Predictable rocket photography

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzie

Reaction score
One of my last year's projects was to photograph rockets. I wanted a perfect photo of every launch: rocket under thrust a few feet above launch pad. Typical shoot-and-hope approach proved to be inconsistent, so I devised a new system that captures a rocket launch exactly how you like it in the photo. Every time.

Courtesy recent snow storms, I had plenty of time to document it to share with other folks -- Link: Rocket Photography @ Rockets, Etc.

Thanks to CMASS club - it would not have worked without you!

-Ale:

One of my last year's projects was to photograph rockets. I wanted a perfect photo of every launch: rocket under thrust a few feet above launch pad. Typical shoot-and-hope approach proved to be inconsistent, so I devised a new system that captures a rocket launch exactly how you like it in the photo. Every time.

Courtesy recent snow storms, I had plenty of time to document it to share with other folks -- Link: Rocket Photography @ Rockets, Etc.

Thanks to CMASS club - it would not have worked without you!

-Ale:

Very cool!

EDIT: Not fast enough for a 200G boost pad shot, though--that takes a high framerate and luck. (60 ms = 50 feet!)

Last edited:
Hey,

nice looking system. I've done something similar but with a simpler triggering method. I'm using a clothespin with two strips of copper tape on the inside. Works on every rocket and you can quickly change between launch pads.
I'm using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-150 which has a pretty short shutter lag. Captured some pretty nice photos with this method.
Example:
bild4

some more: https://www.raketenmodellbau.org/forum?action=viewthread&threadid=801531&highlight=7631387&dummy=dummy#highlightedPosting
Thomas

Back