CTI 54mm Nozzle Dimensions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophecy

Reaction score
I'm pouring a 54mm single use motor this coming weekend using a spent CTI 54/4 grain nozzle I got out of a guy's trashcan at our launch last month. Anybody got the throat and height of this nozzle handy? I left it with a friend of mine to machine down to fit in the fiberglass tube, and doesn't look like he'll have it done in time for the mix, so I won't have it to measure anything before I gotta get the motor poured. At the very least, need to know how much clearance to leave in the back end of the motor tube.

Thanks!

If it is used, a new nozzle dimension won't help you much. The one you have will most likely be eroded from being fired. Best bet is to measure what you have.

Also, what motor was it from? Not all 4grain54's have the same nozzle

I've got several at home. I can post later today. Is there a specific dimension you're looking for? Total length from liner shoulder to exit?

Hi Jason, problem is I don't have the nozzle that's going to be used. A guy about 800 miles away from me is machining it and wasn't able to get it done and mailed in time for this weekend's mix. Of course it will be eroded but the unfired throat gives me a starting point and from there I can just run a conservative core:throat ratio to give me some wiggle room. No idea what the load was, not really familiar with CTI stuff as I haven't flown a commercial motor in years. Don't know CTI's nozzle manufacturing process but I assumed they tailored all their geometries in a single case size to use a common nozzle, much like AMW used to do to simplify things. Main concern is the total length of the full-diameter portion of the nozzle so I know how much empty tube to leave aft of my propellant when I cast it.

Thanks, DeeRoc!

Hi Jason, problem is I don't have the nozzle that's going to be used. A guy about 800 miles away from me is machining it and wasn't able to get it done and mailed in time for this weekend's mix. Of course it will be eroded but the unfired throat gives me a starting point and from there I can just run a conservative core:throat ratio to give me some wiggle room. No idea what the load was, not really familiar with CTI stuff as I haven't flown a commercial motor in years. Don't know CTI's nozzle manufacturing process but I assumed they tailored all their geometries in a single case size to use a common nozzle, much like AMW used to do to simplify things. Main concern is the total length of the full-diameter portion of the nozzle so I know how much empty tube to leave aft of my propellant when I cast it.

Thanks, DeeRoc!

CTI and AT both tailor the nozzle sizes to the individual loads.

Thanks, DeeRoc!

Got it. good luck.

image_zpsff3e56c6.jpg

Back