Mornin', paint geeks. Here's a paint geek question for you:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How do I get spray paint out of the can and into another container so I can paint with a brush?

The color I need to use is available only as a spray can but the item I need to paint can not possibly be spray painted. I need to apply with a tiny brush.

Surely someone has 'decanted' spray paint before, yes? How did you do it?

Many thanks,
-Carl

Turn the can upside down and vent all the aerosol. Then drill a hole in the can and pour it out.

I do this all the time - no need to over complicate it.

All I do is spray some out into a container (say a paper cup) - being careful of the fumes that might blow back, wearing a glove to keep the back/overspray from getting all over my hand. Spray paint usually dries very quickly so no need for lots - just a little at a time does it: perhaps 8-10 seconds of spraying.

That's all there is to it.

s6

I do this all the time - no need to over complicate it.

All I do is spray some out into a container (say a paper cup) - being careful of the fumes that might blow back, wearing a glove to keep the back/overspray from getting all over my hand. Spray paint usually dries very quickly so no need for lots - just a little at a time does it: perhaps 8-10 seconds of spraying.

That's all there is to it.

s6

That's exactly how I do it. A little at a time is all you need. I usually spay it onto the plastic bag that the kit came in.

David

I just hold the spray paint and the container inside a plastic trash bag, with both hands on the outside of the bag. I don't use paper or plastic cups though because once I sprayed lacquer into a plastic cup and it melted, making a big mess. For touch up painting I spray into a small ceramic cup and after I'm done I wipe it out with acetone.

Back