2014 Oddisee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it'll fly... Perhaps more like a brick than a Cherokee D, but I'm sure that it'll fly. :wink:

I love to cut into the ones with the cool menthol smell. I don't see ping pong balls. I see fusion fuel cells or habitation domes.
I agree with the" fusion fuel cells or habitation domes".

Now that is cool. One deep space vehicle coming up!
Lots of drag on those ballz but I'm betting she will fly with sufficient ballast.
I actually got the thing as it is to swing yesterday. Put a long pointy PNC with a bunch of clay(total NC and Clay=41Gs.)

Which end is the front?
:lol: Not sure.I have 3 different ways I could go with this build. I think the first will be just as is. I want to see/prove that my idea of finballs will work.

Ping-pong ball fins.......you've outdone yourself, my friend.
Lets see it fly before we uncork the champagne. Ya know, there are days I look around my rocket room and wounder what can I come up with for a different design. My last two,this one and the Satic-Storm I was trying to stay away from that "Plane Look".

very neat, no mater how she flies, it'll be a good rocket to "strut" around the launch field with.

Sorry couldn't help the pun I'm gonna go over there now.

Added some tanks,reducer and a BNC.
A good decal job would make this build tops.
Things just tacked together.Tanks not really lined up correctly. I can also still play around with the placement of the tanks on the BT-20.I like them forward for the weight.
Also,bottom line,it would not hurt the looks anywhoo if I was to add 3 small fins to help it fly straight.
As a matter of factoid,I had 3 Fliskit Preator booster fins on it. It looked cool. Workes out so 2 balls are between each fin.
Them fins are like 5-6". gave it a solar panel/solar winvane look. I liked it,the wifey wasnt so hot about it.

Oddisee7.JPG

Oddisee8.JPG

Oddisee9.jpg

Last edited:
Well whether it's stable or not she sure is a looker. Just needs the right futurific paint job.

Well, I got a little done.
Change things up a bit.
Made "saddles" for the "tanks" instead of the green CRs.
Played around with making an upper/forward section.
More pics an better info later.

2014 Oddiseea.jpg

2014 Oddiseeb.jpg

2014 Oddiseec.jpg

WOW. Just concerned the tanks/pods will make it unstable

Wow...just wow! even if it doesn't fly, it will look amazing hanging from the ceiling of your shop!
Thanks for the "WOWs".
I ve been digging around in my junk and found some real cool decal sheets from other birds that will really make this thing POP! One is from Fliskit.... USS Grissom

This thing keeps getting better all the time. Oh, and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moving along....

I have most of the "Big" work done. Still playing around with a final answer on the NC. After that, its mostly all the little details.
Being what it is,one must pigment/decal parts and pieces before putting the glue to it.
Im liking it. Ill get a final answer in me head and go that far and then let it sit while I mull over me next move.No hurry one this one.
Somewhere I would like to put some type of girder/bridge/walkway/iron work looking detail.

oddisee 001.jpg

oddisee 002.jpg

oddisee 003.jpg

oddisee 006.jpg

oddisee 008.jpg

oddisee 007.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool. I'm torn...I'd love to see how it flies but I'd hate to see you crash it.

Very cool design!
It reminds me of the space station conceptual drawings from the 1960s!

Looking forward to the flight results.

OK SD....I waited a long while to weigh in here because, it's wise to see what you have done before weighing in on what you are doing. I didn't have a clue where this might go, so now that I do, I have something to offer. In a very old thread I started called "DUDS-The ones that wouldn't fly"
Krusty posted this rocket.

Krusty's PP Fin Rocket.jpg

Looks like it should fly, eh? All of his drag was at the bottom too. Granted, you have more drag working for you than his, but you also have a great deal of drag going on further up the airframe. This is usually not great for stability. You have another really out of the box design going on here (which always gets my attention) but do you see a stability issue here? I love your creations Scotty, and this is no exception. But I do have to say that I smell a display model instead of a flyer.

So what's happening with the Oddisee? Enquiring minds want to know!
Not much. I pretty much know what Im doing from here on.....just have to do it. I have 2 other scratchers Ive also been playing with.

Fabulous design!!!!! Amazing. What a mind! :cheers:
Thanks

the hex ring and cluster of tanks remind me of the MOS from long ago (a 1958 Strombecker plastic kit).
Thats a cool bird (1958 Strom)

but do you see a stability issue here? I love your creations Scotty, and this is no exception. But I do have to say that I smell a display model instead of a flyer.[/QUOTE) Should prove to be interesting..Ah?

Back