Magnetic switch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thobin

Reaction score
So how do you wire one of these magnetic switches from Featherweight You run ground = negative and the In = positive. The the out = positive to the altimeter and I run another ground to the altimeter right or from the ground on the switch?

TA

This switch basically controls the '+' power to the altimeter. From the featherweight site:
"Just connect the battery to the + and Ground terminals, and connect the altimeter power to the output terminal."

So yes, the negative/ground is common between the altimeter and the switch, and the positive is serial, to the switch, and from the 'out' terminal on the switch to the '+' of the altimeter.

Thanks that's what I figured

TA

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I have another question I have the Featherweight magnetic switch and i'm hooking it up to a Eggtimer altimeter, the switch needs power so I will need to attach the switch between the battery and the Eggtimer. So can I just jumper the the switch connection so the power is always on, and turn the power on and off through the battery connection via the magnetic switch?

TA

One needs to remember that the F.W. magnetic switch "does" draw some microvolts while "turned off". I connect mine up the day before, day of or out at the launchsite. If I expect to
"save" the battery for another flight for another time, I disconnect one of the wires to the magnetic switch and put masking tape over the bare wire.
I DO NOT recommend one let the switch sit connected even in the "off" mode for weeks at a time and then expect to have a "full" battery for a launch. You might end up with enough juice
on the pad and then have the thing crumb out at the time of deployment. Kurt

Back