Yet another C RC-Rocket Glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've already stripped the covering off once so thats not a big deal. I thought of maybe adding a full depth .007 width carbon full dept spar half way between the leading edge and rib opening both in the front and back. I think even tissue and dope would stiffen it up more. I could apply a layer of carbon veil over the entire wing but this is going to add a bit of weight since I'll still need to cover over this.

I just finished shaping a sheet of 6mm Depron Foam into a wing for the glider. I plan of trying carbon fiber tow along the leading and trailing edges and 3/4 once fiber glass cloth over the entire wing. This might be stiff enough, but i wont know until I try it.

John Boren

I expect what you need is torsional stiffness....so a carbon spar won't help so much as following some of those diagonals with carbon tow.....but I didn't actually see the flutter mode so I'm guessing here. For the foam wing you could lay some carbon diagonals on the foam under the glass....but the glass will probably do it on its own.

I thought of good ol' tissue and dope as well....but then I thought about what the landing zone looks like at the Hudson Ranch....hence the suggestion of Litespan, which is a polyester "tissue" of sorts.

I've already stripped the covering off once so thats not a big deal. I thought of maybe adding a full depth .007 width carbon full dept spar half way between the leading edge and rib opening both in the front and back. I think even tissue and dope would stiffen it up more. I could apply a layer of carbon veil over the entire wing but this is going to add a bit of weight since I'll still need to cover over this.

I just finished shaping a sheet of 6mm Depron Foam into a wing for the glider. I plan of trying carbon fiber tow along the leading and trailing edges and 3/4 once fiber glass cloth over the entire wing. This might be stiff enough, but i wont know until I try it.

John Boren

I can pretty much assure you that it will be stiff enough, but only if the FG is laid on the bias. I flew a B-RG last weekend with a 25 psi XPS core and .75oz glass. There was no flutter even with the flaps cut into the wing with no facing. With no flaps your wing will be even stiffer.

So I went ahead and vacuum bagged a foam wing to the best of my ability and although I can see that it would in fact be stiff enough I'm not going to us it. It currently weights 69 grams. If I were to trim and sand it up to make it look pretty I bet it would be in the mid 50 gram range. I am also sure that anyone out there that has the correct equipment and knew what they were doing could make it much, much lighter and stronger. I just happened to find enough 1/4" thick 5.5 pound balsa sheets to make two new wings so I went ahead, spent one hour and I now have a new wing that should come out at just under 40 grams ready to fly which is a little heavier then I would like but should still work very well.

John Boren

I'll try and remember to weigh my last B/C rg wing when I get home tonight.

kj

Back