Next Gen Altimeters from Jolly Logic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, that is the beauty of an altimeter that records this amount of data. You can get data on things like ejection timing, descent rates, etc. and make adjustments for the next flight.
Which is why I love flying recording altimeters - my current favorites are the PerfectFlite Pnut and the tiny little Altus Metrum MicroPeak.

I am looking forward to adding Altimeter3 to this arsenal, with the added benefit of it being able to show me the data graphically without using a cable to a computer. Great stuff is coming :).

Any chance of a higher-range accelerometer this time around? ~22G is a bit low, especially since the light weight of these makes them tempting to verify mach-busting.

Well since the Altimeter 3 isn't available yet and my son's science fair project needs to be done by the end of April I "settled" for an Altimeter 2. If they happen to be available in the next couple weeks I might try to exchange it.

I mentioned that the Altimeter 3 had a iOS and Android app and my wife and kids all said "yeah, didn't you see him (Dan) pointing his phone at his rocket when he launched it?" I guess I was too busy trying to prep 5 rockets and trying to figure out why my E15 would never light. :facepalm:

Do these have Linux support? If they did I would be likely to buy a 100-G version (even better would be a 200-g version though).

I flew one of my StrongARMs on an H399 yesterday, which is about a 40g flight.
#facepalm#
Since I was testing AltimeterThree, it was not as helpful a flight as I would have liked. So I'm more motivated, let's say. I'll definitely build few now to test...

Last edited:
Is there a street date for the A3? Definitely would be interested in a 100G version too :)

No firm schedule yet.
Hardware is done, assembled, and charged up. Firmware is 90% done. iOS app is about 75% done. Once iOS app is done, about 40% of Android code will remain.
All software at this point...

I saw one of these briefly at the launch this weekend..change in display made for a very dramatic difference from first gen.

My buddy was flying in a Estes PSII E2X Ascender ..but even after using the hook and taping it..rocket was recovered with no altimeter . Adam was bummed was the altimeters first flight .

Kenny

My Altimeter 2 has had a dozen flights and I have never had any problems with it. It even rode a nose cone down that broke free of its parachute and survived.

Even I have a It Survived story. As I stood looking through the fence towards the secure area of Moffett Air Base (where my rocket had just landed), the president of our club walked up to me.
Him: "Did you lose a couple of altimeters?"
Me: "Uh, no--mine are on the other side of that building there."
Him:"Are you sure?" [He holds them up]
Me: "Wow, those look just like the two I had tied to the parachute!"
[Both altimeters read 1,274 feet.]
Me: "And that's how high they probably went!"
[After a few moments, I sheepishly accept them.]

Turns out the major difference between all of the altimeters (there were 11 in all, old and new, A1-A3, plus a Raven 2) is that the AltimeterTwo that fell had a much SHORTER flight duration, and a much faster DESCENT.
As a brain teaser, I showed a pair of AltimeterTwos to my family at dinner and said, "These AltimeterTwos were on the same flight, have a couple of radically different values, and both are 'correct.' What happened?"

The altimeters were fine after the fall, onto pavement from 1274 feet.

P.S. Never tie "a string to another string." Lesson learned.

great tip John!
I just saw apogee has the new alt one, I bought one right away!!! Cant wait to replace my estes POS with one that actualy records more then 50% of flights. This is my first jollylogic, also great idea with the sled clip, I'll get one of those one day too.

Saw my first 2014 model AltimeterTwo at the WAC launch at Sixty Acres in Remond, WA this afternoon. NICE!!

I gotta pull the trigger on one (at least).

Cant wait to replace my estes POS with one that actualy records more then 50% of flights.
Just curious, were any of those failed flights very high acceleration flights? Any other common characteristics?

Because of the way the replaceable battery is held in the Estes altimeter, I've wondered if very hi-g flights or the hi-g forces at nosescone ejection could cause battery contact to be lost. If a sufficient capacitance isn't used across the battery power source to provide power during such dropouts, the microcontroller could reset.

You can buy from https://www.jollylogic.com/store. We ship everywhere.

As a side note (if anyone cares), we're pretty agnostic as to where you buy our products. We make a little more money if you purchase directly from our website, but our resellers work for their margin and deserve every bit of it. So we're happy no matter where you buy.

So how do you add it to your cart on your home page??

Nevermind I found it

$10.50 to ship a little item? Really? Why can't it be placed in a bubble wrap envelope or heck a flat rate box is only $5.95? Just saying I mean it doesn't make sense

Last edited:
So how do you add it to your cart on your home page??

Nevermind I found it

$10.50 to ship a little item? Really? Why can't it be placed in a bubble wrap envelope or heck a flat rate box is only $5.95? Just saying I mean it doesn't make sense

Jolly Logic offers free First Class shipping in the US, If the site is adding a shipping charge, you might want to contact John to ask about it.

-- Roger

Jolly Logic offers free First Class shipping in the US, If the site is adding a shipping charge, you might want to contact John to ask about it.

-- Roger

Interesting. So this isn't normal for $10.50 for shipping. I did just notice that they offer free shipping in the US.

Apparently some how I managed to get a charge on the shipping, but now I can see the FREE option. OK cool. I figured it out.

Thanks jadebox for pointing that out

Last edited:
Thanks jadebox for pointing that out

You're welcome.

I should also mention that the altimeters are also available with free US shipping at other retailers. Well, at least one that I know of. :)

-- Roger

Gus,

Contact me at [email protected] . I'll either fix it or replace it. When you buy one of our altimeters, we make sure it works for you.

Even if it survived a crash? ;)
I have one that was in a payload bay. It keeps working but I can't tell if its charging since the Led does not light up. So either it is, or its not and I have just not depleted the last charge. I figured by the time it was repaired, I'd be lookin almost at getting a new one. :)

After buying and losing in flight a couple of Estes altimeters, I decided to splurge on a new Altimeter 2. It doesn't come with a hook, so I won't be tempted to attach it poorly and will hopefully not lose it.

I was a little surprised to see that it doesn't have a conventional on/off switch like the Estes, but relies on a quick press of the slightly-recessed single button to turn it on and offi. I presume that no one has experienced having the unit turn off in flight unexpectedly? I also presume that this doesn't consume a noticeable amount of power while off.

Back