Have Pink

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your encouragement guys!

Ari.

Richard:The thicker it is, the easier it is to laminate without wrinkles. There are still some wrinkles, especially where the surface of insulation foam is less than flat.
Ari.

Very true. I have 1.5 & 3mil and the latter is much easier to iron on, just have to learn better temp control on the iron. :wink:

Another question: with the dihederal in the wing did you have any issues with turning? I once built a high dihederal variation of my delta with as much frontal area above the motor as below. Boosted hands off no problem but would not turn without adding rudders.

Richard

Another question: with the dihederal in the wing did you have any issues with turning? I once built a high dihederal variation of my delta with as much frontal area above the motor as below. Boosted hands off no problem but would not turn without adding rudders.

Funny you should mention that. The 24mm version likes to turn right only. To make it turn left I have to dive it to gather speed. I assumed it was warpage int he wings, but now I'm wondering. In general, dihedral introduces roll-yaw coupling, so that rolling with elevons produces yaw as well and yawing with rudder introduces roll. Low aspect ratio increases roll rate and decreases adverse yaw, and high sweepback angle acts similarly to dihedral. Hmm. By comparison, Grob 103 which I used to fly simply rolls on one side when you turn the stick, traces a happily straight ground track in this slip and points the nose in the opposite direction. You need to lead your turn with the rudder, if you want to actually change your direction of flight.

Ari.

About that
My seriously overclocked Fischer-Price 286 won't let me see it! Even after I melted a brand new box of crayons and poured it over the video board for more colours! Maybe I need display that uses American voltage.....

Last edited:
My seriously overclocked Fischer-Price 286 won't let me see it! Even after I melted a brand new box of crayons and poured it over the video board for more colours! Maybe I need display that uses American voltage.....
Never mind-my coffee cup was keeping the retractable holder from closing. I love that thing-so convienient! Looks very cool-but don't you need some heat tiles like the little brother has?

How are/will the control surfaces be hinged?

What do you use for the "standoff" on the unhinged side and the mount for the cable on the control surface side? (sorry, I'm R/C illiterate and trying hard to change that).

Funny you should mention that. The 24mm version likes to turn right only. To make it turn left I have to dive it to gather speed. I assumed it was warpage int he wings, but now I'm wondering. In general, dihedral introduces roll-yaw coupling, so that rolling with elevons produces yaw as well and yawing with rudder introduces roll. Low aspect ratio increases roll rate and decreases adverse yaw, and high sweepback angle acts similarly to dihedral. Hmm. By comparison, Grob 103 which I used to fly simply rolls on one side when you turn the stick, traces a happily straight ground track in this slip and points the nose in the opposite direction. You need to lead your turn with the rudder, if you want to actually change your direction of flight.

Ari.

That Grob 103 [had to look that up and still don't know what Have Blue is] sounds like its in real need of aileron differential. I can't see why the little guy would be ok in one direction and not the other but for warps or misalignment on the physical side or assymetrical differential in the radio mix. :confused:

Damn have a monkey on my back ,have to go.

Richard

That Grob 103 [had to look that up and still don't know what Have Blue is] sounds like its in real need of aileron differential. I can't see why the little guy would be ok in one direction and not the other but for warps or misalignment on the physical side or assymetrical differential in the radio mix. :confused:

Damn have a monkey on my back ,have to go.

Richard

The Have Blue was a prototype for the F117 stealth fighter, it was originally named the "Hopeless Diamond", as many conventional aeronautical engineers at the time did not think its new fly-by-wire system would allow such a strange, inherently unstable shape to fly.

Cyril's Scribe: Thanks for the info on Have Blue. I searched on TRF but didn't go any farther, my box must be getting smaller. :cyclops:

Richard

After the flying inferno last Saturday, I feel less enthusiastic about finishing a new experimental glider. Even though it was a motor that blew the top and not anything with the glider as such, the prospect of flying an untested airframe brings up the possibility of two disasters in a row. I just notice the enthusiasm draining from me :(

Ari.

