to weather a rocket you don't need to worry about sanding it smooth. Little globs of glue and stuff just add to the look of bubbling/blistering metal or paint. First, I painted the entire rocket black. The black undercoat not only brings out the richness in the metallic color, but the way I sprayed the metallic color in the next step adds depth to the 3D details and helps the nooks and crannies fill with black. When I sprayed the metallic color I sprayed it at a very sharp angle, almost parallel to the center of the rocket (which this particular rocket really has no center!). What that does is leaves the bottom portion of the 3D details in the paint "shadow" so really only the tops of the rivets have color while the bottom remains black. Then, with a thin paint brush I brushed on some green, brown and rust color around the pipes making it look like rust and corrosion are flowing down (see detail pictures below).

Then for the grime I just squirted a little blob of cheap black acrylic craft paint onto a Styrofoam plate and added some water near it so I could water down some of the paint or keep some of it thick. Then using a cheap 1" brush, wadded up paper towel, q-tip, or even just my fingers, I blobbed on some paint/water mixture onto one section at a time and then wiped it off with a paper towel or q-tip before it dried, wiping from the front of the rocket towards the rear. That build up the grime around joints, rivets, etc and makes it look like it is streaked towards the ground. Do only 1 section at a time because the paint will dry too fast and it will all be black again. You also need to experiment a bit with different water/paint ratios and different dry times before wiping, and you may need to go over spots a few times to get the effect you want.

After it was all done I sprayed a dull clear coat to get rid of the shininess, particularly on the copper paint I used.

That's the cheap and simple way I weathered this one. There are more advanced techniques and products (especially for model railroad builders) that would produce way better results, but I am not that familiar with them. Micro Mark makes a product called "Rust and Dust" which is a 4 step application of a rust wash, a grime wash, a clear coat, then literally brushing on dust. I used this on a project before and it really makes them look dirty. I would liek to some day learn more about these advanced techniques and products.

Also... a fellow steampunk rocket builder and I are collaborating on an article that we will submit to Sport Rocketry in hopes that it gets published in an upcoming issue.

Rust 2.JPG

Rust 1.JPG

Last edited:
Also... a fellow steampunk rocket builder and I are collaborating on an article that we will submit to Sport Rocketry in hopes that it gets published in an upcoming issue.
I look forward to reading it! Maybe that'll motivate me to build the ACME Spitfire hanging in my shop...

Just finished a third one...

Attachments

• View 1.jpg
    View 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 38
  • View 2.jpg
    View 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 36
  • View 3.jpg
    View 3.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 51
  • View 4.jpg
    View 4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 37
Superb! There is no better rocket for steampunking (yes, I verbed it) than the Spitfire IMHO.

'steampunkification? 'steampunkisation'? :)

P.S. I am soooo green eyed at the talent that abounds here, great models guys :)

Back