• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Estes Longshot BT-56 two-stage 1997-1998 era

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper Al

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to buy an Estes Longshot BT-56 two-stage kit from the 1997-1998 era. Specifically the black Longshot/Challenger II fin cans.
Thanks!

You can just scratch build it and may the fins out of ply . You can get the plans online

These are all valid suggestions, thank you.

As it turns out, though, I am literally looking for the Longshot's black fin can, as I am wanting to put together a proper Challenger II model. The Maniac (blue) and Eliminator (yellow) fins are the same, but I do not wish a paint-over effect. Similarly wood fins would only resort to if I could not find the right plastic fin can. And while I am able to find most old rocket plans online, not so the Challenger II or Longshot (2128). There is a parts diagram/card for a Longshot (1980), but that is a different rocket, single stage, balsa fins, etc.

I do own a couple of Eliminator kits, so that will be the source of my nosecone, and if necessary a yellow fin can to paint. I could also use this as my template to duplicate the fins in balsa.

Finding a Challenger II kit would be great, but I am thinking that coming across a Longshot, being much more recently sold, might be less pie in the sky? One sold on ebay late last year for 20-something, it seems.

Last edited:
If you have a NEW fin can I may have a black one. I'll have to look if you want to swap.
Brian, I just have the two yellow ones in my Eliminator kits, but both kits are sealed and the fins thus brand new. If you'd swap me a (also new?) black one that would be awesome. Thank you.

These are all valid suggestions, thank you.

As it turns out, though, I am literally looking for the Longshot's black fin can, as I am wanting to put together a proper Challenger II model. The Maniac (blue) and Eliminator (yellow) fins are the same, but I do not wish a paint-over effect. Similarly wood fins would only resort to if I could not find the right plastic fin can. And while I am able to find most old rocket plans online, not so the Challenger II or Longshot (2128). There is a parts diagram/card for a Longshot (1980), but that is a different rocket, single stage, balsa fins, etc.

I do own a couple of Eliminator kits, so that will be the source of my nosecone, and if necessary a yellow fin can to paint. I could also use this as my template to duplicate the fins in balsa.

Finding a Challenger II kit would be great, but I am thinking that coming across a Longshot, being much more recently sold, might be less pie in the sky? One sold on ebay late last year for 20-something, it seems.

The Challenger II was an easy cloning project. Use a full length 18" BT-56 with the fin can and cone from the Eliminator. The decal is available in the Decal and Template section at YORP. https://www.oldrocketplans.com/decals.htm Pick your internals based on your field. I built mine as an 18mm small field bird, but I think a 29mm version might be in my near future since the Estes sale.:cool: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=161150&postcount=3

The Challenger II was an easy cloning project. Use a full length 18" BT-56 with the fin can and cone from the Eliminator. The decal is available in the Decal and Template section at YORP. https://www.oldrocketplans.com/decals.htm Pick your internals based on your field. I built mine as an 18mm small field bird, but I think a 29mm version might be in my near future since the Estes sale.:cool: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=161150&postcount=3

You could make a bunch of Enerjet 1340 clones. :wink:

Enerjet1340 Family.jpg

I bought a Longshot kit several years ago from a place that was, by their claim, a pawn/hobby shop. My reason for the purchase was to take it to the NARAM that summer and donate it to the annual Robert L.Cannon Education Fund Auction. I proudly donated it. It sold for a dollar less than the price it cost. Hope it found a good home. Should have kept the darn thing.

Chas

And now I'm on the hunt for the black fin cans for this kit. I'm looking to clone the Challenger-II (2128) too.

Back