estes altimiter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
Any one use one of these? Do they hold up or are they junk?

Andrew

I have one and have used it quite a bit. they work great and are well worth the money.

I have one. It works. Obviously I can't tell how accurate it is. I wouldn't call it junk. Has some nice features.

For the Price it probably can't be beat. I plan on getting one for my new Crossfire DX Build.

I bought one from Jon Rocket a couple weeks ago. I built a rocket to fly it in using 20mm tube with a Quest nose cone and two payload compartments. One is for the altimeter, which slips right into the tube - it is a bit too snug in a BT-20. The second compartment is about an inch long and is just the right diameter to hold one or more pennies for weight (Thus the name - Piggy Bank). I plan to use it for Set Altitude competition and under Rocksim each penny subtracts about 10 meters from the estimated altitude. With all the snow and nasty weather, I haven't been able to fly it yet, but I plan on trying it next month and dialing in to the planned altitude by adding or subtracting pennies. Since it will fly during the actual contest in a couple of months, I will be able to compare the reading with the tracked altitude (Rocksim shows ejection before apogee, so the final readings should correspond should match). And, yes, I did remember the vent holes in the altimeter compartment! ;)

Back