second question concerning firestar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
I am planing to build a three G rocket, about 6 1/2 feet long. My main concern is how to ignite the composites.
I recently posted about if i could dip Q2G2s in the FireStar pyrogen mix and use them to ignite three G40Ws. I got a answer about igniters; just use firstfires. However; On one of the posts someone said that I should probably try to ignite
a easier to ignite propellant than white lightning. They suggested blue thunder or black max. The Problem? Aerotech only makes the G80 in blue thunder; the G80T's trust curve is such that once ignited it reaches a peak of 24 lbs in no
time at all. As for black max, I only want to use blue thunder or white lighting to get a more 'realistic' launch.

Would this idea work to overcome the sometimes problematic character of white lightning:
insert firstfire igniter, then just pouring the liquid FireStar into the nozzle and down the propellant core. Then I have a engine FILLED with ignition materiel! (would the engine casing rupture?)

Thanks you for your time!
Julian
NAR 95955

(its possible that the difficulty of white lightning is being over rated by me.)

I am planing to build a three G rocket, about 6 1/2 feet long. My main concern is how to ignite the composites.
I recently posted about if i could dip Q2G2s in the FireStar pyrogen mix and use them to ignite three G40Ws. I got a answer about igniters; just use firstfires. However; On one of the posts someone said that I should probably try to ignite
a easier to ignite propellant than white lightning. They suggested blue thunder or black max. The Problem? Aerotech only makes the G80 in blue thunder; the G80T's trust curve is such that once ignited it reaches a peak of 24 lbs in no
time at all. As for black max, I only want to use blue thunder or white lighting to get a more 'realistic' launch.

Would this idea work to overcome the sometimes problematic character of white lightning:
insert firstfire igniter, then just pouring the liquid FireStar into the nozzle and down the propellant core. Then I have a engine FILLED with ignition materiel! (would the engine casing rupture?)

Thanks you for your time!
Julian
NAR 95955

(its possible that the difficulty of white lightning is being over rated by me.)

Just....no. Don't pour anything into the nozzle of the motor.

If you're worried about the instant get-up-and-go of Blue Thunder, do take note that by using beefier igniters in White Lightning or Black Max you will get a similar effect. In other words, give up on a "realistic" slow launch, if you're clustering small motors.

Back