Transcript V-2 plan, fin oddity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDare

Reaction score
Im planning to build a A4/V2 model. Decided to transcript image files to AutoCad as to store the plans and general handling. I've started from the body so far but now comes the fins. Scanning distortions from original plans is something common but there's some misalignment between fins that are repeating through different source plans. Maybe a repeated mistake (classic Ctrl-C Ctrl-V)?

These are the "original" plans I'm using:
backfire-front.jpg
Klappe - Holsken.jpg

And these are the details on fins. I draw the red lines as reference. The insertion point of fins into body seems different one to another. The same pattern can be checked at the bottom part of fins (i.e. not equally leveled).

fin1.jpg
fin2.jpg
fin3.jpg

So, whats going on? Maybe fins are just like that considering specific working aspects of the V2? What should I do ath this point? Adapt and make all fins leveled the same ?

Apreciate any clue !

Looking a bit to the first draw it sounds correct to imagine that fin difference is probably used to even out weight not evenly distributed inside tail unit?
HmMm... im still clueless about it

It looks like your original plans came from this, which are German blueprints on the digipeer site, a wealth of information. Go to that link and click on the image and you can zoom in for more detail. I haven't found a way to download the full res image, but you can zoom in and do screen saves for the parts you're interested in.

For the fins, you may find this and this interesting too.

Randy

Last edited:
Hello there Randy.

These are interesting references for sure, thank you. The detailed fin plan doesnt have all that difference in top insertion point so it's somewhat confusing. Well, just saying. I think im Ok with just equally leveled fins for a V2 model.

Found some nice footage showing interesting details about rocket bottom part:

CapturedV2postwar.jpg
graphics10.jpg
V2_Rocket_Wreckage_by_ACSephiroth.jpg

No saying that I'm going to make some perfect model or something (also it's beyond my skills). But considering I dont really have a serious deadline, the most fun part (for me) is trying to extract as most as possible information through the various steps on the process.

And well, sorry for any bad English grammar here, by the way.

Cheeers

Last edited:
Now, this is cool:

From the first photo on the later post more other image:

FinDetail.jpg

Looks like the structure spot by the the red circle was just to enclosure the transmission mechanism, maybe not any real aerodynamic purpose. Though it is aerodynamic :p

All the fins are on the same plane, and they begin 345 mm from the top of the fin can.

Greg

Thanks Greg.

I made a mosaic with images from the plans of the museum link, for a more comfortable scale to read.
Had some fun in AutoCad copying the plans. The museum plans are the better copy but still, contains different kind of distortions along the documents. I tried to eliminate and even out these distortions in the draw, trying to have a consistent plan to start building (the detailed fin draw matches perfectly with the tail curves e.g.). There was some general horizontal alignment issues also on the plans, so that's other thing I tried to eliminate too. I hope I can use this source now for some CNC cutting :D

I printed just A3 copies for now (in PDF). I can print them in other formats if someone is interested.

Anyway, im not much sure about the antenna. All V2 "models" got those antennas? With ones with antennas, they are present in all the fins ?

Rodrigo

View attachment V2-P2-V1.pdf

View attachment V2-P1-V1.pdf

Last edited:
Wow Rodrigo! You've got skills!

Those are great drawings and I plan to add them to my collection. Thanks so much.

Greg

I'll second what Greg said Rodrigo, fantastic job !!

Ive been hunting for legible plans like these for a few months now. Thanks
for your time and effort.

Thanks Greg and Glenn,

I´m glad that you guys liked it and that the drawings can be useful.
There are other details on the original plans that are worth to be added to the drawings, stuff like the cross-section representations and compartment details. For now I'm more hungry about start building a real model instead of more AutoCad work, but I will add these details at some point in the future. I will update this thread with updated drawings when I finish them.

Salute !
Rodrigo

I hadn't noticed any difference in the station of the leading corner of the V-2 in any of the time I've spent researching it--everything I've seen implied that all the fins were the same. Here's my basic drawing, from "Rockets of the World" which I hope will come through at a useful resolution:

V-2 Dims RotW.jpg

By the way, both NARTS and ARA Press have "Rockets of the World" in stock, which I hope you'll consider buying. It's got drawings like this plus color schemes for a whole lot of rockets (I confess I've forgotten how many--I think it's around 200 versions of 150 rockets, but I could be off--it's been a long time since I've been selling them).

Last edited:
Back