Online course in Space Systems Engineering -- free!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie the Dog's Owner

Reaction score
NASA and The Saylor Foundation are putting on a free online course called "Space Systems Engineering." No previous engineering experience required; you can just "audit" the course, but if you do the homework and pass the exam you get a certificate of completion.

I've already signed up, and I'm encouraging my engineering-nerd sons to take it.

First day of "school" is March 3, and it lasts for six weeks.

Press release here: https://www.nasa.gov/press/goddard/...-free-space-systems-engineering/#.UvltaIUreSq

Signup page here: https://www.saylor.org/sse-enrollment-page/

I just get a "form" error when I try to enroll.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Great! I will give it a go and I'll post it for our group members as well.

I didn't get an email like it said I was going to. Anyone else get one?

Nevermind, I am so out of it the last few weeks. I was thinking it was already March. I need a break.

Tomorrow is the day when this thing finally kicks off. I was so excited I thought it started a week ago.

I signed up. Don't know if I'll have the time to do much, though. I posted about it on g+ and Twitter. Maybe some of my current and former students will sign up.

I guess we will see if it is way over my head or not. Kicks off tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Signed up!!

This month I'm moving to another country so it's not the perfect month for something like this...

Apart from the each unit quizz and the final exam, are there other mandatory activities?

Signed up!!

This month I'm moving to another country so it's not the perfect month for something like this...

Apart from the each unit quizz and the final exam, are there other mandatory activities?

I don't see anything. Just read the material or watch what is there and then do the quizzes each week and then the final at the end of the course. There are discussion boards and some video chat deals that will be available but they won't be required to "pass" or anything like that.

The video lecture for the first week is highly entertaining--and once you decrypt the space nerd jargon, there's a lot of good advice for anyone who's managing any kind of complex endeavor.

Yeah, but that paper on the value of System Engineering...

"SE quality is difficult to measure, but may be quantified subjectively by the project participants."

WDTM?(!)

"Oh, I give it about a 7. It has a nice beat and it's easy to dance to."

Last edited:
Just didnt have time to do the course. In Vegas for a week and havent even done week 1. Was looking forward to it.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I also, have had "other things" take up my time and missed taking the quiz. But I'm just going to work through the material anyway since I don't care about getting a certificate. Just want the data.

I do have to say that a great deal of what I have reviewed has been redundant. I don't know if they get paid by the word or just trying to beat it into the reader.

Just my :2:

I guess the material will always be available. I don't necessarily care for the certificate either but generally when there is something at the end of the road it makes it easier for me to work hard at it.

Back