rOcketober Best Rocket of The Month Competition!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Well, it is now officially(at least here on the right coast) 10/01/09..So, that means it is now Rocketober! :D And time to kick off the next round of competition! Usual stuff below..Just make sure you read it so you know what the 'theme' is this month and who our great sponsor is!

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture must include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. No extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Preferably one that is STILL in your fleet at the time of the competition!
6. Rocket may be entered into the competition only ONE time!
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

THEME

Rocketober..The feel of fall is in the air! Getting chilly out at night and you need to wear your jacket? What about your rocket? Is it built, have a knock out paint job, but just lacks that final 'punch' of some great decals? Well, let's see them!..So this months theme is:

Painted, but UN-decaled rockets..

Scroll down to see how winning this competition will take your rocket from being an '8' to a '10'!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Mark, of Sticker Shock, is making a return visit to sponsor this months competition! So, here's the deal, win the competition and get a $30 shopping spree to get those knockout decals your rocket so desperately needs!so get your entries in!

And may the best rocket win!:clap:

Okay..2 days..a few looks but no entries yet? Well, let me get the ball rolling!

I will submit for your consideration my Fliskits Deuces Wild..She has flown once while still nekkid:y:..Perfectly straight and true flight despite 15mph winds! Was playing around with different color schemes before coming up with the black and red. At first I didn't think they would go all that well together, but it looks pretty sharp..Just needs some decals!:roll:

A couple of pictures below..

Painted 005.jpg

Attachments

• Painted 006.jpg
    Painted 006.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
Red and Black are two colors that go great together. They are the colors of my alma mater The San Diego State University Aztecs!!

Allrighty Guys (and ladies) I just got back from our Local Four day launch, and saw the "Rocktobers best" and then I remembered I said I would sponsor the prize, :y: So get your entries in! I cant wait to see them!

:pop:

Mark

The prize is $30.00 Towards anything you need, either off my website or Customized work!

Thanks again Jon

I'm trying to get my entry ready - an upscale Estes Pathfinder. I hope I make the deadline! If all goes well, it will also be my level 2 project.

What the heck, I'll play alonng

Here we go: The Asthma 14 (You would have to be a Duck Dodgers fan to understand). Based on a PML Little Lunar Express. Painted in Rustoleum hammered aluminum with Metalcast highlights and my own special NC treatment.

DSCN0313_0154.jpg

The Beauty Shot

DSCN0317_0158.jpg

Detail of the fin pods

DSCN0322_0171.jpg

Come on, every 50's rocket needs a photon disruptor array...

A14_a.jpg

Not bad on an H128 at NERRF5

Last edited:
I'm in with my m4 noxous by american allience rocketry. I didn't like the decals so i never put them on. she has flown a few times.

ps. anyone know what happened to them doing something with emrr and cant get in tough with them.

Noxous a.jpg

After thinking it over I have decided to withdraw. I didn't feel like I fit the theme.(rockets with great paint that need decals)

Good Luck to everyone!

Last edited:
OK, here's my entry. My TLP Scimitar. But not just your ordinary Scimitar, no, this has been modified to fly in several different motor configurations. It has an interchangeable motor mount, allowing me to fly it as a 2x24, 3x24, or 1x29. It has flown successfully in all 3 configurations. ;)

scimitar.jpg

My entry is my Talon 2 by Giant leap. It's a great kit and produces a fine looking outline with the two sets of fins and boattail. I've only competed her a few months ago, and she flies great, but i'm leaving the finishing, apart from the base coat of pale yellow until the winter months. -It really does need some decals to give it a sharper look

giantleap_talon2_07.JPG

Yep, a little under 48 hours til the entry period closes! ;) 5 entries so far, lets see if we can get a couple more in here!

After seeing JAL3's thread grow to 252 messages and 5700+ views - I thought my naked Estes Cosmos Mariner would be a good candidate for this contest. It has been built of over a year aging like a fine wine in my basement. I think some nice aerodynamic decals, a flashy paint job and this will be ready to fly. I plan to launch my Cosmos this winter after we have about 12 inches of snow on the ground to provide plenty of cushion. Based on JAL3 flight video, I will definitely be needed, but wait he didn't have the aerodynamic decals!

Thanks,
Ray King

P1010015.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Here is my 2.6" dia American Solar Clipper. This has a 38mm motor mount and is dual deployment. The tubes are glassed LOC tubes with 1/8" baltic birch fins with one layer of 8oz glass tip to tip. Nose cone has a tracker bay. This has flown on I and J motors. She is paint red white and blue. All colors are duplicolor paint.

asc38dd1.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Here is my entry called 'Soichiro', after Soichiro Honda, the founder of the Honda motor company.

I have always prefered riding Honda motorcycles and wanted to create a rocket that not only encompasses some of those bikes but also celebrated their 50th year of motorcycle racing.

I thought of such names as Rice Rocket, Fireblade, Nighthawk etc. but felt Soichiro seemed to have the right feel. Ultimately the name will be on two sides, 2" high letters, approximately 10" in length, brush script and in white or white with a black border ?

It flies on three D12-3's (E's would be better, but can't get them here), which are canted at approx. 3 deg. The fins have the Honda wing logo applied on them to create a 3-dimensional effect.

Given the weather, it will have to wait until spring before I see how well it flies.

Enjoy.

soichiro_1.jpg

soichiro_2.jpg

soichiro_0.jpg

That's a beautiful bird! I especially like the air-cooling.:D It looks like it might be Vulcan inspired but that's a Kawi isn't it? You might want to try flying in the cold on a sunny day, the motors seem so much louder. Welcome to the forum from a fellow canuck! Ted

Entry period has officially expired! 'Tis now 12 midnight on the east coast! Polls will be posted in mere minutes(yes, POLLS, another runoff, and a conundrum with 9 entries)..OK, so off I go to make the polls..:p

That's a beautiful bird! I especially like the air-cooling.:D It looks like it might be Vulcan inspired but that's a Kawi isn't it? You might want to try flying in the cold on a sunny day, the motors seem so much louder. Welcome to the forum from a fellow canuck! Ted

Thanks for the compliments,my big brother would appreciate the Kawasaki reference, its the only make he'll ride. As you mentioned, I am hoping for some nice weather so I can see this baby fly, It won't be high, but straight and graceful will do.

Thanks
Nick

OK, here's my entry. My TLP Scimitar. But not just your ordinary Scimitar, no, this has been modified to fly in several different motor configurations. It has an interchangeable motor mount, allowing me to fly it as a 2x24, 3x24, or 1x29. It has flown successfully in all 3 configurations. ;)

That's what I want to build next!!!

Back