BlackHawk38 flyers - Did you shorten?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
For those of you who've built/flown Wildman Blackhawk 38s - How many of you (if any) shortened yours, and if you did, by how much?

The fincan on these is WAY long it seems - much longer than the longest 38mm motor (and recovery bits of course) would require. When I shorten it in Rocksim and run some tests, it seems like there's plenty of margin left for stability even with the biggest motors. Especially if I've got the weight of a BRB900 tracker in the nosecone (which I will). I figured someone else must have noticed this and cut some length off theirs for a more compact rocket.

So did you? How did it work out for you? Any regrets?

thanks, s6

My first flight I did not cut the lower fin can.

Then once I flew it and saw how much space I could save. I cut the tube by 1 inch, then actually cut a new longer tube by 1 inch for the top to help pack the parachute and shock cord.

It would not hurt to shorten it, I am a fan of long skinny rockets so I prefer a higher fineness ratio.

I don't know how much space or how long the fincan is on the BlackHawk 38, but the CTI Pro38 6GXL is about 20" long. I would think you would want at least enough space to hold that motor. That would probably make the fincan 24" long or more.

Yeah, that's what I mean. The fincan is over 32" long! LOTS of extra room.

s6

Back