29mm Crossfire Up-scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I was just at the LOC Precision Site and ordered some 24mm MMT to make my Crossfires out of.
All of the Sudden, I decided to also get some 29mm Tubes to attempt an upscale.
No Idea where I'll get the Nose Cones, but it's on now!!!!:grin:

X2.....when you find the nose cone, post the source....I want a 29mm Crossfire too!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Check with Eric (ECayemberg); he's got a thread in Yard Sale with a bunch of nose cones....he might have what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I believe the public missiles conical nose cone is close.

https://www.publicmissiles.com/secure/components.asp?groupid=11

I think I'll likely go with one of these, thanks for the Tip. If I want it to look just like a Crossfire Nose Cone I guess I could build up the Shoulder and modify it to lengthen it just that little bit.

I'll bet one of these Rockets will go pretty fast on a G80-10 Single Use. 10 seconds to slow down should probably be good???

I think I'll likely go with one of these, thanks for the Tip. If I want it to look just like a Crossfire Nose Cone I guess I could build up the Shoulder and modify it to lengthen it just that little bit.

I'll bet one of these Rockets will go pretty fast on a G80-10 Single Use. 10 seconds to slow down should probably be good???

When I upscaled the satellite interceptor, which uses the same nose cone, I just added the flat length of the nosecone to the body tube length to make up for the use of a standard conical nose cone. If you want to build up the should, you could just use a short section of tube, glue it on and blend the whol thing with bondo.

When I upscaled the satellite interceptor, which uses the same nose cone, I just added the flat length of the nosecone to the body tube length to make up for the use of a standard conical nose cone. If you want to build up the should, you could just use a short section of tube, glue it on and blend the whol thing with bondo.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I love Bondo!!!

You can put an F10 in it from apogee and let it fly.....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I'm finally doing it. My 24mm Crossfire Clone is a resounding Success, and it is time for this.

Crossfire29Fins 002.jpg

Here's what I got so far. Everything will be "Overbuilt" and JB Weld Epoxy will be used extensively, so please hold your Tongue if you have any "Advice" or "Suggestions", ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE PERTINENT TO STABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In other Words, SU, and enjoy my 29mm Crossfire Build Thread. There will be lots of things that will upset RSOs', but we don't have RSOs' where I Fly, so just leave my Build Thread alone if you think you have something to add that does not match up with my already completed Mindsim.
The Rocket will be Built, and I WILL fly it. I'll do as usual and post a Video to rub it in the Stability Nazis Faces.
Crossfire29Fins 003.jpg

Last edited:
My only Regret will be that it only has three Fins. Thank goodness for those "Strake Thingies".:wink:

Looks really nice, what motors are you going to fly it on? Also, any nose weight or altimeter? Just curious.

Looks really nice, what motors are you going to fly it on? Also, any nose weight or altimeter? Just curious.

I plan on Starting with Estes BP 29mm Motors, unless I go too heavy, but being that the Rocket is so small, I think I'll be ok. This will also make it have plenty of Nose Weight.
Lots of Nose Weight. As much as Mindsim says it will handle.
Yes, I want to get an Altimeter, and probably fly it in my 24mm Crossfire first, so it will likely be an Estes or Jolly Logic.
Also, I don't care about setting Records, and want it to fly as low as possible.

Last edited:
I have a Jolly Logic Altimitertwo and it's very nice with lots of info, although I've had problems with it recording (I didn't have enough ventilation in the rocket). Black powder motors should work fine, since people fly them in Leviathans.

This is not going to look exactly like a Crossfire, because I'm taking a little "Artistic License" with it, but it will be close enough that it can still be called Crossfire 29X.

TR, I love the little fin jig you have there! What did you make that from?

I have always just attached my fins on the "looks right" principle and on every build I end up with 1 that is slightly off.

TR, I love the little fin jig you have there! What did you make that from?

I have always just attached my fins on the "looks right" principle and on every build I end up with 1 that is slightly off.

