Loki Research 2014

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eggplant said:
Is there a place where I can pick up some of those nice new stickers?

Andrew, Sorry, I didn't mean to overlook your question. If you place an order, you will get one or more stickers included with it. That is the easiest way.

Andrew, Sorry, I didn't mean to overlook your question. If you place an order, you will get one or more stickers included with it. That is the easiest way.

Cool, another reason to look forward to my next order!

Scott, you might want to reword the front page.

There is written in huge letters "Only 2 Warrantied Loki Research reloads due to CATOs" which implies exactly the opposite of what you mean.

I would put it as "There have been zero reported CATOs with convolute liner reloads" or something like that.

Thanks for the input Carlo. How does it look now?

I would have put the date back further, but I really couldn't find the date record of "when" the last one happened. Needless to say, not very many in the past 3 years, at all.

Thanks for the input Carlo. How does it look now?

I would have put the date back further, but I really couldn't find the date record of "when" the last one happened. Needless to say, not very many in the past 3 years, at all.

To be honest, I would rather point out that there have been none at all since the switch to convolute liners. Don't mention that there were some of the old type, because that is just distracting from your message that Loki motors are absolutely reliable.

On the other hand, the disappearance of said message could mean sad news...

Don't mention that there were some of the old type, because that is just distracting from your message that Loki motors are absolutely reliable.

I understand you thinking, but that's not me. If something happened, good, bad or otherwise, I'm going to tell you. Even if it doesn't immediately help me right now. In the long run, being completely open and honest, even when not required of you will gain you more trust and respect over time. You also don't have to explain why you failed to mention something down the road that may have been pertinent at an earlier point in time.

That's why I was never the best/top salesman. In 20+ years of selling everything from vacuum sweepers, the home audio systems, to $500K power boats, I learned that the top salesmen were always the most dishonest and shady, not always to their customers either, as often it was to the other salesmen. I never made the most money but I never had to cover my butt or worry about what I had said, or not said. If I knew a boat had rotted out stringers in the bilge, even though you couldn't tell, I would tell you. Even if I was showing the boat to an enthusiastic pair of first time boat buyers and could have easily closed the deal, I still pointed it out to them and showed them how to tell, often at the cost of selling that boat. But, I educated them, I showed them what to steer clear of in a used boat. They were always grateful, often eventually buying a boat from me that they had far less problems with and always referring others to me.

So anyway, yes, there have been some CATO's of Loki Research motors, however they have almost exclusively been on older reloads that used the spiral wound liners. Most of the time they just result in a cracked nozzles. On some of these, the casting tubes were much thinner, and had a poor fit in the liner, sometimes causing excessive back burning on the propellant grain. (burning away the casting tube exposing more propellant) Thee is no date code or batch that can be pointed to as sometimes there were casting tubes used in the same batch that were from different tube lots. However, I can easily tell by looking at the casting tube itself. The 38/740 was the most common with the J-712. The simple fix was to wrap yellow masking tape around the grains until they are a very snug fit inside the liner. I said something about back this when I switched to convolute liners as I had a lot of reloads going out that were bagged with tapped up grains. That is about the time when I had identified the cause of any problem motors. I've been using the black convolute liners and a new casting tube manufacturer since early/mid 2012 and I haven't had a problem since. I mention something about it now, because I know there are still older loads floating around out there. They can be safely burned though, but check to see that the grains fit snug to tight in the liner. And when I say there were some problems, I can still count on two hands how many problems there have been since I've taken over Loki Research, and some of those were only replaced nozzles.

All in all, if you purchase a new Loki Research reload AND you assemble it properly you can be 99.99% confident that it will function* as advertised.

* - The timing function of delay elements will always vary based on temperature and other launch conditions.

What could be better is to put a line above it saying "Number of CATO'd motors since the switch to convolute liners: 0". You still tell all info.

You still tell all info.

From my point of view, that isn't all the info though. There are still Loki Research motors being bought and sold that were made before I even bought the company. I guess I'd just like to include everything new and old. Whether I made it or not, it still has my company name on the package. They still represent me and I still represent those reloads.

Very cool information ,the level three cert looks good . May at the end need those ns

Hey, you can afford this boat man1!!!!! Oh gas? yea that's like $600 a trip don't worry about it!!!! Cracks me up when I see those guys take their boats from the dock to the beach and sit there all day. Even better when the waves kick up and they have no idea what the hell to do. (oh NOS!!! I'm gonna toss out 12 foot of line on my anchor that'll help yea?) :)

Ah...motors....yes. Looking forward to lots of little 38's. against the grain I know. No haz and lots of fun.

Huge Thank You to Scott at Loki, I got my order yesterday! (and the day before [2 boxes])

I netted 2 new red loads, (one for the 54/2000 and one for the 54/1200) a white longburn for the 54/2000, a white bates for the 1200, a shiny new 54/2000 case, a 38/480 case, and an I405.

And let's not forget those baller-status stickers!

Thanks Again!

Talking with Scott about my next order... I am going to be about $200 poorer by the time I am done... but, I do get a shiny new 240 case.... :p

Got my 38mm 1200 case yesterday! Looks great, perfect for my md build. Scott also through in 2 of his decals and man are they cool! Thanks again:):)

wrong thread???

Yep. Hey, look at this instead.

My Madcow Rocketry "Tomach" flying on a Loki Research LLC. I316-Spitfire to 2,599 feet (10/12/13)
rocketober_2013-57.jpg rocketober_2013-58.jpg

Last edited:
Chuck, those are some great I-316 photos. Would you mid emailing them to me? When I can get the photo upload thing working on the website, I'll like one of them to the I-316 reload on the website.

And let's not forget those baller-status stickers!

I learned a new phrase the day I read this post. I hope that doesn't mean I'm getting old now. That would really suck.

BTW, don't forget, there are still some specials up on the Specials page for the newly certified reloads. The J-300 & K-527's are shown out of stock but there's 35kg of Loki Red currently curing right now waiting to be cut up for more to go around. There's at least one or two K-527's being flow this weekend and I'm hoping to get a photo of at least one to show you all.

I learned a new phrase the day I read this post. I hope that doesn't mean I'm getting old now. That would really suck.
Just please, PLEASE don't make the next round of stickers say something like "LOKI the Baller Rocket Motors & Accessories".

OK so I know these are crap photos but it's the best I could manage. It's my Minnie Magg on a H144. The thing took off much faster than I expected. The little H did some work. I love how the bright orange flame lit up the bottom of the Magg in the second photo. 2015 will see a lot of these burt for damn sure.

DSC_0005-L.jpg

DSC_0006-L.jpg

Another month, another picture-perfect flight on a Loki motor.

15133022584_16ee098ab0_h.jpg

I405 LW.

Wow.... that is cool Jeff! You burned a potential collectors item! I take that it was a great flight. :)
How big is that rocket?

I flew my first spitfire on Sunday. The H100. A very nice little motor. I also tried a new padcam view with my GoPro and it turned out quite well.

Some video grabs.

And lastly the video...
[video=youtube;NlNrGTNYjpk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlNrGTNYjpk[/video]

Back