NYPOWER 18 2014

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimgoggins

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

The NYPOWER 18 2014 site is up and running. Go to www.nypower2014.org. The tee shirts this year are awesome. Pre-order so you can ensure you get one. They'll be going fast.
This year as you know, the event will be held May 24, 25, and 26 instead of in July. No crops, soft green grass and a 9,000 foot ceiling! Doesn't get any better than this.
I hope to see you there. If you are really feeling the love, please feel free to sign up for range duty. Start booking your hotel rooms and get those rockets built or repaired so you have lots to fly. Keep visiting the NYPOWER web site as we will be posting the upcoming NYPOWER contests. For those that have never attended, we launch anything from Micro Max to big M motors. There will be some spectacular BIG L3 class rockets going up this year. You really don't want to miss these. As I understand it, one rocket is so big you can crawl through the main body tube.. So, enough enticements. Sign up now!

Jim "The Shredder"
TRA 12701 L3
NAR 89107 l3

Last edited:
The NYPOWER launch has been one of the best organized in the northeast and I plan to attend again this year. Being held on Memorial Day Weekend is a great idea. The club's equipment is really first class and there have been vendors on site past years.
Will see you in Geneseo New York with all from the MARS club.

..and we will have a new food vendor.. the "3 Legged Pig", in addition to our usual rocket vendors (like Ken from Performance Hobbies)
We will have water available, so come with your rockets, sunsceen, sunglasses, and your appetite.
The rest of your needs can be met/acquired on-site, which leaves more room in your cars for rockets! :D
See you there,
Greg

I've got torches. (for real) The HAG helps us out after their airshow when we held NYPOWER in late July. BEFORE the airshow, their volunteer organization is too busy trying to get ready to go. We figured the trade off between just planted crops and a grumpy Al Gloer was worth the risk.

Not much of a risk really - Al is easily mollified. Good food, and a drag race or two, and he'll be quiet :)

Not a problem Karen. We know how to handle rowdy crowds with torches.

I seem to recall something about zip tying their arms holding the torches under the nozzles of M1440s at our away pads.... Faster than dipping igniters.... :wink:

Dragrace....... how about n2000 Fatboy drag race.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Crap! I built my fatboy with a 75 mm motor mount...should have gone 98.

Phew, for a moment when you said fatboy race, given we were talking about our food vendor something else immediately came to mind... ;):lol:

Well we were discussing lofting Rich Pitzeruse on an N2801 Skid as the do-all, end-all Knob Lob at URRF. If someone has an additional gunny sack, I'm OK with doing it twice.

Crap! I built my fatboy with a 75 mm motor mount...should have gone 98.

You would need a much bigger hammer.

Well we were discussing lofting Rich Pitzeruse on an N2801 Skid as the do-all, end-all Knob Lob at URRF. If someone has an additional gunny sack, I'm OK with doing it twice.

I have a few gallons of peroxide left over from LDRS I bet we could arrange for a the rocket belt at URRF :eyepop:

I'm in! Hotels booked and registration complete. Now to put together my flight plans.

Me just booked too at the Palatial Crest Hill Motel and Spa in Avon.

I just registered, we will be making the trip from Boston. Quick question to anyone from MARS (! ;-). Do I need to register my wife as well? She will be tagging along but not flying, and may wind up dropping me and our son off at the field and then visiting local attractions. But if she is on the field, do I need to register her?

If she's not flying, no need. Anyone is welcome to attend, watch, spectate, buy a bunch of stuff from the vendors..... name tags not required.

N

Great, thanks Nat. Who knows, maybe she'll finally see the light and want to fly something - that'll be worth another reg fee!

Matt, the trick is to get her to relax, enjoy lunch from the 3 Legged Pig with some friendly rocket folks, and watch all the successful flights going on around her.
It's basic psychology to associate good food, with good people, and lots of rockets... :wink:

Hah, that just might work! She's been to launches before (was at my L1 cert launch, for example), so this just might be the one that pulls her over from the Dark Side and gets her to prep and fly a rocket.

Les, I believe you are going to be afflicted with a sudden case of the circulating influenza B strain on May 23rd, that will take about 96 hours for you to totally recover from.
We have some great medical (nursing) care available at NYPOWER to help you through it... :wink:

Wow!!! Time has flown! 3 weeks and counting. So, start making up your packing lists, plug in the GPS coordinates, gather money $$$$$ :y: and prepare for 3 awesome days of flying high, or low depending on what your launching of course.
I hope to see many of you returning fliers on the field. New fliers are of course always welcome and feel free to find MARS members if you need anything. MARS Club has some of the most helpful people you'd ever want to meet and will ensure you have a great time.
Jim Goggins
NAR/TRA L3

Soooo... Anyone else register yet?!

Looking forward to being in the Finger Lakes region again. Never thought I'd miss it as much as I do right now... 9 more days!

Back