Replacement for Blackshaft?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Well, another competition season is almost upon us, and the builds are starting. But I have a question for the general population - does anyone have or know of a substitute for the phenolic impregnated tubing (aka "Blackshaft") that is so perfect for making altitude models? I don't remember who made it originally, but one of the members of our club still had some a couple years ago and sold several to me, unfortunately, I've just about used the 18mm tube up and I'd like to know what people are using as a replacement.

I've somewhat successfully made some tubing by making my own tubes with only two layers of paper and soaking it with CA, but the result is not quite rigid enough. I've considered picking up a package of finishing epoxy and coating a cardstock tube (one layer of 110# card), but keeping that round could be an issue. Any other solutions or experiments out there?

The best solution that I can think of right now is to roll your own with fiberglass and epoxy. Bruce Markielewski detailed his technique in an R&D report years ago, and used that technique to promptly set a bunch of Super Roc Altitude records.

You could contact Chad Ring and see if he has any blackshaft left that he'd be willing to sell you. Other than that, I am not aware of any appropriate commercial replacement product.

-Wolf

The best solution that I can think of right now is to roll your own with fiberglass and epoxy. Bruce Markielewski detailed his technique in an R&D report years ago, and used that technique to promptly set a bunch of Super Roc Altitude records.

You could contact Chad Ring and see if he has any blackshaft left that he'd be willing to sell you. Other than that, I am not aware of any appropriate commercial replacement product.

-Wolf

He's the club member I bought it from (I belong to Launch Crue). I plan to ask him at this weekend's meeting if he has any left, but even if he does, it won't last forever. Hence, I'd like to find some alternatives.

Find out who made it. Maybe it is made for another purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Greg & CW:
Old Apogee components sold BlackShaft tubing in 6mm, 13mm, 18mm and 24mm. I still have a limited stock and Like Chad and several others do not want to get rid of anymore.

.25oz single wrap super light weight fibre glass tube lay-ups Or Paper Tiger tracing vellum lay-ups are about the only currently available options for making Super lightweight competition airframes but both produce MUCH lighter models the good ol'e Blackshaft.

FibreGlass_Carbon Fiber & .25mil mylar_08-27-06.jpg

40mm-10mm-ss_1-wrap FibreGlass bodytube_03-94.JPG

640-sm_& 641 Taper Paper comp. Models_03-16-00.jpg

Blackshaft is XXX phenolic. You can get custom runs made by the same sources as phenolic motor liners. Expect minimum orders in the 100 foot range. I use Franklin Fibre. (They won't sell to individuals, use a company.) Get the dimensions from someone who still has some. Watch tolerances.

Back