Have Pink

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iter

HPR Glider Driver
Reaction score
I'm building a diamond or wedge shape glider, a 2x larger version of this one: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Invader-2-5x-upscale-R-C&p=685038#post685038. I'm building it out of 1" pink insulation foam.

Have Pink is 60" long and has 40" wingspan. I'm building it with a 38mm MMT. Overall, it's in the same class as Vulcan (my L1 glider and the one in my avatar). It is a much simper design with flat surfaces, comparing with Vulcan's hot-wire cut NACA0015 airfoil. The cost to get to this stage with Have Pink is 1/10 that of Vulcan. It may also come out lighter.

I'm looking forward to AeroTech's new H45 to come out of certification and fly this.

Ari.

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

Last edited:
I still think you need a Pink Panther "logo" for this one. Perhaps in honor of the "Have Blue" make it based on these old cartoons...
The Pink Phink
[video=dailymotion;xrpiz8]https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrpiz8_the-pink-phink_shortfilms[/video]

The Pink Blueprint
[video=youtube;C6KYxpzErr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6KYxpzErr0[/video]

Last edited:
I am keeping the panther logo along with the rest of the printing on the bottom surface.

I'm glad my references are finding an audience :=)

Ari.

It's the audience that makes it worthwhile :=)

Thank you Dave!

Ari.

Work is progressing on Have Pink. I roughly shape leading edges using a table saw, then sand them to final shape.

Ari.

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

Oh man. Can't WAIT to see this one in person! I'll be there with my camera!

Thank you for your encouragement Jim. I rely on your camera for my gliders!

Wing panels now have servo pockets. I glue balsa frames together with yellow glue, then install them into he foam with gorilla glue. One if the features I like about gorilla is how it expands to fill imperfections in my my foam cutting.

The technique is similar to servo installation on Vulcan, but Have Blue uses 2 servos rather than 4. The redundancy (and associating complexity) seems unnecessary on the strength of my experience with Vulcan's almost 20 flights.

Ari.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1396068458.533838.jpg

Gluing wing panels together.

Right panel came out straight, but left has a warp in it. I may be able to straighten it some when I laminate film on it, but in the meantime I want to keep it as straight as I can while glue sets. Hence bricks.

This is about the largest I can build on my bench. Any bigger and I need to either move to the floor or build a bigger bench first :)

Ari.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1396070847.867050.jpg

This pink stuff is interesting. Is interesting. How is it different from 1/2" sytrofoam that I can cut with a hot-wire? How do you cut it? Is it stronger than styrofoam? Where do you get it and is it expensive?

This stuff is extruded polysterene, XPS, from https://www.foamular.com. My local Home Depot carries it sporadically, mostly in wintertime, as house insulation. At Home Depot it occurs in thicknesses of 1/2" to 2", though I understand thicker blocks are available from manufacturer. Chemically, it's the same as white expanded polysterene foam (EPS), the bubbly stuff that TVs come packed in. It's practically the same as Depron (also XPS and originally wall insulation), though R/C-grade Depron has much more uniform surface and thickness and significantly less warping. HD sells pink foam in 4'x8' sheets. I think the 1" stuff is about $20 per sheet.

Ari.

With a table saw, mostly. It's an artifact of the size I'm cutting it to. You can use box cutters, hack saw blades or hot wire on it. Table saw makes nice straight cuts, with bevels where I need them.

Ari.

With a name like this, I pretty much have to keep it its natural color, no?

Ari.

That'll make Kit happy. :tongue:

Here's the Panther in all his laminated glory. I didn't weigh the foam before laminating it, now I'm curious how much the film adds the wing as it sits now is 856 grams.

Ari.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1396472532.427664.jpg

What film did you use? Looks like Doculam, if so how did you laminate it without wrinkles?

Richard

Nice work there, Ari

What did you use to laminate this with? And, how different is this pink foam from the 'regular' blue Styrofoam?

Have Pink looks like a Maxi Astron SST sans body tubing and NC, with RC added instead. This ought to be really nice, especially if the H45 is used. C'mon AeroTech, get us more glidery DMS motors (sitting on I140s, an I280DM, along with the J270)

Richard: The film is 5mil DI (7mil on the bottom centerplane) from https://www.alofthobbies.com/new-stuff-laminating-films.html . It's very similar to the stuff I used on Vulcan. The thicker it is, the easier it is to laminate without wrinkles. There are still some wrinkles, especially where the surface of insulation foam is less than flat. Trick is in the lighting to make the wrinkles invisible :=)

Mike: I've been fighting the temptation to glue a 6' BT in the fold between the wings and call is the day :=) Of course my whole idea with this planform is to move motor ahead of CG, so I'm figuring out how I want to make the pylon and how long to make the MMT.

H45 would be a wonderful motor for Have Pink as well as for Vulcan. I'm waiting for I65 DMS to come out--I expect it would work well in Have Pink (Vulcan has a 38mm MMT).

Ari.

One fin is on. This my largest R/C project to date, and the sheer size of these subassemblies presets challenges that are new to me.

Ari.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1396586436.739150.jpg

Back