RED GLARE XVI - April 11-13 - Price, MD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want pictures and video?

Here's my big oops of the weekend...76-6000 White that let go pretty spectacularly. My Competitor 5 needs a MAJOR overhaul now, but most of the components are intact...except for the motor mount and the electronics. ARTS2 and RRC3 are dead, although the charred and smashed RRC3 still popped the main!

[YOUTUBE]VbPTbzfZiL4[/YOUTUBE]

SDC10114.jpg

Otherwise, I flew four flights. Had a great time, caught up with great people, and enjoyed the weekend immensely! I have plenty to keep me busy after all the carnage that resulted from my flights!!!

You want pictures and video?

Here's my big oops of the weekend...76-6000 White that let go pretty spectacularly. My Competitor 5 needs a MAJOR overhaul now, but most of the components are intact...except for the motor mount and the electronics. ARTS2 and RRC3 are dead, although the charred and smashed RRC3 still popped the main!
Otherwise, I flew four flights. Had a great time, caught up with great people, and enjoyed the weekend immensely! I have plenty to keep me busy after all the carnage that resulted from my flights!!!

Sorry too hear about the CATO Dan, it sure was a good "Up" until the *Boom*....:y:
Funny how Neil's Oooooooooowwwwwww..... in the background feed off the exhaust note.
Get it fixed up and, do it again!;) (Not the CATO thing...) If you don't pop one or trash one every once *in a little while*, you aren't trying hard enough....might just want to take up knitting.:rolleyes:

What a fantastic weekend,,,,,,,,,,,
I don't think I will ever forget this launch...........
My wife was there with me
and we had such a fantastic time it was insane..............

When the Honest John flight went bad
my wife and I were in the field behind the parking area recovering my Green Hornet........
The lower half of the Honest John roared over our heads..........
Neither one of us will ever forget that,,,,, it was just unbelievable............

We had such a dynamite weekend ,,,,,

I can't say enough positive about MDRA the hosting club......
They worked their tails off......
They ran their tails off..........

This is the standard by which a large launch should be executed..............

Unbelievable.................

Teddy

What a fantastic weekend,,,,,,,,,,,
I don't think I will ever forget this launch...........
My wife was there with me
and we had such a fantastic time it was insane..............

When the Honest John flight went bad
my wife and I were in the field behind the parking area recovering my Green Hornet........
The lower half of the Honest John roared over our heads..........
Neither one of us will ever forget that,,,,, it was just unbelievable............

We had such a dynamite weekend ,,,,,

I can't say enough positive about MDRA the hosting club......
They worked their tails off......
They ran their tails off..........

This is the standard by which a large launch should be executed..............

Unbelievable.................

Teddy

I'm glad you had fun, because without you and your shock cords I would have had to spend a lot of time sewing!

It was a pleasure talking you about the max with the canted cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
I was so pissed.............
I really wanted to try to get a shot of that canted cluster getting off the pad.........
I saw someone else got a gorgeous shot of it,,, it was so cool........
I was out in the field recovering,,,,,,,,,,,
That rocket is smokin,,,,
The quality of the build and attention to detail is insane...........

It was really nice talking to you as well........

I want to see that Max fly again for sure.........

Teddy

Thank you MDRA for running yet another top-quality event. I had a great time, as always. With my impending move, I'm not sure when I'll get to see you all again, but I hope it's soon!

Thank you MDRA for running yet another top-quality event. I had a great time, as always. With my impending move, I'm not sure when I'll get to see you all again, but I hope it's soon!

Our thanks go out to all the fliers who make the Red Glare launches what they are. Without your awesome projects, we have nothing. The weather was great until the winds really kicking up on Sunday afternoon after 3:00. The flight cards have not been counted and Newton Seconds have not been tabulated yet, but I have no doubt they will be extreme.

ROCKETS Magazine will be doing an article on the launch and as soon as we can get the data sheet posted, I will advise.....

If you have high quality Photos and Video and you want it included get in touch with us at [email protected]

For those who missed it....there is always Red Glare XVII.......:point:

Neil

:flyingpig:

Our thanks go out to all the fliers who make the Red Glare launches what they are. Without your awesome projects, we have nothing. The weather was great until the winds really kicking up on Sunday afternoon after 3:00. The flight cards have not been counted and Newton Seconds have not been tabulated yet, but I have no doubt they will be extreme.

ROCKETS Magazine will be doing an article on the launch and as soon as we can get the data sheet posted, I will advise.....

If you have high quality Photos and Video and you want it included get in touch with us at [email protected]

Neil

Neil,

Thank you SO MUCH for your effort with the launch. As usual, the launch went unbelievably smoothly thanks in great part to you and all of the other primary contributors!