After the flying inferno last Saturday, I feel less enthusiastic about finishing a new experimental glider. Even though it was a motor that blew the top and not anything with the glider as such, the prospect of flying an untested airframe brings up the possibility of two disasters in a row. I just notice the enthusiasm draining from me :(

Ari.

Heh, I *sure* understand *that* sentiment!! Shoot, I've had two disasters on *the same flight*!

What you do if you get 'cold feet syndrome' is to fly 'easier' stuff, even lower powered, to 'pump up' your 'stats', as it were. Since you do RC, you can just fly Vulcan two or three times and do this, throwing in like a Jenny flight or such. That's how I wore out the classic Astron SST back in the day, as it would fly at least 2-3x per HPR launch, along with another pretty reliable HPR glider, while throwing in the 'research content'.

Also helps if you have a supportive supporting cast around you. Back 20 years ago, that was pretty much so. Now, not so much. Almost makes me want to go back to regular rockets.....:blush:

Thank you for your encouragement Mike. Cold feet is exactly what it is. I'm even afraid to fly Vulcan for fear that I dumb-thumb it into the ground.

I'm feeling temptation to redesign Have Pink into a pop-pod glider. I would give it a very long body tube and add ballast up front to make it stable without motor, and more ballast on the pop-pod to counterbalance the motor. This would make the whole thing much heavier, but also less prone to motor problems like the one last Saturday, and would take away all my worries about thermally insulating the centerplane. OTOH, Have Pnk has too much dihedral for (motor would be below CP if I glue BT straight to the wing), and it somehow feels like a copout. I've always felt that real gliders land with the motor instead of dumping it.

Ari.

I've been there too and I agree with Mike. Its the old saw about when you fall off, get back on! :horse: Just get out and fly anything, the little Have Pink on a D etc. My experience is the longer one waits the more gloomy the doom glooms. :dark: Don't give up your game because CTI fumbled the ball. I've been hearing about other CTI motors doing the same so don't take it personal. They really need to re-evaluate their quality control.

Beside all that I need my inspiration fix. :wink:

Richard

Yes, I sure get where you'd end up if you 'converted' Have Pink to 'foamy Maxi-Astron SST'. The overall weight would go way up, due to both the added BT/NC and the pod w/ballast, etc. No need for that since you are using RC and not 'oh, pleeeeease, I hope it transitions THIS time!'.

How light/heavy do you think Have Pink will end up? Is there any way you can 'dork fly' it on a pretty minimal motor, as far as thrust level and perhaps total impulse goes? Yea, that's much less impressive than what you've done with Vulcan, but once you get a clean flight of seeing that big ole thing up there, you'll never look back. I still want to upscale Maxi Astron to a 6" tube and use a K550, which was supposed to be the 'next step' back in '96. Oh well.

OK, I'm going to need a break. An E9 CATOed my White Baron glider this morning.

Ari.

[video=youtube;8Zy4G3gyojI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zy4G3gyojI[/video]

E9.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

I've got two more with the same number. Can I give them back to Estes?

Ari.

You definitely called the "two in a row", even though you have flown that glider before. It sucks! I didn't know rocket motors exploded until our prized TARC rocket exploded two years ago. Moffett Field TARC launch of 2012. F42-4T explodes. I don't have video but it didn't even thrust for a tenth of second. It's just the way it rocketry is, you have set-backs, but it always feels good to succeed.

UB6oHg4.jpg

And I am not sure if you can send their motors back, but you might be able to get a refund.

Last edited:
Hinged the elevons and connected their linkages.

Ari.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1398630345.254932.jpg

Working on the motor mount. It needs almost a pound of ballast to balance even with this long nose. Somehow, the 3' tube seems out of proportion. Too long. Or is it just me?

Ari.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1398901934.987406.jpg

Back