Openrocket Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I just barely started using OR, and just tried to do my first Simulated Launch. It said "Simulation in Progress", for about 5 Minutes, then this message popped up.:

It would not let me close the Screens, so I had to restart my Computer.
What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

Thanks for any Advice, and remember I'm not Computer Literate, so please no complicated Answers.
I really could care less if I use a Sim or not, so it's not a real big Deal.
A simple "Do this..." Answer will suffice.

Close other programs while running OpenRocket.

How many simulations were you running at once? My computer spends 15 seconds max on each simulation; if it takes 5 minutes, then something else is stealing your memory and CPU time.

Lastly, your CP and CG are way too close together. You need bigger/more fins and/or more nose weight.

And I know, my CG/CP are too close together. I'm not even done with the Nose yet, just wanted to figure out how to do a Sim Launch is all.

Close other programs while running OpenRocket.

How many simulations were you running at once? My computer spends 15 seconds max on each simulation; if it takes 5 minutes, then something else is stealing your memory and CPU time.

Lastly, your CP and CG are way too close together. You need bigger/more fins and/or more nose weight.

Thanks. That may be it. I had my Security Cameras open in a separate Window.

I made sure nothing else was running and did it again. It kept "Running Simulation" for like 2 minutes, so I clicked on the "Cancel" Button.
My Sim Figures came up in the Simulation 1 Data Bar, but there was a red Exclamation Point in the first Box of said Bar. I clicked on it and it said "warning:" Simulation interupted.
Before doing this I added my Nose Weight to fix my Stability.

Is there a Video anywhere of what a proper Simulation should look like?

Is there a Video anywhere of what a proper Simulation should look like?

The bar flashes by in short order, and then the graph comes up. I don't know why it would be taking so long to run... Even on my slowpoke netbook simulations never took more than 30 seconds, even for crazy minimum diameter N stuff.

The bar flashes by in short order, and then the graph comes up. I don't know why it would be taking so long to run... Even on my slowpoke netbook simulations never took more than 30 seconds, even for crazy minimum diameter N stuff.

Ohwell, thanks though for your help. I'll just go mess with it some more.

I sometimes get this warning, but only after an hour of playing with it and doing about 300 simulations.

Each sim takes about 3 seconds......sooooooo I play too much.

Mine is still doing this. I'm giving up, but thanks for the responses.
I'll wait til' I can afford it, then buy the Rock Sim, since I've used the 30 Day Trial Version of it before, and found it much less complicated.
Til' then, I'll continue to use Mindsim, since that has never let me down in the past.

What are your computer specs?

Also, I would close all of your background tasks if you are running into this issue.

What are your computer specs?

Also, I would close all of your background tasks if you are running into this issue.

If you read the entire Thread, you'de see that I tried it again after closing all backround tasks(Post #5 in this Thread). My computer Specs are forgotten, but they are supposedly impressive. I have plenty of free space and it is plenty fast with everything but this.
I suspect that perhaps the Fault is with ME, and something I'M doing wrong in Openrocket, as I'm a total Idiot when it comes to this kind of thing, and my knowledge of how to use Computers is poor at best.:(

Just went and checked. It says I have the latest Version, and that Java automatically checks for Updates every Sunday at 7:00AM.
I tried to update, and that was what it said.
I think I'm doing something wrong in OR.

Open Rocket is a JAVA program. Here is what I would do.

1. Update your JAVA distribution package. This is easy to do. Just Goggle JAVA and you will find their site. Just follow the directions.

2.Find the msconfig program on your computer. Hit the startup tab, and I bet you are running a lot of programs in the background.

I have run Open Rocket in Ubuntu on an old 486 laptop and it only takes a second or so to do it's work.

Andrew

Can you post your ork file? There was one other report of OOM recently and I'd like to see if it's related.

Kevin

Is it possible that an incomplete design is the problem?
I don't know much but I'd say background programs first too.
Since uploading JAVA I've never done an update for it. I'm working
with Version 7.
The only problem I've run into was the motor selection screen. I had to grab
a corner and shrink it ever so slightly to get the motors to show up in the box.
Here's a before and after.
motor screen before shrinking.jpgafter shrinking box for motor selection.jpg

TR, don't let it get to ya, you'll get it. I appreciate Open Rocket! Thank you Kevin.

JP

Last edited:
Can you post your ork file? There was one other report of OOM recently and I'd like to see if it's related.

Kevin

I don't know how to do that, but I assume that you go to "File" then "Print or Export" and create a PDF? I just tried this, and OR said "Out of Memory", then froze up again.
So, now I can't even do anything in OR, let alone run a Sim.

Open Rocket is a JAVA program. Here is what I would do.

1. Update your JAVA distribution package. This is easy to do. Just Goggle JAVA and you will find their site. Just follow the directions.

2.Find the msconfig program on your computer. Hit the startup tab, and I bet you are running a lot of programs in the background.

I have run Open Rocket in Ubuntu on an old 486 laptop and it only takes a second or so to do it's work.

Andrew

That's the kind of complicated Answer that makes no sense to me. Msconfig Program? Find it? Not this Cat! My JAVA is up to date. "Distribution Package" That's Greek to me.
Thanks though.

Anyhow, I'm thinking that maybe I should Delete OR entirely, and try to redo everything from scratch. Perhaps it downloaded wrong?

Top,

File->Save to write out the ork file. Put it someplace you can find it (like your desktop). Then attach to a post in this thread.

Kevin

I don't know how to do that, but I assume that you go to "File" then "Print or Export" and create a PDF? I just tried this, and OR said "Out of Memory", then froze up again.
So, now I can't even do anything in OR, let alone run a Sim.

After hitting reply, you need to use the "Go Advanced" button. In the menu bar above the text box is a little icon with a paper clip. This lets you attach files to posts.

Kevin

Ok, it's on my Desktop. Now how do I make it show up in my Reply?

The problem was the rocket had a "booster stage" which had no components in it. When it tried to simulate, there was no motor in this booster so it sat on the ground - for ever.

I don't understand what your 1/4lb mass component was near the motor. I removed it. I suspect it was to effectively be the mass of the motor, but OpenRocket automatically adds the appropriate mass for the motor (and case as per official 'motor weight' in the thrustcurve).

I switched to an available motor AT G80-7 since the G80NBT is some mystery motor which doesn't have an ejection charge.

Kevin

View attachment LSFC295.ork

The Mass Component was to account for the Fact that the Fins are actually a Plastic Fin Can which weighs 3.5 Ounces.
I can't open the ork File you posted, Adobe Reader for some reason does'nt recognize it.
I'll try to go get rid of the Booster Stage problem.
Thanks for having a look.

The Mass Component was to account for the Fact that the Fins are actually a Plastic Fin Can which weighs 3.5 Ounces.
I can't open the ork File you posted, Adobe Reader for some reason does'nt recognize it.
I'll try to go get rid of the Booster Stage problem.
Thanks for having a look.

The ork file is not opened with adobe reader. Start OpenRocket and then choose file->open, and select the ork.

If you read the entire Thread, you'de see that I tried it again after closing all backround tasks(Post #5 in this Thread). My computer Specs are forgotten, but they are supposedly impressive. I have plenty of free space and it is plenty fast with everything but this.
I suspect that perhaps the Fault is with ME, and something I'M doing wrong in Openrocket, as I'm a total Idiot when it comes to this kind of thing, and my knowledge of how to use Computers is poor at best.:(

Hitting the X button on a window is different then terminating tasks.

Back