Love coffee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the smell of fresh roasted coffee, your wives may have a cow because the whole house smells like a coffee house.

Won't work in my house- only have one wife and no cows.

I already make wine, bread, pita chips, and potato chips. I don't think I would have time for another DIY food project. Maybe my wives could help me with this one.

If you get tired of cat poop coffee, you can always try panda pooh tea.

While browsing in a store that specialized in odd international products that were "environmentally interesting" we once found a pad of paper. All of the paper had been made from elephant poo. Apparently their diet is very high in fiber...

I used to work on a college newspaper, and Tusday night was production night where we would do all of the layout (not a fully digital layout like now --- manual cut and paste) and proof all of the artwork before driving it over a local newspaper for them to print it. We would start around 10 pm and had to have artwork to the newspaper by 6 am, so it was an all-night thing.

The first time I did it, someone brought in a huge bowl of chocolate-covered espresso beans for the group. They ere delicious, and I was hungry, so all night long I was snacking on them like they were M&Ms. After you eat a half pound of coffee beans, you are WIRED!!!

I was feeling really strange, almost like I was mildly hallucinating. We all went out for omelettes and bloody Mary's (as journalists do), and I had several, trying to knock the edge off the caffeine buzz. It didn't really work. I was totally exhausted but could not manage to nap that day or even sleep the next night. I went two full nights without sleep.

Also, there was "lower GI involvement." Little did I know that those Hershey squirts probably contained a fortune in homemade Lewak beans.

There was one guy that came on the internet and said we all knew nothing about coffee if we didn't prefer Robusto beans in a French press. That authoritative article disagrees with that one in the first sentence ;) .

I like dark coffee. And plenty of cheap coffee isn't "burnt". Although Starbucks does make it hard to tell the difference between dark roast and anything that isn't supposed to be, if it wasn't for them or another like them, most of us wouldn't know anything about coffee but Maxwell House. I've been getting a bag of their House decaf the last couple winters for a nighttime warm-up, yummy instead of like dishwater.

I did come across a nice blend method. I got some Seattle #5 extra dark and it was too bitter, and remembered I had some Sumatra beans from Wegman's that were surprisingly light roast. Mixed together was excellent. Makes sense -- top quality light roast, plus anything dark for gusto.

I am coffee addicted....

Recently invested in a German company that is building a coffee machine that automatically filters, roasts, grinds and brews one cup of coffee at a time. You can control and tweak every aspect of the processes.

machine-smaller1.png

[h=2]The machine[/h]Roasting, grinding and brewing is now at your fingertips. With our coffee machine, you can go from green beans to black coffee at a single push of a button. Simple and elegant.

https://bonaverde.eu/

I've been roasting for quite a few years now. Here's my first roaster. It's a modified Mr Poppery (original version). These particular air popcorn poppers have a 1500W element which is more than adequate for roasting coffee and are very well built. The modification consists of removing the thermostat and wiring the blower onto a separate plug. One can then control the heating element with a variac. With some experimentation, you can get very good roasts out of this thing. I've found that peaberry beans roast very well in it. The can is from a large can of chicken broth. The chaffe is blown out during the roasting process so there's little fire danger at all from darker roasts.

p1010001_rotated.jpg

The Mr Poppery is a very inexpensive way to get started. My second roaster was a Behmor 1600, my third a Hot Top.

I've been roasting for quite a few years now. Here's my first roaster. It's a modified Mr Poppery (original version). These particular air popcorn poppers have a 1500W element which is more than adequate for roasting coffee and are very well built. The modification consists of removing the thermostat and wiring the blower onto a separate plug. One can then control the heating element with a variac. With some experimentation, you can get very good roasts out of this thing. I've found that peaberry beans roast very well in it. The can is from a large can of chicken broth. The chaffe is blown out during the roasting process so there's little fire danger at all from darker roasts.

View attachment 167054

The Mr Poppery is a very inexpensive way to get started. My second roaster was a Behmor 1600, my third a Hot Top.

What about the Chemical Lining inside the Can? Did you figure out a way to remove it or burn it off before using it to roast in?

