MK82 High Drag bomb rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really neat. Do you have something to preven the possibility of drag separation (not really separation but slipping back) of the rear portion at burnout to prevent early opening?

There's enough friction on the nose section that it won't just slide forward and release the petals.

I cut about 1/2 of the plastic sheeting out of the gores. The rocket is definitely going to fall a little faster now. I also reglued the brass cross over tubes into the motor mount tube. Finally, I installed the heavier springs on the petals. They are strong enough that the petals snap open when released. I shouldn't have a problem with them staying open anymore.

I cut about 1/2 of the plastic sheeting out of the gores. The rocket is definitely going to fall a little faster now. I also reglued the brass cross over tubes into the motor mount tube. Finally, I installed the heavier springs on the petals. They are strong enough that the petals snap open when released. I shouldn't have a problem with them staying open anymore.

Sounds like some good improvements. When is the next test flight?

I just asked if you were coming to Moffett on the "what did you do rocket-wise today" thread. Then I thought to check this one. Glad I did. I'd really like to see this project in person :)

I had another successful flight today at LUNAR's launch at Moffett Field. It looks like I can probably remove all of the plastic from between the petals.

[YOUTUBE]J2bLkCjLySc[/YOUTUBE]

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Chris, it was great meeting you and your family at the launch today, and thank you for letting me take a look at this model on the way out. I just wish I hadn't missed seeing the flight. (I spent most of the day with my back to the pads checking in rockets.)

That was a very nice flight. I could only watch half the down portion before I had to switch my attention to my Baron R/C glider (you can hear my liftoff and see my smoke in your video). Glad I could see the whole flight in this video!

Ari.

Chris, it was really cool getting to see this rocket up close and watch the flight. It's definitely a unique bird, and the design and workmanship are excellent. It was good to see you and your family again.

Thanks guys. It was good the see all of you too. It's like a TRF reunion out there. :D

I haven't even thought about this rocket in a couple months. :blush:

It's getting pretty ragged. I think a couple more flights are all that's left in her. I don't know if I'll get back to it anytime soon, but if I do I'll update this thread.

I'm going to try flying it again tomorrow at LUNAR. I cut all of the plastic sheeting off the petals. I noticed that the bottom of the NC is cracked where the kevlar passes through it. The petals are also starting to get bowed from the springs and the MMT is slightly bent just above the motor. Hopefully it will survive tomorrow's flight.

I think this rocket really needs to be made out of the new thin wall fiberglass tubes. 3-4" with a 29mm MMT would be perfect. It's not the kind of rocket your want to send into orbit anyway. Maybe next year I'll build an upgraded version.

I got one more flight out of this rocket at LUNAR's launch last weekend. It flew fairly straight and came down at a reasonable rate even with all of the plastic sheeting between the petals removed. Unfortunately when it landed on the concrete runway it bent the 24mm tube that forms the backbone of the rocket. The petals are all bowed and warped from the springs I added too. I think it's time to retire it. At some point in the future I'd like to build another, but I'll probably make it out of 3-4" thin wall fiberglass tubing.

I got one more flight out of this rocket at LUNAR's launch last weekend. It flew fairly straight and came down at a reasonable rate even with all of the plastic sheeting between the petals removed. Unfortunately when it landed on the concrete runway it bent the 24mm tube that forms the backbone of the rocket. The petals are all bowed and warped from the springs I added too. I think it's time to retire it. At some point in the future I'd like to build another, but I'll probably make it out of 3-4" thin wall fiberglass tubing.

This is a truly great build! Any chance of a kit form to build in the future? Would definitely like to have one myself!

I stand by my earlier comment, I'd be willing to pony up for two sets of the laser cut components (assuming they are less than $100 each...). I'm sure there are enough interested folks around to make a production run for 25 sets worth wile.

Not been around for a bit so just catching up. Great work there and its really good to see all your hard work rewarded with the thing working. Congrats.

This thread has somewhat inspired me. If the hinge part doesn't become available as a kit, I may have to use this as an excuse to get into 3D printing.

I'm tied up with another project right now, but if you guys will settle for a set of all the wooden parts and a OpenRocket file I can see about having them cut. They'd cost about $60 shipped.

PM me if you're interested.

Do you have any pictures of the spring assembly? I have a few drawings from a years back when I was going to build a Mk82. I was planning on using a large diameter light weight 3" long spring around a stuffer tube that pushed a coupler around the motor/stuffer tube with hinged struts attached the the petals. It looks like you have created something much more simple.

I'll send a PM shortly!

Back