Help with RocketPoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stable1

Reaction score
I'm having a devil of a time using RocketPoxy for my fillets. I always get a bunch of bubbles in the fillet. I can pop them using a heat gun but the resulting crater won't fill in. By the time I'm done trying to smooth things out I ended up with a mess.

Any tricks I'm missing - I've got four more fillets to pour!!

Are you pulling an alcohol dipped PVC pipe or tongue depressor across the fillet? When?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have had very good luck with the rocketpoxy. I dip tongue depressor in alcohol and pull down fillet one time before pulling the tape. I have never had a bubbles in the fillets.

I have had very good luck with the rocketpoxy. I dip tongue depressor in alcohol and pull down fillet one time before pulling the tape. I have never had a bubbles in the fillets.

I agree. I do this after about 10 min. I believe this action both compacts the Rocketpoxy in the fillet and pulls off any bubbles that may be rising to the top.

Also, I believe it is best to wait a bit before placing the Rocketpoxy in the fillets. After mixing, I usually wait 10 to 15 min. and then apply.

Are you putting it down right after you mix it? It's best to let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes after mixing, most of the bubbles dissipate in that time.

Are you putting it down right after you mix it? It's best to let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes after mixing, most of the bubbles dissipate in that time.
I usually wait for 10 - 15 minutes before putting down the fillets and use an alcohol dipped copper fitting to pull it. My workshop (basement) is rather cool (cold) this time of year and maybe the Rocketpoxy is too stiff to let the bubbles migrate to the surface until spread thin in the fillet.

Do you think the bubbles are being introduced in the mixing process or are being trapped under the rocketpoxy when you first place in on the joint?

I usually try to dribble a thin line of RP all the way along the fillet right in the joint to avoid the latter before pulling the bulk of it along the joint.

I always wait the customary 12-15 minutes [temperature dependent] before applying to V-joint. By then the epoxy is thick enough to scoop and smear into place, then pull fillet clean. In my case I use a 1-2inch section pf PVC pipe dipped in denatured alcohol.

I did not wait my first attempt, & also suffered the dreaded "double bubble trouble".

That's when I decided to read the supplied directions.......LOL

In case you did not get any, check here G-5000 https://www.glenmarc.com/adhesives.htm

Picture 8.png

Picture 9.png

Back