Dan

Anyone have video on the ho jo to put up. I heard it was wild. I am in California this week missed the launch but would love to see some flghts.

Here is a video I shot of it with my cellphone:
[video=youtube_share;oYYZRwqJctY]https://youtu.be/oYYZRwqJctY[/video]

nathan,

that video is exactly how i remember it,but then, i was standing right next to you !
:)
the nose came down in the parking area pointy end first and made a nice hole in the
ground about 6" behind the bumper of my wife's car(the beige camry in the video).
she thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. you showed great 'composure'
following that flight because i was seriously considering hitting the dirt when it
turned horizontal.

Neil

The Red Glare XVI Data Sheets are available at www.rocketsmagazine.com

If you were there and would like to be included in the upcoming article, fill one out and send it to us at [email protected] , we want to hear from you.

Neil

the nose came down in the parking area pointy end first and made a nice hole in the
ground about 6" behind the bumper of my wife's car(the beige camry in the video).
she thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. you showed great 'composure'
following that flight because i was seriously considering hitting the dirt when it
turned horizontal.

C'mon, Glenn, that was at least 6.5"

P1060872.jpg

nathan,

that video is exactly how i remember it,but then, i was standing right next to you !
:)
turned horizontal.

That is why EVERY FLIGHT is a HEADS UP FLIGHT.....you never know who is going to get their turn in the barrel until the button is pushed...no amount of RSO'ing could have predicted the staggered start of the three motors being lit with thermite....pay attention to launch operations for all flights, not just the big ones.......just saying.....

Neil

Last edited:
Aaarghh!

Just found out the dates for the next MDRA launch are May 17 - 18. My son's birthday party is May 17 and my wife's birthday is May 18. I will not be able to make it.

Really wanted to try my first dual deploy. :(

MDRA has a summer field located at the Central Sod Farm off of 301.
This is not the same field as Red Glare.

JD

Aaarghh!

Just found out the dates for the next MDRA launch are May 17 - 18. My son's birthday party is May 17 and my wife's birthday is May 18. I will not be able to make it.

Really wanted to try my first dual deploy. :(

Hey guy's,,,,,,
I just finished processing
what seemed like a million pic's.......
It's unreal how much time it takes
to go through them all,,
doing all of the cropping and such...........

There's way too many too post here
so I put them up on my site in the gallery.........

www.Onebadhawk.com

Plus,,, It's a shameless plug for my site anyhooose.....lol

I really got some nice shots though,,,,
I usually don't ,,, I'm not that great with the camera....lol....

063.jpg 068.jpg 037.jpg 054.jpg

There in the gallery called Red Glare XVI....................

Teddy

Last edited:
A well-deserved THANK YOU! goes out to Tommy for the use of his land and his incredible chicken!

IMG_20140412_091707_003_zpse0d6a9e4.jpg

My PML Thunder and Lightning flight

[video=youtube;_drAojycdMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drAojycdMk&feature=player_detailpage#t=0[/video]

Lots of videos have been posted to the Maryland Delaware Rocketry youtube page. Thank you Peter for all the great footage.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Hey guy's,,,,,,
I just finished processing
what seemed like a million pic's.......
It's unreal how much time it takes
to go through them all,,
doing all of the cropping and such...........

There's way too many too post here
so I put them up on my site in the gallery.........

www.Onebadhawk.com

Plus,,, It's a shameless plug for my site anyhooose.....lol

I really got some nice shots though,,,,
I usually don't ,,, I'm not that great with the camera....lol....

There in the gallery called Red Glare XVI....................

Teddy

Awesome pics here and on your site!

Awesome pics here and on your site!

Thank you John,,,
It took me all week,, a bit at a time to process all of the pic's.....
Some of them came out really cool.......
It was certainly nice to see you at a launch again........
Is there a chance we could talk you into going up to
Potter N.Y. in June for URRF........
It's promising to be another insanely cool launch........

Teddy

Formula 200, N5600WT, 11,540', Mach 1.1
Video by Justin Gleiter.

[video=youtube_share;EqW7cwZ9xBk]https://youtu.be/EqW7cwZ9xBk[/video]

Thank you John,,,
It took me all week,, a bit at a time to process all of the pic's.....
Some of them came out really cool.......
It was certainly nice to see you at a launch again........
Is there a chance we could talk you into going up to
Potter N.Y. in June for URRF........
It's promising to be another insanely cool launch........

Teddy

P.M. me with details. You never know.

Formula 200, N5600WT, 11,540', Mach 1.1
Video by Justin Gleiter.

[video=youtube_share;EqW7cwZ9xBk]https://youtu.be/EqW7cwZ9xBk[/video]

Gary,,,
I got a couple of nice shots of that ignition and launch,,,,,,

095.jpg 096.jpg

That was a smokin flight.........

Teddy

Back