RED GLARE XVI - April 11-13 - Price, MD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
We're just under one month away from Red Glare XVI and I don't see the typical thread started by Gary T, what gives?

It would appear that I will be making an appearance after skipping out on the last RG due to it being late in the year last year. Who else is coming and what do you plan to fly?

I'm bringing:

Broken_Arrow_J820LW.jpg
Rocketry Warehouse Broken Arrow XP
4" Diameter, 8’ long
ShadowAero Flash Streamer at Apogee
Skyangle 60" Main @ 600’
MWC RRC3 & ARTS2 Altimeters
Tragic Little Aerospace GPS Tracking
76-6000 M1600 Red

[Insert Picture Later!]

Scratch Built 5.5" Nike Smoke
5.5" Diameter, 6’ Long
Custom 24" Nomex Drogue at Apogee
Skyangle 60" Main at 600’
MWC RRC3 & ARTS2 Altimeters
Tragic Little Aerospace GPS
1 - 54-2550 L1000 Tiger Tail
4 - 29-400 I225 White Airstarts @ 4 seconds

Also in the car will be my Performance Rocketry Intimidator 3 and Scratch Bad Attitude downscale. I will also be bringing extra motors to fly these rockets based on weather conditions, i.e. I will most likely have 54mm 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G motors for the Intimidator and Nike Smoke, and 76mm 1.5G, 2G, and 3G motors for the Broken Arrow. I will be prepared!

So...what are you all bringing?

I missed the last RG too, so I hope to get the 'down' part right on UFO Invaderx4 next month!

I am hoping to be there on Saturday. I may attempt to L1 certify, but it's too soon to tell. I'll be there for the monthly launch tomorrow.

I have an Estes Ascender with booster stage. Twin F15s, see if I can get it to 2000' or higher, then take the long walk. :)

I also have an Aerotech G-Force and Aerotech Sumo. Some G reloads and SUs for those. Plus I'll do some smaller LPR stuff.

If I attempt L1 on my Sumo, I'll need to decide on what motor and reload to pick up at RG for the attempt.

Dan, This thread was started 1st and beat me to the punch. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?62666-MDRA-Spring-RED-GLARE-XVI-Dates-Announced!

Glad you’re going to make this one, I also missed the last RG as well for the obvious reasons. Oh sorry I didn’t get back to you... lots of crap going on.

Not a 100% sure on what I'm flying yet, if I get the Formula 200 done in time that will be going up on CTI's New N5600WT. Also my 6" STINGER will fly on that CTI K4000.

Dan, This thread was started 1st and beat me to the punch. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?62666-MDRA-Spring-RED-GLARE-XVI-Dates-Announced!

Glad you’re going to make this one, I also missed the last RG as well for the obvious reasons. Oh sorry I didn’t get back to you... lots of crap going on.

Not a 100% sure on what I'm flying yet, if I get the Formula 200 done in time that will be going up on CTI's New N5600WT. Also my 6" STINGER will fly on that CTI K4000.

Awesome Gary! Glad to hear back from you and I am looking forward to hanging out at the field!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Ultimate wildman on a red M
4 inch wildthang tiger tail L (twice)
Wildman JR on all sorts of red, red sparkey, swamp gas and tiger tail

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Just flying my 4" Darkstar on an M4500 Ultraviolet that's been loaded for about 18 months. Hoping for clear skies and low winds. Looking forward to seeing everybody!

Todd

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Just flying my 4" Darkstar on an M4500 Ultraviolet that's been loaded for about 18 months. Hoping for clear skies and low winds. Looking forward to seeing everybody!

Todd

Change your batteries...

Update. I plan to be there on Saturday. Since I got my L1 last week, I'll be flying my Sumo on whatever 29mm 3G motors AMW has in stock. I doubt I'll have my GiantLeap Vertical Assault received, built, and painted by then.

I'll pick the motors when I see the weather, but looking forward to flying:

High Anxiety (Ultimate Wildman) - M or N depending on conditions
ARR Predator 10K - AT K550W or a big J
Madcow Aerobee (modded for DD) - H or I

and assorted MPR and LPR stuff with my wife and daughter.

I'll be there all 3 days:

L2 Cert Attempt - Madcow Frenzy J430 White Thunder 54mm 2 Grain. ~ 3400ft
Jericho on an I540 White Thunder 5 Grain, then a J270 Green
Possibly my Patriot on the I540 5 Grain as well.

I'll be there for sure,,,,,,,,,,
I've been waiting for this flight for a long time,,,,,,,,,,,
My 54 mm minimum D Altitude Seeker
on an Aerotech 54 / 2560 K 480 W
This flight should make 2 miles for sure,,,,
Maybe 12K...................

Teddy

Altitude Seeker 008.jpg 112.jpg

Two weeks from today we rock!

Flight Plan:

• STINGER 6 - K4000VM
  • VORLON 5 - M1830CS
  • BROKEN ARROW 5 XP - M2505WT
  • FORMULA 200 - N5600WT
All we need now is good weather!

Also I'll have plenty of BLASTCAPS on hand for those interested.

I've got a Rad Rock meeting and a METRA launch the Saturday before Red Glare...........
That gives me a chance to get all tuned up..................lol

Gary,,,,
Will you go to the METRA launch ?????

Teddy

My flights have changed, as well!

