POLL, What type of launch pad and controller do you use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibuildstuff4u

Reaction score
Hello, just a quick poll here. I'm curious to know what brand of controller and launch pad you use. Just wondering if a lot of people build their own or buy them. If you bought it ready to use, please list the model.

Thanks for taking the time to post a quick comment,
Dale P.

I cloned a Centuri LIA-77 for my LPR and a upscaled tilt-a-pad for mid power. Replicated a Centuri EP-612 controller to get them going.

I build mine, wireless with 8 ports

Got any drawings, photos, or build examples of this? Sounds like an interesting project.

I use an Aerotech Mantis launch pad I got for Christmas one year and a Mr Pro Max 12v/9v controller from E-bay that works great.

Last edited:
I used an estes controller untill I built my own, same with launch pad.

I've got the controller from an old Estes BigFoot that needs to be reconnected to a battery and clips. I've got an Estes controller that uses 9V batteries. One from Sky that uses 4 AA or AAA batteries (haven't opened it yet), and an old homemade one that was modeled on a weapons select panel for an aircraft.

Launch pads include a (I presume for the moment) misplaced BigFoot, and PPII (yellow w/o lightning bolt). My active pads include a pair of PPE's (modified to prevent heat damage), and the Sky knockoff of a yellow PPII.

LPR and smaller MPR - I use a standard Estes pad/rod, and an Aerotech Interlock controller (hooked up to my van battery for power).

HPR and larger MPR - I use a home built pad based around a 1010 rail - tripod from an old construction work light, blast shield cut out from an old satellite dish, and various scrap metal and hardware I had laying around. I couple that with a Nova controller from Quickburst, with power coming from an 12V emergency jump-start unit I bought cheap at Harbor Freight.

I also have a home-built tower in the works that I'll be using for some minimum diameter rockets this year.

s6

I use an interesting Estes Electron Beam controller.
It was a hand wired model to test out the new LED bulbs before they replaced the old style bulbs.
The LED is so much brighter than the old bulb continuity light.

New Electro Launch 1_WEB.jpg

I also use a pre-production BMS Mighty D.
Very smart design and will launch any and everything.

My launcher is a camera tripod with a prototype Adeptor launch rod holder.
I designed the Adeptor so I wouldn't be over bending my knees and getting my jeans wet on the grass.
(That and I hate launcher legs with lightning bolts on them.)

I have a Jaw Stand pad and an AT launch controller, soon to be replaced with a relay controller box. And many Estes pads and controllers.

TA

Scratch built my launchpad from oilfield materials and built the launch controller from heavy duty truck electrical parts. She'll put 500 amps thru a copperhead in 0.05 seconds.

Maybe that's why I never had a copperhead fail to ignite a motor. :horse::headbang:

Been reduced to a BlackSky rail and home-brewed six pad box powered by rechargeable UPS batteries that last all day on LPR/MPR (*sob*) No rods for the last decade.
Use a Pratt Go box for ground testing.

My club uses the world-famous CATOmatic, which ran half LDRS 31 & NERRF as well as every CATO launch. Ask nice and Brad (our electronics guru) might even help your club.....
It's reliable, fairly inexpensive. modular and expandable to a the point where it could run any launch all by itself.

Since the mid 1960's I've almost always built and Used my own Custom Launch Pads and Controllers. I have over the years converted many Estes, Centuri & Quest Hand-held controllers for 12v external power supply use. and do currently have a converted Quest pistol Grip controller used for Quick "test flying" with a converted Digital camera Tripod launcher base.

I've always held the notion that our ground support launch equipment should be at Least as interesting as the models we fly since it is this equipment standing alone on the launch field representing our hobby while we are out retrieving our models:)

Std 12in Tripod-d_3pic Page_12-02-09.jpg

Rebuild-r1_Completed AFTER Pic(148hrs)_07-23-13.jpg

Eq02-a1_Stand-Alone_1-Pad-Launch-system on Camera Tripod_07-07-01.jpg

Last edited:
Ours is custom all the way~

1010 rail launcher, custom made to our specs

Launcher800.jpg

That folds over for easy loading

LauncherXPRS2012.jpg

The electronics are custom made, too. Not shown is a roll of 1000' feet of Cat5 cable.

WholeSystem.jpg

Pops a 40 Amp fuse instantly, has never failed to start a motor.

