38mm 3D printed sleds Have finally arrived!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andrew,

I'm very happy with the 3 different sleds I bought from you (except for the fact they are too short for my MiniAlt/Wd altimeters). Further to my PMs to you I have the following suggestions:

1. Lengthen the sleds so they can accommodate the longest altimeters. (like my MiniAlt/WD or RRC3)

2. Since you can print them to order, why not offer a totally blank sled as well as one with multiple mounting mounds for a bunch of different altimeters, sorta like what you have but more models?

3. I suggest no battery compartment so one can mount the typical battery holders we are used to such as the Missile Works unit which affords battery removal with no tools (Just cut the tape or tie wrap). I like the fact that I would be able to glance at the battery any time to read the notes I tape to them telling me how many flights and/or battery voltage and/or fresh or used etc.

4. I suggest you leave the switch holder. If someone doesn't want it, it is a cinch to remove. Then the space freed up can be used to mount a push button switch to the board itself. You can even print in a tiny depression on the board to start a drill bit for these switches. Some people like these switches because they can be poked on or off with anything cylindrical instead of the necessity for a correctly sized, slotted screwdriver out at the pad.

5. Add some extra mounting mounds for the MiniAlt/WD and all the Missile works units so we don't have to buy extra sleds.

My 2 cents.

For those of you who are interested in blank sleds (of all sizes), how blank do you want? No battery holder? No switch mount?

Last edited:
1. Lengthen the sleds so they can accommodate the longest altimeters. (like my MiniAlt/WD or RRC3)

The problem is that kits like the Wildman mini Dual Deploys have a pretty short coupler and/or NC shoulder to squeeze everything into. A longer sled would not fit. Maybe offering a short and a long sled is the answer?

The problem is that kits like the Wildman mini Dual Deploys have a pretty short coupler and/or NC shoulder to squeeze everything into. A longer sled would not fit. Maybe offering a short and a long sled is the answer?

The sleds are REALLY easy to shorten on a table saw or hand mitre saw since they are square and made of relatively soft plastic.

"You can please some of the people all of the time" & "all of the people some of the time"!

Looks like this conundrum is upon you?

Maybe following CTI's lead for delays is a possible solution.
A generic sled made in the longest practical length, which can be "cut" down by the user to their desired length.

Just a thought for the day.:wink:

Just put together my MW 38mm printed AV-bay (RRC2+ and Lipo) last night for my Wildman wildchild with it's 4" long coupler and everything fit great...no problem. No need to shorten for that combo.

Awesome job to Landru and Missile Works!

If I were to ask really nicely, how many bucks would you want to send me a copy of the source files for personal use only? I have access to a 3D printer and might want to create a variation on your design, which I would absolutely not distribute.

If I were to ask really nicely, how many bucks would you want to send me a copy of the source files for personal use only? I have access to a 3D printer and might want to create a variation on your design, which I would absolutely not distribute.

I'm sorry, but the source files can't be made available.

LOL.

The biggest reason I have the current sleds the length they are is to make them as inexpensive as practical. Part size is directly related to cost, and right now they fit the most common production altimeters.

The most requested thing has definitely been a longer sled version to fit the larger altimeters (Eggtimer, eggfinder, telemetreum, arts, etc.) As a result, it will be my next project.

I have a request. It seems kit e-bays don't allow for these to be installed. For example, LOC e-bay doesn't have the appropriate distance between the pre-drilled holes. Any chance modifications will be made for these sorts of kits?

I have a request. It seems kit e-bays don't allow for these to be installed. For example, LOC e-bay doesn't have the appropriate distance between the pre-drilled holes. Any chance modifications will be made for these sorts of kits?

Why not just drill some new holes? Fill the old ones with epoxy or tape over them or something and you should be set.

Why not just drill some new holes? Fill the old ones with epoxy or tape over them or something and you should be set.

Which is the way you would have to go if sled dimensions cannot be altered. Changing 3D setups can be simple or complex depending on how he modelled them. If it's too complex, I would say let the end user modify the e-bay. My hunch is that it would be easier to modify the sled. Can't do every kit, I imagine vendors have different locations. Be nice if there was a standard.

Which is the way you would have to go if sled dimensions cannot be altered. Changing 3D setups can be simple or complex depending on how he modelled them. If it's too complex, I would say let the end user modify the e-bay. My hunch is that it would be easier to modify the sled. Can't do every kit, I imagine vendors have different locations. Be nice if there was a standard.

Not to be difficult, but when you add in different sled "options" that starts to make the operations more complex. I don't know if Landru is printing on demand or if he is keeping a stock. Since there is no standard I think he is trying to make these using as little media that he can to keep the costs down for everyone.

Again, I see drilling new holes to be the far easier option here. I have to do it for my 54mm bay and you won't hear a complaint from me as I'd rather spend an hour making my bays accommodate these sleds to make my life easier later. I already have a number of different sized sleds none of which interchange easily. This solves the problem for me in an elegant way.

I don't blame Landru for keeping this as simple as possible for himself. He has a great product that meets my needs and I am not concerned with spending a little time to optimize its benefit for me.

Not to be difficult, but when you add in different sled "options" that starts to make the operations more complex. I don't know if Landru is printing on demand or if he is keeping a stock. Since there is no standard I think he is trying to make these using as little media that he can to keep the costs down for everyone.

Again, I see drilling new holes to be the far easier option here. I have to do it for my 54mm bay and you won't hear a complaint from me as I'd rather spend an hour making my bays accommodate these sleds to make my life easier later. I already have a number of different sized sleds none of which interchange easily. This solves the problem for me in an elegant way.

I don't blame Landru for keeping this as simple as possible for himself. He has a great product that meets my needs and I am not concerned with spending a little time to optimize its benefit for me.

Indeed, I am trying to keep as few options as practical. I was originally trying to do a lot more custom work, but keeping track of the different versions is a lot more time consuming than just doing the CAD work.

I spent a lot of time trying to make the most practical spacing for the sleds. As I start adding distributors, I hope we see a large enough volume that this spacing will become the standard moving forward.

I forgot to mention most sleds are now "stocked" to avoid shipping delays.

Last edited:
Andrew, you've given me some definite food for thought -- I'm about to delve into the land of 3D printers, and this is a very intriguing application of them!

You've got a pretty slick design there, too.

-Kevin

Received my 38mm on Friday, looks really nice! I wonder if you can make a 29mm version.

Ari.

Good to know they are restocking these soon!
I'm going to buy a few more for my personal sleds.

So it took a while (the shipment was delayed) but I got a message this morning that my lipo and USB charger are on their way to me.

If the price drops a little, I am buying too.

---------------------
Join us at: rocketrysouthcarolina.com

Heads up folks, looks like the recommended LiPo from Sparkfun is finally back in stock.
See here: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10718

I know lots of folks have been waiting for these for a long time. Here you go.

s6

Thank you so much for this update. I had seen on Sunday that it was out of stock, and wasn't planning to check again until they said it would be back in stock (march).

Oh, also I got my 38mm Li-ion sled yesterday. It looks great, and everything seems to fit beautifully. I bought #10 allthread instead of#8, but I trust that'll fit well too :)

Thanks,
Nate

If the price drops a little, I am buying too.

---------------------
Join us at: rocketrysouthcarolina.com

The $9.95 price tag is scaring you off???? Or, do you mean the battery? These pre-fab sleds are an incredible value, in my mind.

Back