Rockets Magazine no longer printed.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least I was not screwed by them like a certain other publisher. I was given a credit to use towards purchase of DVD's or photos from their website.

Absolutely true...

Where's the three years of LAUNCH I paid for and never received??

That's why I won't support that bunch in ANYTHING they do anymore...

Later! OL JR :)

Let's get real. If and when an EMP event happens, not being able to use a tablet will not be the most pressing issue in your life.

We had a joke based on something along this line back in the eighties when i was in the Air Force working on the Minuteman ICBM's.

*It's NOT the EMP or intense acoustical effects that are going to turn your body inside out.....but, that blinding flash and, 10,000 degree heat wave your going to encounter...rather quickly that will do the trick very nicely...*:cool:

I love print magazines. I like the fact, I CAN ARCHIVE IT, and when I need to review something, I have it at my finger tips. I have gone to websites to try and find past articles, that were in a printed magazine, and get the electronic run around. Even when you give the correct name of the article, you get this message, "Search found no results, try different key words or different search criteria". I know some of you have had the same problem when you go to search online for things.

BINGO!

My take on a paperless society...:tongue: https://youtu.be/HHEYtw4IMpY

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the recent increase of children wearing bifocals and, trifocals while not even being old enough to have a drivers license...

Lasik surgery was the BEST money i ever spent years ago too counter a "Genetic" impairment in my sight...not "Induced".

...Lasik surgery was the BEST money i ever spent years ago too counter a "Genetic" impairment in my sight...not "Induced".

My older brother said the same thing. He had worn glasses or contacts all his life....in his 40's he had successful LASIK. Said it was the best money he's ever spent.

I like the digital version better. Easier to carry with you where ever you go and pick up to read anytime.

Talking with Neil yesterday I mentioned I for whatever reason didn't get around to subscribing past the 1st year. No particular reason, just didn't get to it. One of many it turned out. They feel they can make it work this way - free digital beats paid print any day so I'm hoping they do.

A few days ago I saw a link to the current version of the magazine with the URRF coverage in it. I can't find that link.

What about printing it? Send it off to a print shop. 60 pages? 20 cents a color duplex page? 12 bucks. Or just print the pages with non-ads. Use your own printer.

I enjoy ebooks, but emagazines just don't seem the same. I've tried a couple, just don't like 'em. Maybe it'll be like the vegetables that I eat now, but didn't like as a kid...

Magazines and newspapers need to start making better use of electronic media. I understand that paper presents certain size limits on lengths of articles and number of photos (if any). However, websites and electronic medium have no inherent size limitations. Newspaper and magazine websites should have more photos and longer versions of articles. Newspaper articles on websites can offer more details that there simply wasn't room for on the printed page.

I see people comment all the time on the local newspaper website about why was the article so short, or why was no photo included? I know the reason the article was short was to fit on the printed page, but why can't the website offer a longer version? No photo was included because there wasn't room for a photo on the printed page. In most cases at least one photo is available, but nobody took the extra time to add the photo to the website because it wasn't in the printed version. The electronic version of the day's paper is strictly an exact replica of the printed paper without any extras.

At least some magazines are finally getting smart and offering extra photo galleries for the electronic version of their magazine.

Subscribed and downloaded the PDF and the first thing that I noticed is that the traditional magazine two column layout just does not work on a wide screen display. The adds are easy to read and follow, but the two column up and down scrolling required layout for the articles has got to go.

Anybody notice there is not issue #27. What is up with that?

Today I was in the back seat on a two hour trip thumbing through the printed pages trying to enjoy the urrf article. I dropped and fumbled the pages on the wet floor it was annoying. My daughter and her girl friend calmly continued to read there hard bound books. She continually shows me where the book marker is when setting it down it stimulates her to read more. I do own a ipad and laptop they all have there purpose. I was heading to our cabin where I try to enjoy the simple things. I liked the responses there are many good points. I still think we should have a choice, obviously there would be a cost difference depending on your preference. I wound up using the mess to start the fire in the fire place so I could enjoy a book by firelight a family tradition. Its all good.

Last edited:
Talking with Neil yesterday I mentioned I for whatever reason didn't get around to subscribing past the 1st year. No particular reason, just didn't get to it. One of many it turned out. They feel they can make it work this way - free digital beats paid print any day so I'm hoping they do.

Thats strange. Bob ribbed me for not having an ad anymore, but didnt mention about e-zine.
I dont have service at the shop and read a mag during lunch.
But if done right the ezine could be a blast. Links to vids, spreadsheets, etc. And for an advertiser, who does 90% biz on the net, would be awesome.

It's official and the web site is now ready for the general public.

ROCKETS Magazine will become an E-Zine. The ROCKETS Magazine E-Zine will be free, by clicking on the link below and following the directions on the front page of the ROCKETS Magazine web site.

www.rocketsmagazine.com

The transition to the new E-Zine will be a work in progress; it will change and improve to meet the rocketeer and vendor needs. The long term goal is to make it an interactive multi-media experience with high quality photos and videos integrated / embedded into the E-Zine. You are now able to click on photographs for a link directly to the New ROCKETS Magazine You Tube Page to view some of the featured flights;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1w5BT-MQ6ga7iwbeifLTvA?feature=watch

The ads in the magazine will link directly to the advertiser’s web pages.

We continue to invite all of our readers to supply content for the magazine and we encourage your input on the new E-zine. The opportunities to expand and enhance the written content as a multimedia presentation will be an exciting quantum leap in the presentation of ROCKETS Magazine. ROCKETS Magazine will continue to travel the country to bring avid rocketeers the best the hobby has to offer.

Check it out, it’s free and that is the rockers second favorite word next to “hope”…as in “I hope this works.”

For folks thinking about writing articles, we can now include videos in conjunction with the photographs to help get your point across to the readers. For example, imagine describing a deployment system you designed and having photos that show all the components in a static format, then by clicking on the photo it will link to a video showing the components in action. Check out the photos in the URRF Article and you’ll see what I mean.

Articles to consider….Tech Articles, Personal Project Articles and of course, Launch Reports. Promote your club and all the good work you do. For those of you with writer’s cramp and there doesn’t seem too much of that in the forums, consider, the articles do not have to be that long due to the new multi-media options we have.

Also, for those who would like to see the paper version continue and would be willing to pay more to see that happen, we hear you, so would we. However, we have looked at every aspect of keeping it going in that format and the paper version has simply become cost prohibitive, due to printing and mailing costs. The E-Zine will offer more information and multi-media content than the paper format ever could.

Any questions can be directed to [email protected]

We look forward to hearing from you and collaborating on future articles and projects.

Neil

:flyingpig:

Last edited:
ROCKETS Magazine would like to thank all the folks who have logged into the ROCKETS Magazine web site and have down loaded the New ROCKETS Magazine E-Zine. We also appreciate the comments and will strive to continue to improve the new format with each upcoming issue. We are looking forward to the promised articles and collaborating with the authors to make them a full multi-media presentation. This is a great time to get creative and think outside of the box......

Neil

:flyingpig:

I am not against an electronic release but I really would rather them turn the mag into a blog style website instead.

I am also VERY disappointed they are going digital. And i have no interest in a DVD as a refund for my prepaid subscription. I can't remember, but I think I purchased as much time as they offered. I want my money back. I would also pay a higher sticker price for the printed version. Right now their website won't load at all and when it did I did not see a notice to current subscribers about what options they have - it should be large and right up front.

I am not against an electronic release but I really would rather them turn the mag into a blog style website instead.

Back