Mylar sources

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjh1

Reaction score
Anyone have any sources for Mylar? I want to make some parachutes from it. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, HobbyTown, and all the office supply places I have checked don't have it.

If you have Paypal I'll send you some from Launch Pad kit's, I'm not going to use them. Just pay shipping.
They are 18" diameter. Is that big enough? I've got 5 and have all the fittings and lines to go with
them too. HELLO!
Send me a private message if you can use them.

JP

Last edited:
Dollar Tree for mylar wrapping paper and balloons.

Competition parachutes are made from 1/4 mil mylar. But 1/4 mil mylar is virtually unobtainable now and almost 4 times the cost it was several years ago (it used to be common component in audio speakers, but not so much anymore). Andy at Aerospace Specialty Products has thankfully found a new source but it is pretty expensive. Andy's competition parachute kits are the best there are, and I highly recommend them if you are looking for maximal strength with minimal weight.

More common sport mylar chutes (Balsa Machining, etc) are made from 1/2 mil. This is not so readily available in rolls, but Space Blankets are made from 1/2 mil so you can get it pretty cheaply in big sheets.

Streamers generally use 1 or 2 mil mylar, which is readily available from hydroponics supplies online.

Steve

you can get all kinds of mylar in sheets at just about any "Party Store". all kinds of colors usually in 5 sheet packs generally 1mil thickness just fine for sport flying. Can't recall the sheet size but more the large enough for 24" Flat Para-sheets cutting. Cheap too!

Survival Blankets work as well, Nathan from our club has used them in his MD efforts.

Back