Best Bang for the Buck - G77, G78 or G79?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G

Reaction score
For those of you with experience using the Aerotech G77R, G78G and G79W single use motors, which one do you like the best and why? Is it the performance, burn length, sound, sight or something else? As they all retail for the same price and are so close in designation, is one more popular than the others? Which rocket models are these best for?

For those of you with experience using the Aerotech G77R, G78G and G79W single use motors, which one do you like the best and why? Is it the performance, burn length, sound, sight or something else? As they all retail for the same price and are so close in designation, is one more popular than the others? Which rocket models are these best for?

I like the white best cause it looks so dang cool. Green I've noticed produces mach diamonds if you can capture it on your camera which are way cool as well. Red is always fun too. Let's look at the data:

G77:
https://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=1324

G78
https://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=1326

G79
https://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=1323

They're all so similar I think it is going to boil down to personal preference...

I'm a sucker for redline, so far all 2 of my HPR flights have been red, so I've gotta say G77R. That said, White Lightning is beauiful, and I love the relatively long burntime it gives. However, the G76G has a crazy Kick off the pad, and the green flame (especially if viewed from a relatively close perspective) can be an awesome novelty. However, it looks like the G77R has a nice progressive thrustcurve- that gets my vote! Regardless, fly what makes you happy!

I'm a sucker for redline, so far all 2 of my HPR flights have been red, so I've gotta say G77R. That said, White Lightning is beauiful, and I love the relatively long burntime it gives. However, the G76G has a crazy Kick off the pad, and the green flame (especially if viewed from a relatively close perspective) can be an awesome novelty. However, it looks like the G77R has a nice progressive thrustcurve- that gets my vote! Regardless, fly what makes you happy!

Agreed, I love flying the Mojave Green G76G reload . Have flown mostly in daughters and friends Crayon rockets.

Always get a great flight and very quick off the pad . I liked it so much have done the H250G (non hazmat! :) and the I245G also .

Kenny

I don't know but I've been told White Lightning is the most expensive propellant of the lot to make. But in the end it comes down to what the Chicks like. A drag race of all three colors at Christmas time is sure to be a hit!

Do like when you are asked if you want pie, cake, or cookies --- one of each!

I recently bought the EconoJets in all of their flavors --- White Lightning, Redline, Blue Thunder, and Blackjack. Then don't make it in Green Mojave, apparently. I wanted to try them all and see which ones I like best. I won't have a chance to actually try them for awhile.

Actually it would take years of academy training and vast amounts of research and experimentation to get an answer. One must ask what the characteristics of the motor are, what are the characteristics of the rocket and what are the flight characteristics desired. Then numerous advanced calculations must be made as to launch conditions, political and regulatory constraints, and overall artistic impression on the crowd watching the event.

Pah! Enough political whaffling and analysis paralysis. G79W is the winner, for fire, noise and smoke ! I'd say a rocket in the 1 to 2 lbs. range would get a nice ride from any of these. Any of the Aerotech or Estes PS II's would work. TB and Daddy had the right answers: one of each and see which one makes the girls hollar more. Of course, if you insist on analytics, pick the curve you like best from DAllen's post and go with that. I'm curious, did you skip the mid-range motors and go right to high power ?

But the G78 is a hot motor and makes the best hand warmer on the long recovery walk back from the landing spot during a winter launch. And nothin' beats sayin' looky there darlin' -dat feller is a launchin' one of dem Green Mojaves!

Did a rapid progression from SU Es through 29/40-120 reloads to HP. But the bulk of every day simple, quick and fun launches for me will be mid power using single use motors. So before I invested in a stockpile of G motors I thought I'd see what folks thought of them.

Lets add some color to the discussion-
6233017906_0e00c723f5_z.jpg
10393442724_6cd4046d2e_z.jpg
9438509675_95e7fd6ef4_z.jpg

Lets add some color to the discussion-
6233017906_0e00c723f5_z.jpg
10393442724_6cd4046d2e_z.jpg
9438509675_95e7fd6ef4_z.jpg

Niiice.

Although: I maintain that Redline is always misrepresented by photos, and Mojave Green is less cool in person until you get to the Big'un's.

Niiice.

Although: I maintain that Redline is always misrepresented by photos, and Mojave Green is less cool in person until you get to the Big'un's.

Gotta agree with that.
The pics I have of red line don't do it justice.
On the contrary, the pics I have seen of MG look better than what I've seen, at least from our viewing spot at launches.

Nate

I have very very few good photos of redline. Its a challenge to get. I love G76's, but they're fairly quiet. White lighting is a lightshow when the sun starts setting.

heres a good red... but its an L (look close, theres mach diamonds)
10119602045_52b9d4407d_c.jpg

Last edited:
I like the G-76. It only takes a few minutes to clean a case. you save on the hazmat and the reload from wildmans is only
10-dollars. So for two single use motors you could get the 3-reloads. mean green.jpg
Got that little rocket moving quick. https://vimeo.com/87802837

Certainly all great G class motors. DizWolf's fantastic photo montage in post #12 shows their unique visual qualities very well. I still like my White Lightning choice as first among equals. Lots of valid points brought up for each motor by all the posters. Thanks for sharing David. Whadaya think Mr. G ?

Last edited:
Ok, ok, ok...you guys have convincing reasons to not be shy and instead expect to shoot the moon by trying each and every one (even the ones I didn't mention). I kinda felt is was going to head that direction but it is wonderful to have a little "color" commentary to go with the decision making.

There is nothing better than having representative pictures and vids to highlight the fact that shooting these things off is a hoot and those who enjoy it, as you all clearly do, each have their own experience and perspective to bring to the discussion.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
oh yea...video?
[video=youtube_share;gZ_vDX_4TEU]https://youtu.be/gZ_vDX_4TEU[/video]

I recently bought the EconoJets in all of their flavors --- White Lightning, Redline, Blue Thunder, and Blackjack. Then don't make it in Green Mojave, apparently. I wanted to try them all and see which ones I like best. I won't have a chance to actually try them for awhile.

I got the F-27 Redline and if the G-77 is anything like it then I absolutely must get one soon. I took a video and it was the only motor I've ever flown that I could hear it build up to pressure.

Latest posts

Back