Looking for renamed Alpha-III kits sold in bulk.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A few days ago, I was looking for a good deal on the Estes Alpha-III.

I ran across someplace that had what appeared to be the Alpha-III kit with a different name, for buiid-it, take-it sessions. IIRC , it was made by Estes, not a ripoff clone. It uses the Alpha-III plastic fin unit, which is what I'm looking for, not any other kits that do not have that fin unit (so, thanks but do not need suggestions for other kits with other fin units).

Price was way below the Alpha-III in bulk, and IIRC they even sold them one by one.

I didn't save the link, and now I can't find it anywhere. I thought the name of it was "Build It", but Google can't find it.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Name of the kit, and/or links?

- George Gassaway

Thanks.

That's it.

Red Arrow Hobbies has them.

Uh, well, they might list them, HAVING them is a totally different thing.

Out of curiousity, I just looked. Don't see them. So, do you have a link, or were you being a troll?

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Just for clarity's sake, the Make It-Take It has a slightly longer BT (by 1/2 an inch) than the Alpha III and uses a two-piece injection molded nose cone which is quite a bit longer than the Alpha III NC. It's a common one used on a number of BT-50-based kits and RTFs (Nova Payloader is one kit, Athena, HiJinks and SkyTrax are three RTFs that use it).

Oddly enough an old thread about it on YORF just popped back up and has a number of tips for building it more quickly and flying it on small fields.

That is one heck of a price for a basic rocket kit. I'll keep that in mind the next the Boy Scouts want to do a rocket launch. The last time the Boy Scouts built rockets I got them from Pratt Hobbies, but I think I paid $4 or $5 each. The lack of needing to glue fins on can be good or bad depending on if you want the youth to have a bit more of a challenge or not.

Back