Anyone else seeing new stability warning in OR 14.03

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dad Man Walking

Dontree Member
Reaction score
I ran OR 14.03 on some files that were last touched by OR 13.11.2.

In 13.2 the sims are stable, and I get the expected warnings for high deployment speed or high ground impact speed when I'm messing around trying to find an optimal deployment delay.

In 14.03, I am seeing a new warning on many sims that were fine in 13.11.2 The new warning says:

"Sustainer became unstable before apogee."

Anyone else see this and know what it means?

As always, thanks for your thoughts.

This was a new warning added when high angle of attack is detected. Please post an work file so we can see if it is too aggressive.

We flew a Darkstar 3 on a CTI K454 at LDRS at Black Rock in July last year. Flight was basically perfect, straight up and back down with motor deploy. The .ork file is attached (generic file adjusted for the weight of our rocket). Open Rocket v13.11 simmed this as a stable flight, and 14.02 shows the stability warning.

View attachment Darkstar 3 ORK.ork

No instability during boost...

Attachments

• Darkstar3 LDRS 3.jpg
    Darkstar3 LDRS 3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 63
Hey, I have one of those rockets!

I think the warning is coming out because of the flop at apogee. Needless to say, it's in error. Gonna have to look at the logic change again.

Kevin

We flew a Darkstar 3 on a CTI K454 at LDRS at Black Rock in July last year. Flight was basically perfect, straight up and back down with motor deploy. The .ork file is attached (generic file adjusted for the weight of our rocket). Open Rocket v13.11 simmed this as a stable flight, and 14.02 shows the stability warning.

View attachment 166359

No instability during boost...

Want to bump this to the top.

Is/was there a resolution to this problem. I am not seeing it in all files but was messing around with sims for an upcoming launch on a rocket I plan to take and am getting the stability warning. All else seems to look fine. Here is my file if someone sees something I don't.

View attachment pac3.ork

Back