Bad Attitude - 76/6000 M1600 Red
Bad Attitude - 76/6000 M1900 White
Competitor 5 - 98-7500 M2500 Yellow
Intimidator 3 - 54-1750 K550 WL Clone

Can't wait for the launch!

Ok, here it is Folks! Board Inspected, Board Approved!

Mega Max Drag Race...

For those MDRA members attending Red Glare 16, we will once again stage a 'Mega Max Drag Race' in similar fashion to the one's held at RG 14 and RG 15. If you have a Mega Max, or a clone of a Mega Max, or multiple Mega Max's, come ready to join the fun.

Date:Saturday, April 12(rain date Sun April 13-noon)
Time:between Noon and 1PM
Where: RG 16 @ Higgs Farm, Price MD
What: Mega Max or clones there of(40" tall +/-)
Why: it looks and sounds very cool
How: choose your own motor, and show up !
Mega Drag.jpg
As the talking pig on TV likes to say.. here are the other "pertinents and such"...

Choose your own motor-"sparkies" and "smokies" provide the best visual effect-but dry weather could
mean a ban on 'sparkies' so have an alternate motor choice...the same may apply if the ceiling is low.

We dont have a specific launch time due to the very nature of launches....we roll thru the racks as they
fill up, and then reload them. We will not be starting after 1PM though because the saturday crowd at RG tends to get heavy then and we dont want to inconvenience the non-Max fliers. Pity them yes, but inconvenience them, no.

There will be occasional announcements Saturday morning through the MDRA PA system pertaining to any possible motor bans, number of confirmed entries...etc..and a more specific launch time as it becomes
available.

All entries of course must pass through the usual RSO inspection, plan accordingly and as always use good sound personal judgement. Try to have your flight vehicles prepped and inspected by Noon. MDRA will make
a sincere effort to accommodate all the entries we have, and we have yet to run out of pads for one of these, but lets try to do so!

...and most importantly, as in the past, there are no winners of the Mega Max drag race, and there are no losers. there are only.... survivors (and those that are, shall we say... less fortunate).

*this is an equal opportunity affair, ALL colors of Mega's are accepted and respected. We like variety and so do the rocketry gods...or so we've been told !

See You All There!
Photo Credit Nick DeBrita
Used with permission.

OK Gary,,,,,,,,
It is a cool launch your missing though,,, I wish you could make it..........

Dave,,,,,,,,,

That's INSANE,,,,,,,, that line,,,,,,,,,,, "Pertinents and such".........

That is so getting hijacked............
I hope you don't have a copyright on that line cause it's gettin infringed upon..............lol

Teddy

Dominator 4 - Sith Happens on a 3600 Red Star - About and L950
Madcow AGM Pike on an I 300 Purple Nebula

If the weather is perfect and I can go to 12,500' I will have my CTI M 1830 CSTAR ready to go for a Cert flight.
Testing my TeleMetrum at METRA the week before.

Got to pack light, driving to Asheville right after the launch to see my parents.
photo.jpg

Pop up ads on this site everywhere now. Gary, I thought you were selling Blast Caps and Verizon Fios when I saw this post.

Anyone come across "Deals4 you" ? from this site?
It some how got onto my computer and now I'm scanning with Malewarebytes to remove it.

JD

Pop up ads on this site everywhere now. Gary, I thought you were selling Blast Caps and Verizon Fios when I saw this post.

OK Gary,,,,,,,,
It is a cool launch your missing though,,, I wish you could make it..........

Dave,,,,,,,,,

That's INSANE,,,,,,,, that line,,,,,,,,,,, "Pertinents and such".........

That is so getting hijacked............
I hope you don't have a copyright on that line cause it's gettin infringed upon..............lol

Teddy
Teddy, Actually Glenn came up with that, its from the Geico commercial with the talking pig! (Boots and pants, and boots and pants!!!)

Boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants.............

Teddy

I expect to see Teddy in his folding chair with his Perrier bottle singing that on Saturday

Deal...........

Boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants,,,,,,,,

I'm gonna have all my pertinents and such..............

Teddy

Choose your own motor-"sparkies" and "smokies" provide the best visual effect-but dry weather could
mean a ban on 'sparkies' so have an alternate motor choice...

I'm looking out the window right now and thinking it won't be too dry.

Last edited:
OK, Maryland rocketry types, I am in urgent need of a few 8-32 Weld Nuts. Can't find them at Ace, True Value, Home Depot (no surprise), Fastenal, Fawcett's Marine Fasteners - nobody even seems to know what they are.

I can order them, but I sort of need them yesterday. Where in the vicinity of Annapolis, Pasadena, Bowie, etc. do I get this simple item?

It's just where I am in the build right now...and it's a rainy day with no excuses needing to be made for why I'm down in the basement gluing things together.

OK, Maryland rocketry types, I am in urgent need of a few 8-32 Weld Nuts. Can't find them at Ace, True Value, Home Depot (no surprise), Fastenal, Fawcett's Marine Fasteners - nobody even seems to know what they are.

I can order them, but I sort of need them yesterday. Where in the vicinity of Annapolis, Pasadena, Bowie, etc. do I get this simple item?

It's just where I am in the build right now...and it's a rainy day with no excuses needing to be made for why I'm down in the basement gluing things together.

Mcmaster Carr,,,,,,,,,,
Order them today,,,,,,,,
IF you don't have em tomorrow,,,
You'll probably have em the next day...........

Teddy

Found some threaded inserts that should do the job nicely

Back