60 Minutes - Drones, Tabasco, and Tabasco Drones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE - the purpose of this thread is not to bash 60 Minutes, or introduce politics. Go to YORF, if that's all you can contribute.

Sunday night, 60 Minutes had a story about small R/C "drones". And the next story was about the company that makes Tabasco sauce.

Turned out the two stories had one big thing in common…..drones. The Tabasco story had several aerial scenes that could only have been shot from an R/C copter.

So, I have written in a comment to point that out. Would be really interesting if they used that comment in their end of show feedback next week. I won't be betting on it.

BTW - since I did not want to use my full name, and my favorite partial names (like GeorgeG) were taken, I used the name of my hometown.

Here's a link to the story, and my comment below it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drones-over-america-60-minutes/

GeorgeFromGreensboro

I want to mention that I like 60 Minutes, and never thought I would write in.

I have flown radio controlled models since 1975. Won some awards. 

It is quite a fun hobby, which does not need more restrictions from the government.

But I am mainly writing this to point out a massive contradiction in your story about drones,where Morley Safer presented the attitude that R/C models used by non-government people was "scary".

In the very next story, about the making of Tabasco, there were several aerial scenes which at first looked like they might have been made by a full sized manned helicopter. But it became clear in later scenes that only an R/C model (helicopter type "drone") with a camera could have shot those scenes.

Why not fess' up 60 Minutes, that you LIKE drones enough to use them yourself? 

And if it's good for 60 Minutes, why isn't it good for everyone else to fly too?

Last edited:
Didn't see the story so can't comment directly. The drone camera work during the Winter Olympics was outstanding. I bought a micro quadcopter with a camera to take some pictures while out 4wd-ing. I can't fly for nuts, but I think if used responsibly, there's no harm in it. As it stands, earning money from UAV camera work in Australia requires certification and vehicles approved by CASA.

NOTE - the purpose of this thread is not to bash 60 Minutes, or introduce politics. Go to YORF, if that's all you can contribute.

Sunday night, 60 Minutes had a story about small R/C "drones". And the next story was about the company that makes Tabasco sauce.

Turned out the two stories had one big thing in common…..drones. The Tabasco story had several aerial scenes that could only have been shot from an R/C copter.

So, I have written in a comment to point that out. Would be really interesting if they used that comment in their end of show feedback next week. I won't be betting on it.

BTW - since I did not want to use my full name, and my favorite partial names (like GeorgeG) were taken, I used the name of my hometown.

Here's a link to the story, and my comment below it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drones-over-america-60-minutes/

GeorgeFromGreensboro

I want to mention that I like 60 Minutes, and never thought I would write in.

I have flown radio controlled models since 1975. Won some awards. 

It is quite a fun hobby, which does not need more restrictions from the government.

But I am mainly writing this to point out a massive contradiction in your story about drones,where Morley Safer presented the attitude that R/C models used by non-government people was "scary".

In the very next story, about the making of Tabasco, there were several aerial scenes which at first looked like they might have been made by a full sized manned helicopter. But it became clear in later scenes that only an R/C model (helicopter type "drone") with a camera could have shot those scenes.

Why not fess' up 60 Minutes, that you LIKE drones enough to use them yourself? 

And if it's good for 60 Minutes, why isn't it good for everyone else to fly too?
A great and highly valid point was made by the gal who, I think, represented Sikorsky helicopters and that is that video cameras are already everywhere. She didn't bring up the NSA and recent revelations about it.

Other than the obvious dangers of flying multirotors over groups of people, the fear of civilian use of drones is is a tempest in a teapot and that was the primary stated fear of the government trusting mass media talking head in the segment and the hypocrite Feinstein who fears civilian "drone" use while having no problems at all with NSA spying. No matter how many "drones" are purchased by civilians, even seeing one in flight is going to remain a very rare event since the vast majority of people will have absolutely no use for them that would justify the expense. There are VASTLY more fixed wing hobby RC aircraft in this country than there are "drone" multirotors equipped with FPV video hardware and, yet, how many RC planes do you see flying around?

Civilian use of "drones" - much ado about nothing...

Back