Do you guys know MotorSim?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while and I see no way for data to be input. No instructions which is par for the course with this type of software. Is the author using
a strand burner as opposed to a pressure tapped test motor and load cell?
Do yourself a favor. Read up on the subject, see if you can find a mentor and then purchase a license for BurnSim 3.0. It's pretty refined, been around a long time
and one can input the burn coefficient, burn exponent and other particulars to actually do a simulation run. https://burnsim.com/default.asp. Ya find a mentor for one on one and
they'll probably give you some tried and true mixes. Or you can travel to a mixing course. They're out there.
Ya get what you pay for. Rocksim does ok for subsonic stuff well, Open Rocket is free and I expect somebody has it working. I couldn't get it to agree anywhere near to
what Rocksim was predicting. RAS Aero is the thing the speed mavens swear by. Kurt

Last edited:
Seems like a very hard program to use as there are no instructions.

The fuel choices are also Very Limited - KNDX / KNER / KNSU / KNSB - There is no option for AP based propellants

I have to agree with Ksaves2 - BurnSim 3.0 is the way to go !

Greg has put a lot of work in to the program and is more than willing to work with people to fix any bugs that come up.

I have to also support finding a mentor - the 3 - 5 people that I can consult with regarding formulas and mixing have proven to be invaluable!

Thanks for all. Ill try to try BurnSim.
MotorSim wasnt hard for me to start using actually, there arent that many parameter to change. I did have problems exporting a .eng file as some fields were missing, but that should go another place. Thanks for the help!!

Back