POLL, What type of launch pad and controller do you use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom launch tower (supported 1010 rail) I built myself out of lighting trusses and a hand cart, but the plans were "borrowed" from a friend of mine. :)

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

This pad has handled a 55 lb.+ rocket flying on an N motor twice now, and didn't even break a sweat.

I've built several wired controllers now, such as this one:
IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

But this past year, I switched to a single-pad Wilson F/X system which was a HUGE improvement! Here is my pad end setup.
IMG_3942.jpg

Then at the controller end (not shown here) is another battery, wireless transmitter, and of course the LCU-1 unit itself.
I always bring my wired units with me to launches as a backup, but since upgrading to a wireless they haven't seen much use these days. (As Brad could tell you, why would you need a backup system when using Wilson F/X, anyways?) :wink:

Here's the whole shebang in action:
IMG_3919.jpg

I worked with Royce Frankum to design these, which he is selling commercially. Our club has three of them now. They can handle our heavy supported rails and a pretty good sized rocket.

We have a custom-designed wireless controller that can handle 8 pad banks (except we don't have that many pad units).

Jim

IMG_0503.jpg

I have 3 PPII, 1 PSII, and I'm mid build on dual PVC pads that transform into a 5 rod LPR pad.

I have 4 electron beams.

I'm wanting to build a new system capable of launching 5 LPRs that is LCO controlled, but flyer armed. I think it'll go far with the kids.

Currently build my own custom controller. Simple relay controlled with a lipo at the pad side.

Pad wise I use a Triton Multi-Stand MSA200 but will be having a ply and fiddle with it. I use a 2m rail as well

I worked with Royce Frankum to design these, which he is selling commercially. Our club has three of them now. They can handle our heavy supported rails and a pretty good sized rocket.

We have a custom-designed wireless controller that can handle 8 pad banks (except we don't have that many pad units).

Jim

Royce now has a website to market these and other rocketry goodies!
https://www.frankumperformance.com

Build it. I have fabricated a lot of ground support stuff through the years. But I still keep coming back to my Centuri LIA-100 I purchased with my dad. Here is my latest clone. Nothing beats a classy park pad. Grab and go with the kids.

IMG_0863.jpgIMG_0792.jpg

Back