Building a Steam Punked M.A.C.M.E. Shrew (Fliskit)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been sitting on this kit for awhile now. just couldn't decide if I wanted to build it stright, Cow Planked or Steam Punked.

The Kit is a great one: Very clear instructions, and as usual Jim's parts are Top quality and very close fitting. I won't bother with the basic build photos. If you read and follow Mr. Flis instructions the model comes together in good time.

On this base model I've only modified the Stock Shock line and its attachment to the Nose plug. Since the Light cardstock rolled Nose cone it Packed completely full of clay I decided to drill a hole through the T2+ nose plug and pass the 70lb x 30" kevlar replacement shock line through it, epoxy attaching it to the clay filled nosecone and plug plate. Hopefully this will keep the nosecone assembly and the body together a bit longer:)

Below are a few pics of the completed base model as it's been sitting waiting for my finishing decission.

MM 401uc01a_Macme Shrew side-a_02-15-14.JPG

MM 401uc01b_Macme Shrew side-b_02-15-14.JPG

MM 401uc01c_Macme Shrew side-c_02-15-14.JPG

MM 401uc01d_Macme Shrew side-d_02-15-14.JPG

MM 401uc01e_Macme Shrew Base Const.Done_02-15-14.jpg

I've been Steam Punk bitten so the Planked construction option and just painting the model went out the window.

To start, several size styrene tubes, half rounds and rods were selected to give the model some "Plumbing". Small 3/32" square .010" lexan fin Attachment cleats were folded and all CA applied. Rivets will be added after to seams and attchments after the model is primered and sanded to remove most of the spiral seams.

MM 401uc02a_Macme Shrew Base SteamPunk side-a_02-16-14.JPG

MM 401uc02b_Macme Shrew Base SteamPunk side-b_02-16-14.JPG

MM 401uc02c_Macme Shrew Base SteamPunk side-c_02-16-14.JPG

MM 401uc02d_Macme Shrew Base SteamPunk side-d_02-16-14.JPG

MM 401uc02e_MACME Shrew Base SteamPunk Done_02-16-13.jpg

"Engine room,engine room,we need more steam" .
SteamPunk that is.....I like it, very nice,cool and all that jazz!

Looking good! Can't wait to see the final product and flight report :)

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Latest Update:
Primer sanded to 320 grit. Base coat Metallic Gold applied. waiting for Sniff test Dry before beginning the Rivet, Screen and hatch additions probably next week.

MM 401uc04_Base Metallic Gold paint_02-25-14.jpg

I know it's been a little while since Posting any progress on this model but Over the long snowy weekend I had a chance to finish up all the tiny rivet applications, made a couple hatch and window openings and added a couple more surface features.
Did not take a bunch of new Photos but have two each after detailing, and 2-tone paint finished.

This was Really a fun build, Thanks Again to Jim Flis for making this Downscale Spit-fire available.

With any luck at all the Plan is to Fly her this weekend at our Rain date monthly Club Sport launch.

MM 401uc05a_SteamPunk Macme Shrew rivets & stuff_03-17-14.jpg

MM 401uc05b_SteamPunk Macme Shrew Rivets & screeen_03-17-14.jpg

MM 401uc06a_SteamPunk MACME Shrew accent left_03-18-14.jpg

MM 401uc06b_SteamPunk MACME Shrew Accent right_03-18-14.jpg

Nice job, John! It looks like you used the Micro Mark 3D rivets. Those are awesome!

micromeister, don't think I've said this before, but I love the way you photo your models and overlay key stats.

Very cool, thanks for posting. I'm thinking about doing a steam punk themed rocket in the near future. Having a hard time wrapping my head around it. This helps !!

Very cool, thanks for posting. I'm thinking about doing a steam punk themed rocket in the near future. Having a hard time wrapping my head around it. This helps !!

One of the things that REALLY makes doing steampunk detailing far less of a hastle is the raised rivet HO and O scale decal sheets from Micro-Mark. On the expensive side but Oh Man are they faster and easier to apply than individual CA drops from a needle point!

The other thing I've found helpful is rolling two wrap computer paper tubes with white glue. These can then be cut into whatever length or shape needed for pipes, tubes and even gauges. I must admit Micro Scale Steampunk does create a few "scaling factor" challenges.

HO Raised Rivet Decals-a_MicroMark HO Scale sheet_08-11.jpg

HO Raised Rivet Decals-b_CloseUp decals & sheet #_08-11.jpg

O Scale Rivet Decal-a_8.5 x 11 decal sheet_09-12-11.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I looked at a lot, and I mean a lot of steam punk stuff. Seems like a ton of wiggle room to play with as far as styling goes. I think I'm going to try a JULES VERNE sorta look . For lack of a better description .

Back