OpenRocket 14.03 released

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I just pushed the 14.03 release to the update site and openrocket.sourceforge.net. It has one new feature - a 3d photo realistic rocket viewer - available under the Tools menu. It's pretty cool.

There's a number of bugs which have been fixed including corrected characters in the Spanish translations and some nasty bugs in the motor chooser dialog and flight configuration tables.

Have fun and see you on the fields this summer.

Kevin

Can I make a request? Can you add a column on the simulation page for "Optimum Delay"? I'd like to see what the time between motor burnout and apogee is without having to plot each flight.

Thanks,

Can I make a request? Can you add a column on the simulation page for "Optimum Delay"? I'd like to see what the time between motor burnout and apogee is without having to plot each flight.

Thanks,

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement this request... but I think something like this is worthy of consideration. :)

Thanks,

This feature would be awesome.

A demonstration:

attachment.php

attachment.php

is it possible to use a user defined picture. as an example, say for instance a photo of your own range?
Rex

Hi Rex,

At this time, no. However I am planning on taking shots of The Rocket Pasture during Airfest this year and putting them in the app.

Kevin

is it possible to use a user defined picture. as an example, say for instance a photo of your own range?
Rex

Well, that was fun while it lasted. OR crashed my video driver and I can't kill it. If I can manage to get a debug log I'll send it out. I'll attempt to update my video card drivers as well but the dell support site doesn't seem to be cooperating. Grrrrr.

Wait...wut?

You fellas got these images from open rocket? Seriously, how do I miss this stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using TopRamens Rocketry Forum App

Thanks,

This is a frequent request, however, it is not possible to include that on this screen. The reason is, in order to determine optimum delay, you have to run at least two simulations - one with the delay artificially set to "plugged" one one with the actual motor. With the information provided you can determine if the delay is not right - look for velocity at deployment. However, you cannot really tell easily if it is too short or too long.

One of the features which has been requested many times but just hasn't been done yet is an automatic motor finder. Basically you put in some constraints on the motors (manufacturers, impulse, etc, like the motor filter), and some constraints on the flight envelope (min alt, max alt, min velocity off rod, max velocity at deployment, etc). Then the program tries a ton of motors and lists the ones which work.

Kevin

OK, I understand. How about a column or flag to tell me if the deployment happened before or after apogee? Would that be easier?

BTW: Thank you for maintaining this software. I had RockSim 5.0 before I got out of rocketry, and I was shocked at how expensive it is now. OpenRocket is great even in its existing form.

Sent from my Tegra Note 7

Just wondering, can't you do a line in the code that says something along the lines of "if -20<v_deployment<20mph, display green flag, if v_deployment<-20mph, display down arrow, if v_deployment>20mph, display up arrow".

In one of the columns, have it say "deployment status".

Or am I just missing this?

Or, vertical velocity at deployment so we at least get the sign, knowing whether it was early or late.

When I open the photo studio OR shuts down. What's up with that?

Carlo,

I tried to do this initially, unfortunately all velocities are referenced to the rocket's direction so they are always positive. I suppose one could project the rocket velocity vector on unit-z, but what if the rocket is travelling horizontally? It could still be deploying at a very large velocity but the z component of that velocity is 0.

Kevin

Or, vertical velocity at deployment so we at least get the sign, knowing whether it was early or late.

This is a frequent request, however, it is not possible to include that on this screen. The reason is, in order to determine optimum delay, you have to run at least two simulations - one with the delay artificially set to "plugged" one one with the actual motor. With the information provided you can determine if the delay is not right - look for velocity at deployment. However, you cannot really tell easily if it is too short or too long.

One of the features which has been requested many times but just hasn't been done yet is an automatic motor finder. Basically you put in some constraints on the motors (manufacturers, impulse, etc, like the motor filter), and some constraints on the flight envelope (min alt, max alt, min velocity off rod, max velocity at deployment, etc). Then the program tries a ton of motors and lists the ones which work.

Kevin

This is not what I envision for Optimum Delay.

Let me restate it this way: It is the elapsed time from motor burnout to apogee, or in other words "coast time".

From that information I can nuance the actual delay for the motor.

Is that doable?

Let me know if that makes sense or not.

Greg

This is not what I envision for Optimum Delay.

Let me restate it this way: It is the elapsed time from motor burnout to apogee, or in other words "coast time".

From that information I can nuance the actual delay for the motor.

Is that doable?

Let me know if that makes sense or not.

Greg

The issue is that if the motor ejects before true apogee, the simulation assumes the forced apogee is the true apogee.

The issue is that if the motor ejects before true apogee, the simulation assumes the forced apogee is the true apogee.

Ok. That makes sense.

Perhaps an option to run the simulation "plugged" or "apogee detect" with a column for the "coast time" when in this simulation mode?

Regardless of how it's done, it seems to be a desired feature.

If anyone can pull it off, I'm sure Kevin can.

Greg

Back