Arcie II 2 channel conversion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finao

Reaction score
Just received an Arcie II for my 20th wedding anniversary gift from the wife. I have wanted a boost glider since I was in the Jr. High rocket club back in 1982....took 30 years but now I have one! At any rate, looks like there is plenty of space for 2 servo's since the sizes and weights have dropped so much since the Arcie II was designed. I have some RC plane and heli experience and would like to add elevator to the bird.

My delimma is in the way the tail is attached as it does not overhang the end of the fuselage, I cannot simply cut 1/2-1/3" section and hinge. So has anyone done this and did you simply add a section of balsa at the end of the tailplane and hinge it (cutting a notch to clear the fuse)? Ideas appreciated, pictures even better!

Oh and happy to be here!

Russ

Arcee was my first rocket glider. It lived through many iterations, including ultimate conversion to pod configuration RCRG. It died in a spectacular staging CATO last year:

[video=youtube;5xQNJ_FWqls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xQNJ_FWqls[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xQNJ_FWqls

Stock Arcie uses an HS50 servo, still the going size after all these years. I recommend against using any smaller servos in it. What has changed is batteries, and indeed balancing an Arcie without the old NiCDs is a challenge. Mine needed nose weight :=)

I recommend against modifying this design. It's wonderful for a first boost glider, and is quite enjoyable for what it is. The modification you describe is possible (either lop off the end of the fuselage stick same as elevator, or add your elevator to the back of stab instead if subtracting it), but it's a little like putting a dual-deploy setup on an Alpha rocket. I encourage you to enjoy Arcie for what it is, at least until you bore of it.

Ari.

That was quite spectacular, too bad for the little arcie, I actually lucked into a second arcie kit, so I might indeed play with the first in stock config with one servo and convert #2 to 2 channel. I imagine balancing and getting correct cg will be interesting considering the low weight of modern radio gear and batteries. Looks like about 1/2 the original hi-tech gear weight. Did you have any luck thermal hunting with only ailerons?

THanks

Russ

Mine needed a quarter in the nose--it's about the right diameter.

Personally, I dislike having to track two things down: I like to fly my glider instead of trying to track the booster at the same time. All my gliders except Arcie in its original configuration have been RCRGs. Outside of that, I find Arcie a very pleasant, relaxing and reliable experience. I encourage you to enjoy it for what it is, and once you exhaust its capabilities--move on to a more elaborate design. After you fly Arcie a few times, you may find that you have a clearer vision of what you want in your next glider.

Ari.

Back