Max Q Aerospace 54mm fin cans!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binder Design

Reaction score
Coming soon to the web site! Here's a sneak peek of the prototype. Clipped delta fin option coming for all sizes.
54mm fincan.jpg
www.binderdesign.com

NIICCEEE I want one any idea approximate price that L-3000 looks alot better then my KBA - L2300

VERY happy about the surface finish on that tube section! How do you do that?

Are those sheet metal screws??? if so, why?

No, after all the work that goes into these we would not use sheet metal screws and mess them all up. They use Torx screws and PEM nut inserts. They come with hardware kits that include the Torx driver bit, Loc-tite, allen wrench, and all of the assembly hardware.

On the finishes, that is just one option of many. It is applied by CNC. Feel free to check out all of the finish options at www.binderdesign.com

No, after all the work that goes into these we would not use sheet metal screws and mess them all up. They use Torx screws and PEM nut inserts. They come with hardware kits that include the Torx driver bit, Loc-tite, allen wrench, and all of the assembly hardware.

On the finishes, that is just one option of many. It is applied by CNC. Feel free to check out all of the finish options at www.binderdesign.com

Very nice. Sorry for the novice question. How does the fin can attach to the min. diam. tube?

Very nice. Sorry for the novice question. How does the fin can attach to the min. diam. tube?

It is assembled loosely, slid onto the airframe, then screws are tightened clamping it on. There are also set screws provided to further secure it. It clamps very tightly.

It is assembled loosely, slid onto the airframe, then screws are tightened clamping it on. There are also set screws provided to further secure it. It clamps very tightly.

Thanks. I am not there yet, but I do think ahead. This kind of awesome cool stuff let's us think about what if.

The spammer Jameswilly has been flagged already

[EDIT] and the offending spam post has been removed [/EDIT]

Last edited:

Ohh, so the 'tube' isn't a seamless tube, therefore it needs screws to pull itself together at the seams? that way, it can be tightened onto an airframe?

Hex nuts > sheet metal screws, but it still looks pretty draggy to me... but then again my design can't be easily disassembled and re-mounted. Different design goals.

Ohh, so the 'tube' isn't a seamless tube, therefore it needs screws to pull itself together at the seams? that way, it can be tightened onto an airframe?

Hex nuts > sheet metal screws, but it still looks pretty draggy to me... but then again my design can't be easily disassembled and re-mounted. Different design goals.

No, they are not hex nuts! I really need to put together an FAQ. They are PEM nut thread inserts. Regarding drag, altitude numbers have been surprisingly high with these bolt on fin cans. My primary goal was not ease of assembly, rather the ability to withstand high G loading and high mach numbers. Then ease of manufacturing at an affordable price point. There are many a number of exotic solutions to making a fin can, ie fully machined from billet, or welded ground and polished for example. Most people would balk at the price of those options due to amortizing the cost of the machinery used to produce them and the sheer amount of labor.

This bolt together concept was originally marketed by Hawk Mountain in very limited numbers and options before they stopped production, so I must give credit to them for the concept. It was only after they stopped making them that customers contacted me to further evolve the design. I'm assuming they stopped producing them because of the labor involved. They take some time to produce.

Are you currently marketing your design? Sounds like just the ticket. I'd like to see it! Do you have a thread we can go to?

Last edited:
Mike, can the 54 mm be installed directly on the Loki 54-4400? (motor is the airframe).

:)

Mike, can the 54 mm be installed directly on the Loki 54-4400? (motor is the airframe).

You knew that question was coming ;-)

Are you currently marketing your design? Sounds like just the ticket. I'd like to see it! Do you have a thread we can go to?

Haha, no, that's not what I meant or was trying to imply. I machined a fincan for my and CarVac's N5800 attempt made from three separate fins and a tube; the tube ID was bored out to match the motor tube, the tube OD was profiled into a thin (~0.05" ) tube with quarter-inch 'fillets' around the fin slots, and then the fins were chilled and slipped into the slots making an interference fit. A few steel dowel pins were tapped into reamed holes through the fin roots to make it extra secure. It was nice because the pin heads were ground off flush, so there were no sources of parasitic drag. It was crappy because it took many, many hours to profile the fin can tube OD. With Wire EDM, I think I could make it economical to produce (manufacturing costs down to a hundred dollars or so per can if making a few hundred), but how many rocket shops have access to that level of manufacturing tech? none.

There are pictures and info buried in the original build thread at https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41463-Bare-Necessities-N5800-C-Star-Flying-Case

Nice build thread! Dr. Rocket had a similar fin dado system 15 years ago. It was real nice and included anodize and was relatively affordable. He only sold a handful. Manufacturing several hundred per run of the same size might be overestimating the market just a bit. It is a niche product, in a niche hobby. Enough to keep one guy tinkering in the shop part time.

You knew that question was coming ;-)

Any of these can be sized to fit casings, you just have to let me know and I'll do up the CAD/CAM files. The 54mm is the first on my to do list because I want one for my 54mm M casing. I can even notch the root edge of the fin that extends past the band so that the upper airframe can slide past them and stop against the top of the band. Have it your way at Max Q! :)

I received my 54mm set a few days ago - very, very nice. Thanks Mike.

I pulled out the Blackhawk 54 kit from Black Saturday, and here's how it looks. I need to pull together the rest of the pieces and run some sims...

102_0589_zpse138619a.jpg

I received my 54mm set a few days ago - very, very nice. Thanks Mike.

I pulled out the Blackhawk 54 kit from Black Saturday, and here's how it looks. I need to pull together the rest of the pieces and run some sims...

102_0589_zpse138619a.jpg

That's very nice Bill. Keep us posted on how it flies. I can see doing something like that after I get my current builds flown.

Back