All the best, James

I have two Estes PortaPads for LPR, an Estes PortaPad E for D & E impulse, and a homemade PVC pad for F & G MPR. For controllers I have two Estes 15', one Estes 30', and may end up getting the Estes Pro Series controller.

I have a Mantis and Jawstand with 1010 rail for my pads and just an Interlock controller.

100_0103.jpgI use an Impulse Aerospace Quad Pod, with a Black Sky 1010 rail or Stainless steel rods and a Pratt Hobbies Surefire II.

Attachments

• 100_0101.jpg
    100_0101.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 100_0102.jpg
    100_0102.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Ours is custom all the way~

The electronics are custom made, too. Not shown is a roll of 1000' feet of Cat5 cable.

WholeSystem.jpg

Pops a 40 Amp fuse instantly, has never failed to start a motor.

All the best, James

Very Nice - I would like to see the schematics for the controller - Willing to share?

I have a couple of pads and controllers for the LPR and MPR Stuff. Estes Electron Bean pad and controller and a Mantis pad. I have a modified Interlock Controller that can light A's - M's.

For the HPR stuff I have a 3/8" rod, a custom 1010 rail and a 1515 rail.

If you toss in all of the members of AZRT we can launch anything from MicroMaxx through a 400# Monster on P motor going off either a 20 foot long 1515 tower or a 20' Uni Strut tower.

Hello, just a quick poll here. I'm curious to know what brand of controller and launch pad you use. Just wondering if a lot of people build their own or buy them. If you bought it ready to use, please list the model.
Hi, Dale,

I rolled my own pad. Some pics are posted here . It's good up thru mid-power.

For a controller, I use some old handsets, two from Estes, and one from Quest. They've had some modifications including 12V bulbs and longer, heavier wires. The big change was using a 12V gel cell. There are some pics here .

HTH.
Doug

I've always held the notion that our ground support launch equipment should be at Least as interesting as the models we fly...
No doubt, building a nice pad, and building or upgrading a controller, are projects that can be every bit as interesting and satisfying as building and flying a rocket.

Doug

I have a Mantis (bought on clearance at a LHS) an Estes Electron Beam and an Estes E controller. Also have a semi retired Estes pad (black with lightning bolts).

My new pad is a Jawstand. A keyless chuck holds different rod sizes, and I built the blast plate out of a pizza pan. I tried it out for the first time a week ago, and it works great! I also have an Estes Porta Pad E (not recommended) and several of the LPR Estes Porta Pads in both lighting bolt and the older style.

For controllers, I have an Estes E Controler in which I replaced the bulb with an LED so it can safely do a continuity check on Q2G2 igniters without firing them. Works well. And I have various other LPR Estes controllers. An upgraded controller will probably be in the cards someday.

I have a couple of pads and controllers for the LPR and MPR Stuff. Estes Electron Bean pad and controller and a Mantis pad. I have a modified Interlock Controller that can light A's - M's.

For the HPR stuff I have a 3/8" rod, a custom 1010 rail and a 1515 rail.

If you toss in all of the members of AZRT we can launch anything from MicroMaxx through a 400# Monster on P motor going off either a 20 foot long 1515 tower or a 20' Uni Strut tower.

rdbones
Could you post pics and/or some info on construction of the 20' rail? I like low and slow and want to build a 20' but probably 10/10 maybe 15/15 , not for huge rockets but low thrust, long burn motors.
Thanks

If I'm not using the club's gear and the nephews are with me, we tend to just bring out the Estes Porta Pads with 4' spring steal 1/8" rods. The kids are too short for anything taller. As for the launch controller, I like the little Quest 9v grip controller. It has light and sound for continuity.

In the rocketry heap, I have many Estes controllers, an AT Mantis pad and Interlock controller as well as a couple of homemade projects in various stages.

Jerome :)

A plastic sawhorse with a 2x4 clamped to the top. Drilled 4@1/8, 2@3/16 and 1@1/4 inch holes in the 2x4. One of these days (yeah, right) I will make adjustable rod holders to mount on the 2x4.

I use Estes Command Controller with 2 batteries and camera tripod with drill chuck for launch pad. My back up is Estes Electrobeam controller with led and Estes Porta-Pad. I mainly fly LPR and MPR.

Latest posts

Back