custom router bits for trailing edge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pythonrock

Reaction score
I was looking for a chamfer bit to bevel trailing edges, but there aren't any. There is a panel bit with 82 Deg, but only with 1/2 in. shaft. Just out of curiosity I asked about a custom bit. For just one it's about $400, for ten it's about 175 each, for 25-50 it's down closer to 40 each. (not USA made and 3+ month wait)
1/4 shaft, about 2 inch diameter, say 75 deg. ( for a 30 deg trailing edge) with bearing.
How many of you would want one??

put small pieces of wood in between router and table on one side and use a staight flute bit or for $400 you can buy a table saw

You don't want to be spinning a 2" diameter cutter on a little 1/4" collet router. For less money, you could get a basic 1/2" router. You won't want to go back!
-Ken

Have you looked at spindle shaper bits ? , and yes I have broke a finger before using shaper :(

or sand them. I use a sanding jig. If you are interested, I can post a photo. It works but takes a little elbow grease.

Last edited:
Use a 15 degree bit, readily available with 1/4" shaft, and run the fin stock vertical against your stop. Take a small cut at a time and move the stop for each successive cut 'til you reach midpoint. Not as stable as running fin stock horizontal, but for what we do, it's fine. You can always move to a belt sander for any touch ups needed.

I have used the 15 deg bit and have also tried straight bits with jigs. These all work fine for a straight edge on the fin. I started thinking about this as I am building a Deep Space Transport and the wing has an angle in it. For any concave shaped edge, I don't see how any of these techniques will work other than a jig and sanding. I guess I'm just looking for an easier, more consistent way.
I'm going to have to do it the old fashioned way.
Thanks all

Perhaps you could hack a fly cutter into doing what you want by sticking the lathe bit out the back side? I don't know if your router has enough spindle stiffness for that, though.

I was looking for a chamfer bit to bevel trailing edges, but there aren't any. There is a panel bit with 82 Deg, but only with 1/2 in. shaft. Just out of curiosity I asked about a custom bit. For just one it's about $400, for ten it's about 175 each, for 25-50 it's down closer to 40 each. (not USA made and 3+ month wait)
1/4 shaft, about 2 inch diameter, say 75 deg. ( for a 30 deg trailing edge) with bearing.
How many of you would want one??

I was interested in the same thing a while back and contacted Todd Foreman [email protected] but I never ended up getting one. I am still interested and not sure of the angle I was originally looking for something just a few degrees off plane to get a longer bevel with a bearing and was just going to use it for both leading and trailing edges. Obviously this was more a quick way to get a clean bevel and not for performance otherwise the angle would likely be different as well as possibly different ones depending on it it was for leading of trailing...not a fin expert when it comes to this!

You might also want to contact Todd.

If you end up with enough interest let me know and if the price is right and it suits my purpose I am in, assuming you have no problems shipping to Canada.

I was interested in the same thing a while back and contacted Todd Foreman [email protected] but I never ended up getting one. I am still interested and not sure of the angle I was originally looking for something just a few degrees off plane to get a longer bevel with a bearing and was just going to use it for both leading and trailing edges. Obviously this was more a quick way to get a clean bevel and not for performance otherwise the angle would likely be different as well as possibly different ones depending on it it was for leading of trailing...not a fin expert when it comes to this!

You might also want to contact Todd.

If you end up with enough interest let me know and if the price is right and it suits my purpose I am in, assuming you have no problems shipping to Canada.

So far, you're the only one interested. Probably not happening.

Table saw, blade angled? Works for plywood, though not the safest sawing operation to do.

If the chamfer is not too wide, a tilted dado blade.

Jointer, with a tilted guide system.

Gerald

A raised panel bit works! I have used it many times on plywood.
As for fg or composite I'd go with a bench top belt sander or Crazy Jim's belt sander mounted in a vise.

JD

I use a horizontal router table with a tilting top. This way I can use ordinary straight bits and tilt the top to get the bevel angle.

Panel bits would work but my router is fairly new but only takes 1/4 inch shank bits and all the panel bits I've seen with that kind of angle are 1/2 " shank, and I wasn't planning on buying a new larger router. The other things mentioned would also work but only for straight edged fins. You can't do the deep space transport wing or something like an Estes Hyperbat (as an extreme example) with a table saw etc or anything other than a chamfer style bit with bearing.
I think I'll have to rig a jig for my sander and do it in sections and hand sand the angle area.
Thanks for all the creative suggestions - I'll try some more of them on my other rockets.

Back