Bo-Mar Spartan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie the Dog's Owner

Reaction score
I was rooting around at ninfinger.org and came upon the scans of the one and only rocketry products catalog issued by the Bo-Mar Development Company of East Syracuse, New York, a purveyor of varied models of 3FNC rockets based on Centuri ST-7 tubes.

69bomarf.jpg

I was particularly taken with this one, the Spartan:

Spartan.jpg

The "parts" page of the catalog lists ST-7 tubes (they don't call them that, but the inner and outer diameters are identical) in 9" and 18" lengths, a hardwood nose cone 3.25" long, and a plastic nose cone 3.5" long. Based on the "family portrait" on the back cover of the catalog...

69bomarb.jpg

...it appears that every kit in the lineup was based on the 9" tube except the big fella in the center, the Phoenix. The catalog describes the Phoenix as being 21" long--18" tube plus 3.25" nose cone actually makes it 21.25, but what's a quarter inch among friends? That makes the Spartan 12.25" in length (9 + 3.25). Taking measurements off of the back cover photo, I worked out dimensions for the fins, and came up with a design for a Spartan clone using a BT-20 tube and an off-the-shelf Estes plastic nose cone.

View attachment Bo-Mar Spartan v2 (scaled from illustration).ork

I'd appreciate your comments and critiques.

One of the recommended Motors is a B14-5. That must have been interesting.

Very cool. I've never seen one of those before. Nice find, and nice build.

Dale,
Tag Powell's company was Space Age Industires out of New Jersey. I don't know who ran Bo-Mar. I do have the Bo-Mar catalog and I "think" I have one of their plastic beige nose cones. Will have to look around in my collectables.

Chas

Yes, you're right - I knew he was one of the small companies of that time

Dale,
Tag Powell's company was Space Age Industires out of New Jersey. I don't know who ran Bo-Mar. I do have the Bo-Mar catalog and I "think" I have one of their plastic beige nose cones. Will have to look around in my collectables.

Chas

The Spartan made her maiden flight this afternoon on an A8-3. Excellent boost to about 400-450 feet, much higher than I'd expected. (It must really scream on a B14!) The shock cord ripped out of its mounting but both halves were recovered OK.

Back