OpenRocket bug

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Reaction score
There appears to be a bug in OpenRocket 13.11.2. When I double-click on a motor configuration is successfully displays the "Select a rocket motor" dialog. But then if I close that dialog and double-click a second time on any motor configuration, it throws this Java exception:

orexception.jpg

So I can only look at one motor configuration at a time before having to restart OpenRocket. It doesn't happen with all of my rocket configurations, but for the ones that have the problem, it occurs every time. I sent the bug report with the stack trace to the developer.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Yes I am having the same problem and also sent out the bug report.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Hi Nathan,

I got your bug report and am hoping you can help me track it down :)

Kevin

I also have issues with Open Rocket not functioning properly and have sent in numerous reports but still no fix.
I guess just be patient. What do you want for free. It is a volunteer effort.
Anthony

Hi Nathan,

I got your bug report and am hoping you can help me track it down :)

Kevin

Kevin, I replied to your email and I'll include the same info here.

I have determined that the problem appears to occur only when you close the "Select a rocket motor" dialog by clicking the X in the upper right of the dialog box. The problem does not occur if you dismiss the dialog using the OK or Cancel buttons. When I close the "Select a rocket motor" dialog by clicking the X, the problem always occurs on all of my ork files.

To reproduce the problem:
- Open an ork file
- Click on the Motors & Configuration tab
- In the motor mount column, double click on any motor in the list. The "Select a rocket motor" dialog will be displayed.
- Close the dialog by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the dialog box.
- In the motor mount column, again double click on any motor in the list. That's when it throws the exception.

Kevin, I replied to your email and I'll include the same info here.

I have determined that the problem appears to occur only when you close the "Select a rocket motor" dialog by clicking the X in the upper right of the dialog box. The problem does not occur if you dismiss the dialog using the OK or Cancel buttons. When I close the "Select a rocket motor" dialog by clicking the X, the problem always occurs on all of my ork files.

To reproduce the problem:
- Open an ork file
- Click on the Motors & Configuration tab
- In the motor mount column, double click on any motor in the list. The "Select a rocket motor" dialog will be displayed.
- Close the dialog by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the dialog box.
- In the motor mount column, again double click on any motor in the list. That's when it throws the exception.

I just confirmed everything you said above. 100% reproducible.
I hope this is able to help kruland.

You better believe it is helpful! That sequence of clicks bombs it out quite easily. I stepped through the code last night and couldn't track down the exact issue. I'll find it though.

Kevin

I just confirmed everything you said above. 100% reproducible.
I hope this is able to help kruland.

Kevin,

I tested the dev version that you sent me and it looks good. The problem that I reported appears to be fixed. Obviously I didn't do a full test but I spent about 15 minutes testing the features that I normally use and didn't find any problems. And that new feature is really cool! I won't describe it here since I'm sure it's still top secret. :)

I was going to take a look at the code myself just for fun to see if I could find the bug, but the source for version 13.11 doesn't appear to be out in Sourceforge. Although most of my Java expertise is with Websphere Commerce I have had some experience with swing based apps.

Thanks for the fast response!

Why isn't this new feature described on the OpenRocket development list? You have me curious.

(Or is it what I am thinking of which starts with a P?)

Why isn't this new feature described on the OpenRocket development list? You have me curious.

(Or is it what I am thinking of which starts with a P?)

It's no secret, I just built from master which contained that recently contributed piece of coolness which starts with P. I haven't been able to contribute anything of significance recently.

Kevin

Back