Apogee Saturns

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckjohnson

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just wanted to say hi in the scale section. I just got back into rocketry last year, but in the last six months have built and launched an Estes Saturn V and an Apogee Saturn V. I'm getting ready to start on my Apogee Saturn 1B. This is probably where I will spend most of my forum time as scale builds are my choice in rockets.
Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

-Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

1395466258146.jpg

Chris,
Those look nice! May I ask what do you think of the Apogee Saturn kits, in terms of cost vs. value and quality. They are among the most expensive NASA flying scale kits available today, so I am curious what you think.
Thanks

They are pricey. When I was first looking at a large scale Saturn V, it was the only one I could find besides Sherry's Hot Rockets. But the SHR Saturn was more expensive. So, I bit the bullet and bought the Apogee. I don't regret it for a second. The quality is outstanding, the customer service is great, and the detail is very high. Unlike the Estes Saturn, the Apogee is very detailed in the transitions and the CSM. The instructions are video done by Tim that show you how to go through the steps. That does help in a few places. I just copied the instruction videos to my tablet so I could watch them on my bench.

The SHR Saturn was larger, and didn't come with parachutes either.

The building techniques on the Apogee Saturn show you how to build it light weight. That big rocket only weighs 39 Oz. That is ready to fly (without motor). But, it is very durable. It's pretty surprising how solid that rocket.

This is video of my Apogee Saturn launching. There are two different camera angles. An Aerotech G64-4 is perfect for that rocket.

[video]Maiden flight of my Apogee Saturn V rocket: https://youtu.be/NjblteeEgXc[/video]

Wow! It looks like you have a very nice space program in the corner of your living room! The rockets all look very nice.

I tried the link to video, but there is something wrong with it. I'd love to see the flight.

I have the Estes kit, but I'm a little intimidated to build it.

Great job. Build them light, build them strong and you don't need a huge motor to fly. That big, wide and light body loves to blow around on the pad with the slightest of breeze. Now you can have twice the fun using an H!

Thanks everyone. It really is a fun model.

Thirsty, the Estes kit is a great flyer also. I fly mine on an Aerotech E15-4. That is the perfect motor for it.
When I get back to my desktop I will fix the video link, and also post video to my Estes Saturn. If you follow the fixed link, you can see other videos I've uploaded. My Estes Saturn is in there, along with the Mercury Redstone, and the QCC Explorer on an F12-5 reload going up to 1400'.

They are pricey. When I was first looking at a large scale Saturn V, it was the only one I could find besides Sherry's Hot Rockets.
Not to take anything away from the Apogee kit, Sirius Rocketry makes a great 1/64 scale Saturn V, more costly, heavier, and high power. Even more detail than the Apogee, with a resin cast SM.

Let me rephrase my search parameters, I was looking for mid-power also because I don't have my L1... Yet. :)

You do get a DVD. The instructions are all video, so they are very helpful. Tim walks you through the entire build, showing you how to do it, pointing out potential problems, and giving build advice.

I've never worked with a Sirius Saturn V, but looking at photos of it, it doesn't appear to have more details than the Apogee. The Apogee CSM also had details done with a thick wrap.

I have considered a Sirius Saturn V after I get my L1. It is a beautiful kit and would be a neat addition to the collection.

hey Chris,
with your Apogee 1b....are you going to go with the Apollo 7 white and black tanks or the later all white tank versions? Going to look awesome either way!

Black & white. I like the contrasting colors.

Nice! the 1b is a beast anyway its painted. Just love that rocket. I am going to try the Fliskits 1b Chris...its kinda the exact opposite of the Apogee...its about 9 inches tall. Looks like its got a lot of detail in those 9 inches though.

hope you post pics of your build! lots of them!!! we like pictures!

Black & white. I like the contrasting colors.

hope you post pics of your build! lots of them!!! we like pictures!

I will post picks of my build. I took pics of my Saturn V build, and they can be seen HERE. I took pics pretty regularly throughout the build.

Here is the corrected link to my Apogee Saturn V launch:

[video=youtube;NjblteeEgXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjblteeEgXc[/video]

Here is a video to two flights of my Estes Saturn V flying on an Aerotech E15-4, and a flight of my Estes Mercury Redstone:

[video=youtube;DqUobs3fksg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqUobs3fksg[/video]

In the first flight, one of the parachutes of the main body gets tangled inside the lines of the other parachute. It still descended nicely without damage.

Are those the chutes the rocket comes with? Those are cool!!

Those are the parachutes that come with the Saturn. The main chute is big, as you can see in the picture at the end of the video.

Really nice straight boost on those launches. I really enjoyed the slow motion video as well. Thanks for sharing.

David

Thanks everyone! The videos from below are shot with a GoPro mounted on the legs of my launch pad. :)

Back