Plans for BT60 Based Nike Smoke?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave carver

....what hump?
Reaction score
I got the SEMROC Nike Smoke nosecone and I'm having trouble finding plans for that scale. Can someone point me in the right direction?

If the nose cone is about 9.276" long, then the airframe length would be 12.916" (from GHS '64 drawing of the Nike Smoke). The scale factor I'm using is 0.099394, which assumes the actual OD at 16.5" divided by the OD of the BT-60 tube at 1.64".

Greg

If the nose cone is about 9.276" long, then the airframe length would be 12.916" (from GHS '64 drawing of the Nike Smoke). The scale factor I'm using is 0.099394, which assumes the actual OD at 16.5" divided by the OD of the BT-60 tube at 1.64".

Greg

I see I left out the tube size, it's BT60 so you have the right length :) Now, you got the root cord, tip cord, and span for the fins? Distance from the bottom for the fins? That's all that's needed for that rocket.

Last edited:
... Now, you got the root cord, tip cord, and span for the fins? Distance from the bottom for the fins? That's all that's needed for that rocket.

Respectively and in inches: 2.311, 1.004, 2.152, 0.686.

Notes:

The fin span is for a single fin, from tangent of airframe to end of tip.
The last dimension is from the bottom of the airframe to where the bottom of the fin root and trailing edge are.
Respectively, actual Nike Smoke dimensions (in inches): 23.25, 10.10, 21.65, 6.90

Greg

Thanks much :) I'm just about done with the build. Made the fins from 3/32th basswood and diamond'd the edges. Not exactly scale but that's ok. 6.75 BT50 for a motor mount, long enough for a 3 grain CTI F sized motor. I'm also useing an old LOC 29mm wire baffle and for a shock cord 6 feet of 1/2" Kevlar strap. Not sure on the parachute yet.

Great! I'm looking forward to the pics.

What motors do you plan to fly in it?

Greg

We'll start with a C11-3 and go up from there. I think I'm getting the set of CTI 24mm cases. The 6 grain is too long but there's an F in this rockets future, prob at Black Rock and XPRS. I want to find it on the playa and not out in the sage brush. A little fishing flasher would make it very easy to find a lost rocket at night.

Just want to mention that "Rockets of the World" has the Nike Smoke in it, and is in stock at NARTS and ARA Press. Because, uh, I get a share of the dough if you should chose to buy one. Just Sayin'.

Awwww, Peter, a shameless plug? ;) Heh, I still have that set of BT70 Black Brant fins. I also have a SEMROC tailcone with a 29mm mount setup. I'll be having Sandman make me a nosecone here in the future as there is none available off the shelf as far as I can find. I think the Brant is in the VCP library but I need a printer to get that to work so I'm in a quandry, Rockets of the World or a new printer.....hmmmmm

Just want to mention that "Rockets of the World" has the Nike Smoke in it, and is in stock at NARTS and ARA Press. Because, uh, I get a share of the dough if you should chose to buy one. Just Sayin'.
+1 for RotW!

By the way, I was reading the Black Brant section last night and noticed that there was no info on the BBXII. When is the fourth edition coming out?

Oh, and you gotta sell it on Amazon; I thought it was out of print.

Black Brant XII is in one of the supplements.

Black Brant 12 1of2.jpg
Black Brant 12 2of2.jpg

Haven't done much on the 5th edition in several months.

+2 for RotW!
One of the best investments I ever made in the hobby.

Back