Going for Level 1 and Level 2 with a Madcow Torrent

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Campbell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am returning to HPR after a 14 year absence. For (re)certification, I chose the Madcow Torrent mainly because it came with a removeable electronics bay, providing an an easy growth path to dual deployment. I am comtemplating a few modifications to the kit to bring it up to my preferences. I would appreciate recommendations for any additional mod.

1. Adding a third centering ring so I can tie both the leading and trailing edges of the fin tabs into the structure and the extra ring will hold the motor tube aligned while I add internal fillets.

2. Adding a nomex shock cord protector. The kit comes with a heavy duty tubular nylon shock cord. I'm not certain how flame resistant tubular nylon is.

3. I am also considering replacing the included 36 inch main chute with a larger (44 inch?) one. Some of the reviews I read state the included chute is too small.

4. Added an Aero Pac motor retainer.

I plan on staying with motor ejection for my certification flights and then using this rocket to gain experience setting up dual deployment systems.

Rob

I don’t think the third centering ring is needed. If you screw a couple screws part way into the aft ring, you can insert the motor mount into the airframe. Epoxy the forward ring in, but not the aft ring. The temp aft ring installation will hold the motor tube in place until the fins are installed. After the fins are in, they’ll hold the motor tube in place. Pull on the screws to remove the aft ring and add your internal fillets. Then remove the screws and fill the holes with epoxy when you epoxy the aft ring in. I’m sure others here have an alternate method.

You’ll want the cord protector. Without protection, the tubular nylon will get damaged over time with the ejection charge and eventually fail. As an alternate, you can fill the motor tube above the motor with dog barf. I think the cord protector is a cleaner, easier method. YMMV.

Chute size and descent rate depends on how heavy your rocket is, hard your landing area is, how rugged your construction is, and how windy it is where you fly. The Madcow plywood fins are pretty tough and can take a decent shot. I’ve repeatedly launched a Madcow Phoenix, Patriot, and DX3 with 36” chutes and had them land on hard playa with no damage.

Dual deploy is an excellent way to keep recovery walks short on windy days. Plus it’s fun to launch the rocket and watch it take care of itself. Apogee has some good videos to walk you through the set-up (the Level 2 series). I’m assuming you bought your Torrent kit from Madcow and know where to find them.

REMEMBER to not epoxy in your coupler. Use the removable rivets. That way you can change back and forth from single deploy motor ejection to dual.

Good luck on your certs!

Last edited:
I also do not believe the third ring is necessary. This is a thread that talks about the issue with a Mad Cow DX3 (very similar rocket).

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59212-L1-Certification-Build-Madcow-Super-DX3

You do need to protect the nylon shock cord. I tied a short length of Kevlar shock cord to get the nylon out of the airframe. I also use a 48" Fruity Chute.

You picked a great rocket to get both certifications. I wish you success.

I live close to mad cow and go over there whenever I need something. Mike is really nice and is very knowledgeable specially about the Rockets he designed. He might have some really good suggestions for you. I would contact Mike directly through their email and ask him specific questions on how he can help you achieve what you're trying to do. He tests his rockets at Lucerne. So he has real experience with what he sells.

Back