It's the Payloadbay Fin Template glued to some Foamboard. You just go to the Payloadbay Website, and click on Tools. It takes you to a Page where you can type in your Parameters and it will give you a PDF of a Template that you can Print. Glue the Template to some Foamboard and cut on the Dotted Lines with an X-Acto or Hobby Knife.

https://blog.payloadbay.com/

Got the second Fin on tonight. I'm using JB Weld, as it is good for spots that get hot. I cut Cross-Hatches into the Body Tube and Fin Mating Surfaces, then rubbed the JB Weld in real good before applying the actual "Glue Line" of it to the Fin. I left the front and rear 3/8" of the Mating Surfaces free of Epoxy so that I could use CA to Tack the Fin into Position.
Like the First Fin, I'll let it cure for 24 Hours before messing with it again.
When all of the Fins are in place, I'll sand smooth the Fillet Line before adding a Fillet of JB Weld.
A 110# Cardstock Papering will then be applied to make for an exceptionally durable Assembly.
When the Cardstock has cured, I'll paint over it with Finishing Epoxy, which will further strengthen it, and give me a durable surface that can be sanded smooth before Priming.

Fin 2 Crossfire29X 002.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good.
Thanks for the tip.
What tip you say?
I like your idea of using CA on the ends to tack the fin in place.
I see no reason why that wouldnt work glueing the fins on with elmers glue.

Looking good.
Thanks for the tip.
What tip you say?
I like your idea of using CA on the ends to tack the fin in place.
I see no reason why that wouldnt work glueing the fins on with elmers glue.

Thanks.

I learned that Tip here from someone, so Credit is due to Rocketry Forum.
I've used it with Wood Glue too.
On more than one Occasion, I've intended to use this Method, even had the CA right there in front of me ready to go, and then put the Epoxy/Glue on the entire Root Edge of the Fin.:facepalm:
Now before I start a Fin, I mask off the Ends with a little Tape to remind me to leave room for the CA.:)

All three Fins are on, but I've been busy painting Rockets that need it while the Weather is still "Paintable" Weather.
The Little Fin Thingies will probably go on tomorrow night then I'll post a Pic'.
Not looking forward to assembling the Nose Cone.

I've had to take a little break from this one because I've been trying to cram in other builds that need outside finishing Work, like Paint. It's going to be too cold to do any of that here soon.
I looked at it last night, and realized that one of my Fins is about 1.5mm lower that the other two. It won't change the Performance at all, so I'll chock it up to a "Learning Experience" and simply pay more attention to what I'm doing from now on and use an Index Line drawn on the tube.
It won't be noticeable when it's on the Pad.
I've also decided to buy a Nose Cone, instead of trying to make what I had in Mind from parts. I'll probably still make the one I was going to, but just as a Practicing Techniques Project.

Got the Papers all done. Now it's just Bondo, sand, Bondo, sand, Finishing Epoxy, Primer and Paint. I'll order a suitable Nose Cone soon.:)

Crossfire29X 002.jpg

I forgot to mention a Step.
4 days ago I sanded down the initial JB Weld Fillets that were the by-product of mounting the Fins, and applied a nice heavy JB Weld fillet to each Root Edge. I gently sanded those before applying my Paper Reinforcements.
I may one day get ballsy enough to fly a G 80 in this Bird, thus the Heavy Duty Construction Techniques.

I forgot to mention a Step.
4 days ago I sanded down the initial JB Weld Fillets that were the by-product of mounting the Fins, and applied a nice heavy JB Weld fillet to each Root Edge. I gently sanded those before applying my Paper Reinforcements.
I may one day get ballsy enough to fly a G 80 in this Bird, thus the Heavy Duty Construction Techniques.

I have no doubt it would hold up to a G80 without the second fillet or the paper. I routinely fly a stock Renegade D assembled with wood glue on F24W motors, even with the large pods on the ends of the long fins. You will be amazed at how well the balsa fins will hold up.

I have no doubt it would hold up to a G80 without the second fillet or the paper. I routinely fly a stock Renegade D assembled with wood glue on F24W motors, even with the large pods on the ends of the long fins. You will be amazed at how well the balsa fins will hold up.

I used Basswood, so I'll definitely be fine.
It's time to order a Nose Cone.

Ordered the PML Urethane NC, and got some of the Bondo sanded down to cover the Seams.
Later today I'll finish sanding and get the Fin Strake Thingies on there.

Bondoandpaper 001.jpg

Today I finished sanding the Bondo down, then got the "Fin Thingies" mounted. The JB Weld will take a day or so to set up and cure, then I'll fill and sand as necessary.:)

Crossfire29X 005.jpg

Got the JB Weld on the Fin Thingies sanded down. Now I can paint the entire Airframe in Finishing Epoxy, which will soak into the 110# Cardstock and harden to make a very strong Airframe.

Crossfire29X 003.jpg

Latest posts

Back