Rolling my own

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmacklin

Reaction score
It's been too cold and nasty to do much woodwork in my workshop so I've been repairing old rockets. As I do mostly scratch builds, often from non-rocketry parts, I find myself looking for ways to make what I need. Today, I was looking for a way to house a 29 mm motor mount into a 1 1/2" (38 mm) i.d. mailing tube. Cutting conventional centering rings from plywood using hand tools would be an exercise in futility, so I borrowed from my pyro background and settled on making a convolute wound paper tube which will ultimately be cut into short slivers forming centering rings.

I started with a section of standard LOC 29 mm motor mount tubing about 14 inches long. To this I made a smooth wrap of Reynolds wax paper about 1.5 times the circumference and secured it with several short pieces of Scotch Magic Mending tape, making a bond breaker for any glue that might squeeze out. Next I cut pieces of red rosin paper into sections 8 inches wide by 18 inches long and began gluing and wrapping these around my "mandrel". The glue is nothing more than good old Elmer's White glue spread with one of those small, flat spreaders that comes with the Bondo Auto Body filler kits. The trick is to spread the glue in a thin film and roll the paper upon itself in quick motion before the water in the glue has time to swell and wrinkle the paper. It's an acquired skill, trust me!

In order to make up the difference in diameters between the outside of the motor mount (1.22 in.) and the inside of the body tube (1.50 in.) required a wall thickness of 0.14 inches (or 9/64 of an inch). I ended up wrapping 4 - 18 inch pieces of red rosin paper, 6 feet, to accomplish this task. Very therapeutic I might add. :grin:

I can post some pictures if any one is interested?

Last edited:
It's been too cold and nasty to do much woodwork in my workshop so I've been repairing old rockets. As I do mostly scratch builds, often from non-rocketry parts, I find myself looking for ways to make what I need. Today, I was looking for a way to house a 29 mm motor mount into a 1 1/2" (38 mm) i.d. mailing tube. Cutting conventional centering rings from plywood using hand tools would be an exercise in futility, so I borrowed from my pyro background and settled on making a convolute wound paper tube which will ultimately be cut into short slivers forming centering rings.

I started with a section of standard LOC 29 mm motor mount tubing about 14 inches long. To this I made a smooth wrap of Reynolds wax paper about 1.5 times the circumference and secured it with several short pieces of Scotch Magic Mending tape, making a bond breaker for any glue that might squeeze out. Next I cut pieces of red rosin paper into sections 8 inches wide by 18 inches long and began gluing and wrapping these around my "mandrel". The glue is nothing more than good old Elmer's White glue spread with one of those small, flat spreaders that comes with the Bondo Auto Body filler kits. The trick is to spread the glue in a thin film and roll the paper upon itself in quick motion before the water in the glue has time to swell and wrinkle the paper. It's an acquired skill, trust me!

In order to make up the difference in diameters between the outside of the motor mount (1.22 in.) and the inside of the body tube (1.50 in.) required a wall thickness of 0.14 inches (or 9/64 of an inch). I ended up wrapping 4 - 18 inch pieces of red rosin paper, 6 feet, to accomplish this task. Very therapeutic I might add. :grin:

I can post some pictures if any one is interested?
Pictures are a good thing.
I rolled me own,never did build anything out of the tube I made. Just felt like giving it a shot (rolling me own)https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?26229-First-Scratch-built-spiral-BT&highlight=tube

Allrighty then. I'll take and post some pics after dinner! :cyclops:

Damn , Ted, that's cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

OK kids, dinner (Stouffer' Salisbury Steak) was edible. We'll survive.

Here's some pics of the semi-finished results and some of the materials I used.

The first photo shows a spent G80 (filled with sand to equal hot weight) in a 29 mm LOC motor mount tube in the rolled tube I made earlier today and inserted into the 1 1/2" ID air frame in progress.

The second photo shows, left to right, 1) a 1" ID motor tube from a few years back, 2) a 1 1/8" ID motor tube made with kraft paper and West Epoxy, 3) today's tube build, 4) the 29 mm LOC tube I used as a mandrel (sans the wax paper) and 5) the spent G80)

The third photo shows some of the supplies I used, not including the butcher paper I put down on the table top.

The fourth photo is an end on view clasped in my giant left paw.

This tube will set on the stainless steel rack for several days while the glue hardens. It will then be taken out to my shop (if it ever gets about 32 F!) where I will trim the ends with my power miter saw. The ends are always a bit ragged but I should end up with a usable piece roughly 6" long. (She said that was long enough.) The last step will be to cut the finished piece into short (1/4") sections to be used as centering rings.

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Good to see that fine fin mount unit as well. My signed copy of plans is burning a hole in the workbench... Sometime I will build it.
-Ken

Nice to hear from you! I hope to see your jig materialize sometime too. I find that the bigger units are much easier to fabricate and assemble than the original size so if you are building mid-power and up you may find that up scaling is the way to go.

In picture three I see the key ingredient in most of my construction projects (rocketry related): The Reynolds waxed paper.

I had to go to two different Walmarts to find some last week when I ran out. Bought two rolls because, well...you just never know.

Nice project.

On checking the freshly rolled tube for dryness I decided to trim the ragged ends off which left a piece 7.25" long. Putting the mic to it indicated an internal diameter varying from about 1.218 to 1.224 inches and an outside diameter varying from 1.495 to 1.504 inches. The total weight came in at 49 grams which means each 1/4" ring will weigh about 1.69 grams. Not bad for primitive technology.

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

Here is the finished result showing the tube and four 1/4" rings cut from it. The four rings weighed 7 grams on my digital postal scale. I had started building the motor mount by gluing "centering fins" on it. While they are now superfluous their weigh in negligible so I'll leave them as is. The scrap piece of a tape measure will be used as an anchorage to prevent motor ejection after it is cut to length and epoxied to the motor mount. (Credit to my son Charlie who came up with this idea while he was at Texas Tech in Lubbock.)

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

Back