I recently learned something which may be of interest to coffee drinkers like me, something that the serious ones have probably known for a very long time. Virtually all of the coffee beans and ground coffee sold in this country is improperly roasted, intentionally burned to destroy any variations in flavor from batch to batch, something which eliminates pleasant flavors present in properly roasted coffee, and which allows the use of cheaper beans.

Burned Beans — The Shame of Starbucks

https://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/03/09/burned-beans-the-shame-of-starbucks/

Tech stuff

https://lisasimplyme.blogspot.com/2011/10/burnt-burned-coffee-taste-what-theyre.html

Do Me a Favor. Stop Buying Bad Coffee.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicholas-thompson/do-me-a-favor-stop-buying_b_2573097.html

What properly roasted coffee bean grounds should typically look like:

r-IDEAS-FOR-OLD-COFFEE-GROUNDS-large570.jpg

I completely agree that most coffee is extremely over-roasted. Now...the tamper of coffee in the photograph looks a little blonde to me. It may be the color correction on my monitor, but under-roasted coffee will taste just like the smell of cut grass! It is important to remember that each coffee has it's sweet spot for roasting and it varies by region, type of bean, type of processing and other factors. Sweet Maria's Coffee Library is a good place to start to learn more than you ever thought you needed to know about coffee.

Saturday mornings are my roasting time. I love the way the house fills with the aroma of roasted coffee! Today we have in the roaster coffees from Brazil, El Salvador, Columbia, Rwanda, and Guatemala. It's going to be a good coffee week!

Cheers,
Michael

Dang it-now I need a cup of over-roasted, cheep, crappy coffee. I'll save hundreds of man-hours and untold amounts of money by never having a cup of coffee in Hawaii. I don't care how tame your civet cat is, I'm not sifting the litter box before I'm fully awake. You know how hobbies get. I don't want breakfast to be one of 'em.....

Dang it-now I need a cup of over-roasted, cheep, crappy coffee. I'll save hundreds of man-hours and untold amounts of money by never having a cup of coffee in Hawaii. I don't care how tame your civet cat is, I'm not sifting the litter box before I'm fully awake. You know how hobbies get. I don't want breakfast to be one of 'em.....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Unfortunately the burnt crappy coffee is over priced.

But NOT decaf.

JUNE 11, 2019
In fluke experiment, espresso quells rare genetic disease

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-06-fluke-espresso-quells-rare-genetic.html

A lot of people say they cannot live without coffee, but for one 11-year-old boy living in France, that may be literally true.

When his parents accidently bought decaffeinated capsules recently, a rare genetic muscular disorder—which they knew could be held in check by two shots of espresso per day—flared up, provoking uncontrollable and painful muscle spasms.

Four days of agony, anguish and doctor's visits followed before his parents realised their mistake. Once they boy started drinking the caffeinated brew again, the symptoms subsided.

"It's one of those amazing cases of serendipity that dot the history of medicine," said Emmanuel Flamand-Roze, a doctor at Pitie-Salpetriere Hospital in Paris and lead author of a study published Tuesday about the disease afflicting his patient.

Unwittingly, Flamand-Roze told AFP, the parents had carried out what scientists called a double-blind placebo experiment—the most rigorous test possible to see if a drug or treatment actually works.

In this case, the accidental test proved the efficacy of caffeine as a treatment of dyskinesia—a family of disorders characterised by violent, involuntary muscle movements—caused by a mutation in the ADCY5 gene. "The arms, legs and face all move wildly," Flamand-Roze explained.

"This child couldn't ride a bike, walk home from school, write with a pencil—a seizure-like crisis could strike at any time." ADCY5-related dyskinesia is a roughly one-in-a-million disease, and there is no known cure.

Doctors had long known that strong coffee helps quell the muscle spasms, but the condition is so rare that there are not enough patients to conduct an experiment in which one group take the "medicine", and another imbibes a look-alike—in this case, a taste-alike—placebo.

Coffee up to 5 cups reduces all-cause mortality. The question is it because it reduces disease or reduces homicidal thoughts in the drinker.

Honestly I really don't drink Starbucks coffee, but I will have their specialty drinks, mochas and lattes etc. As far as coffee and the taste being consistent and actually pretty good is McDonald's.

Back